Beta Dink Smallwood

Esn

(:";
Website
esn.newgrounds.com
WizardStan ported this last July.

aMuCc.jpg

Download: http://apps.open-pandora.org/cgi-bin/viewapp.pl?/Game/freedink.inf

EDIT 2011-02-12: Cobalt made a port with proper controls and music! Download here: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=DJMDE2VJ

I'm making this topic because there wasn't an official discussion topic for the game.

I just want to say that the game works, but it's a bit awkward to play because it plays in a Window instead of fullscreen, and the keys are lazily mapped like they would be on a PC (Enter, Space, etc.). WizardStan, I don't suppose you could make it fullscreen and map the keys to A/B/X/Y, please?

Last edited by a moderator:
Esn said:
WizardStan ported this last July.

aMuCc.jpg

Download: http://apps.open-pandora.org/cgi-bin/viewapp.pl?/Game/freedink.inf

I'm making this topic because there wasn't an official discussion topic for the game.

I just want to say that the game works, but it's a bit awkward to play because it plays in a Window instead of fullscreen, and the keys are lazily mapped like they would be on a PC (Enter, Space, etc.). WizardStan, I don't suppose you could make it fullscreen and map the keys to A/B/X/Y, please?

AFAIR, you can go Fullscreen with ALT-Enter or F11, but I also would love to have a proper keymapping :D

BTW: Is there music available for the game as well?

Last edited:
The keymapping would be nice. I find this to be a problem in a fair few of the games/emulators released. The performance is great but the lack of proper input makes it a lot harder to enjoy the games.

Version with proper controls and music.

freedink.pnd

Game keys
-----------------
<D-Pad> Makes Dink walk/push
<X-Button> Attack/Use equipped item/Select option
<B-Button> Talk/Examine/Manipulate
<A-Button> Use equipped magic
<Y-Button> Inventory/Equip screen
<Start> Options
<Select, M> Display map (if you have one)
<Alt-Enter> Toggle fullscreen mode

Critical_Impact said:
The keymapping would be nice. I find this to be a problem in a fair few of the games/emulators released. The performance is great but the lack of proper input makes it a lot harder to enjoy the games.
Indeed, funny how a side-effect of the Pandora design is that there are so many buttons that a lot of hastily-ported programs don't make very smart use of them.

Cobalt, thanks a lot! (what a nice first post! ...wait, you registered 5 years ago?) I've updated the wiki list and I'll be giving this a try soon.

Esn said:
WizardStan, I don't suppose you could make it fullscreen and map the keys to A/B/X/Y, please?
I would have, but I didn't think anyone was actually playing it, didn't seem to be any interest. Cobalt beat me to it anyway. :)

WizardStan said:
Esn said:
WizardStan, I don't suppose you could make it fullscreen and map the keys to A/B/X/Y, please?
I would have, but I didn't think anyone was actually playing it, didn't seem to be any interest. Cobalt beat me to it anyway. :)
Hmmm, is there a way to rate a game/port/playability/whatever?
This was actually the nicest game I played on the pandora. Don't get me wrong, I've done a lot with my pandora, but as for games, I've got a very specific taste. WizardStan's kept me going and made me almost forget about parallel kingdom...
The next nice game I see on the horizon is flare... And maybe baldurs gate if it is readable :)

What I played of Dink was hilarious but the controls did hamper it, but I think the lack of feedback was possibly the early timing of this release amongst the myriad of other potential "have to check that nostalgia X" and the tiny user base at the time. I look forward to trying this properly once a few other titles are out the way.

Flare seemed really nice but am I right that its more a demo level at present? Baldurs is a hole other life but I gathered it runs nicely. For most things I am mostly waiting for the TV OUT cables though, mostly.

Back