DinoDefense - Too easy? Too hard? Just right?

How did you find DinoDefense (difficulty wise)?

• Too Easy

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Just Right

Votes: 11 84.6%
  • Too Difficult

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Don't know or care. Never played the game.

Votes: 1 7.7%

• Total voters

iprice

Certified Guru
Website
Visit site
I have been continuing to work on DinoDefense this week and I've implemented a couple of new things that give certain existing units more important roles which could now be significant game changers - making the game easier. The changes make sense and they will be staying, but I want to ensure the balance and difficulty curve of the game is not ruined. As a result I propose to make certain dinos more of a challenge (both in their HP and the way that they are damaged) so that they are more of a threat and less like cannon fodder. Obviously this will only affect the existing dinos - I've got a lot more to come and all will have their own challenges to overcome...

Last edited by a moderator:
Well generally I found the game's difficulty to be just right when using no upgrades besides the new towers (maybe a bit too hard at places even), but it could be made too easy by purchasing the (unlimited?) upgrades to the starting money and totem rate and as I have written in my "review" here I would remove those completely.

Glad you keep working on this, I am looking forward to this very much :)

If you need a beta tester or some help with a Pandora built, feel free to ask me.

I am with foxblock there. The unlimited upgrades should be limited to eliminate grinding, but the overall gamedifficulty is fine.

Especially for the first world I wouldn't raise the difficulty.

But it makes a lot sense to give some units more purpose, as the helicopter guys. You can easily win without them and they don't do much overall damage.

Voted a ´just right´ but will let you know that I enjoy only hard to impossible games,

so I presume higher difficult levels will make me happier.

I can currently replay levels to gather bones to help pass the levels I get stuck, but I prefer to try win them 1st time and on high stars to count on my own mind :)

With most tower defence style games there exists a guaranteed win strategy, such as spamming a certain turret, but I struggled to find a simple one in DinoDefence. Most of the levels I managed first or second time which is probably how it should be, but a few I got more stuck on. Grinding helped win these, since I just played the first level for another 100+ bones and bought more starting money. Maybe you could limit it to buying 1 or 2 upgrades per level completed? This way you can track the upgrades the player should have available at each level and balance it appropriately. More enemy types is always good, too, since it shakes up how the player can build their defence. Maybe look at how players currently develop their defences and see how you could screw them over? Plants vs. Zombies was excellent at this; it gets you thinking it's okay to hide all your stuff behind a giant nut, then it starts giving zombies ladders and the ability to fly.

Last edited by a moderator:
I need to replay some newer version before voting, anyway the first time I played the game I needed to replay the same levels for some time in order to be able to proceed... I think the difficult part starded with the velociraptors

Balance is just about right for me. I say leave in the option to grind your way to success, you don't have to play that way if you don't want to.

If you want to placate both camps then maybe give an option to turn off unlimited upgrades.

Thanks for all the great work so far.

Back