Divx Contains Adware (free Version)

tim0391

Website
Visit site
im sorry upfront if you allready know about this

i quote from pc format issue 164 june 2004 interveiw with jerome rota divx guru

pc format : " why choose to distribute the free vrsion of divx pro with spyware in it? its rather controversail decision, in an era where people are obsessed with privicy on there pc.

jerome: first of all i would not call it spyware its adware but not nearly as odious as spyware out there.

a bit later on

jerome: and if they dont want to pay for the pro version they can get the free version with a few pop up ads.

funny this topic should come up, just recently I almost lost my computer to that very adware. Yesturday actuelly. But thanks to safe mode and system restore points, I'm here today!

DivX Pro the free version has contained Adware for years. But, to be honest, I never really found myself needing much more than the simple version. And of course, there's a fair few cracked copies of DivX 5/6/whatever pro in a few of the codec packs that get passed around a lot...

fragment posted on Jul 19 2006 at 08:31 PM said:
This was true two years ago.. current versions (5.2 onwards) do not have adware.

And how is this GP2X related anyways?

people use divx to compress dvds without losing quality to put on their gp2x

Last edited by a moderator:
Meh, I think xVid gets better compression quality anyway. Use it instead.

Well at least download.com has the latest versions with no spyware in it.

Just use mega codec pack from codecguide.com
Its got the latest divx codec without the shit player and spyware.

sam fisher posted on Jul 19 2006 at 11:55 PM said:
Ok, sorry. Basically divx is mostly spyware lol It trys to install google tool bars and shite like that last I checked, even with the free versions.

o is that all it installs when i installed it it did install google toolbar and google desktop but you normally have the option to say yes or no to it but you can just remove it manually

and no need to apologise :)

Last edited by a moderator:
yer should of done that :p i use firefox so i can delete my cookies aswell but cant micrsoft track what you are doing when you send a error report well thats what i was told :huh:

Back