Divx Movies...

lemoncurdstevey

Still Fresh
just recently got my lovely gp2x. however i put an avi decoded divx movie on my 4gb sd card and it says its opening then it just freezes. heres the details of the movie..............

AUDIO......MP3 48000Hz 112 kb/s CBR (2 chnls)
VIDEO......794 kbps XViD 23.976 FPS
Q.FRAME....0.236 bits*pixel
RESOLUTION.516 x 272 (1.897 (55:29)
SUBS......None
FILES......1
SIZE.......701 MB
SOURCE.....NTSC DVD
MOVIE LENGTH....01:47:31

what do i need to do to get this ickle movie playing??
cheers......

my guess is the file is too big and the resoultion you're using is too high. You can try MP2X and it might help. Take a look at the wiki for video encoding (and do a search on this forum, it's a well discussed topic). People recommend using a few encoders - pocketdivx encoder, avidemux, etc. You really don't need any resolution greater than 320x240 IMO and you can get your divx files down to half that size or more (~300 MB) which is much better for your SD card anyways.

I've always had problems playing longer videos try spliting it into parts and also make shure you have fully charged batteries.

EDIT: sombody got a better answer in before me

steveyrocksdude said:
just recently got my lovely gp2x. however i put an avi decoded divx movie on my 4gb sd card and it says its opening then it just freezes. heres the details of the movie..............

AUDIO......MP3 48000Hz 112 kb/s CBR (2 chnls)
Q.FRAME....0.236 bits*pixel
RESOLUTION.516 x 272 (1.897 (55:29)
SUBS......None
FILES......1
SIZE.......701 MB
SOURCE.....NTSC DVD
MOVIE LENGTH....01:47:31
what do i need to do to get this ickle movie playing??
cheers......

I assume you mean ENcoded.. ;) I would guess on the Q.FRAME thing.. Re-encode it without that and try again.. :)
I use one of the scripts from the file archive, it scales to a resolution that fits the screen and everything.. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
prairiefire said:
my guess is the file is too big and the resoultion you're using is too high. You can try MP2X and it might help. Take a look at the wiki for video encoding (and do a search on this forum, it's a well discussed topic). People recommend using a few encoders - pocketdivx encoder, avidemux, etc. You really don't need any resolution greater than 320x240 IMO and you can get your divx files down to half that size or more (~300 MB) which is much better for your SD card anyways.
You are all amateurs. bah.

The GP2x has a scaler chip that can handle a movie that size easily. Q.frame just means how many bits per pixel on each frame. Its just an absolute measure of quality.

The problem is that the movie is likely a Divx 6 movie and the GP2x cannot play Divx 6 correctly. I expect it has B frames enabled or something similar. Re-encode it and it should work. There are some settings here.

Divx Movies..., Cannot play avi files...?

steveyrocksdude said:
sam fisher said:
...Divx 6...
o_O Whatever Sam says.

hey dudes....
reading through all your replies. its all good. thanks for you help...

now a new problem has arisen......... :blink:

my newly encoded movies are in there and working.....kind of.......

so many minutes (around the 18/20 mark...) into watching the movie the whole system freezes. this actually happens when i play the emulation and so forth too. it seems to be the sd card(am i wrong?). are 4gb sd cards bad or something? anyway i'm one step closer to mobile movie heaven anyway.

i have firmware version 3 on there. it was packaged with that. does that have a bearing on it?

divx6 is what i'm running...... :angry:

anywho........ gotta keep trying............

:gp2x :gp2x :gp2x :gp2x :gp2x

my bet at any problems is always on batterys, and im right with that most of the time, so try different ones :)

sam fisher said:
prairiefire said:

The GP2x has a scaler chip that can handle a movie that size easily. Q.frame just means how many bits per pixel on each frame. Its just an absolute measure of quality.

The problem is that the movie is likely a Divx 6 movie and the GP2x cannot play Divx 6 correctly. I expect it has B frames enabled or something similar. Re-encode it and it should work. There are some settings here.

Sam,

Why then does my GP2X stutter when I have a movie (that I've encoded) with a higher resolution (can't remember off the top of my head but the filesize is ~700 MB) and if I only change the resolution (down to 320x240 (filesize ~300 MB) the stuttering goes away?

What caused the stutter?

Probably the bitrate is too high. High resolution movies often have high bitrates the GP can´t handle. However with twopass encoding and a reasonable audio bitrate it is possible to create 720x480 movies that won´t stutter.

Put....the....viedo mode....on....FULL.

I had a 576x320 resolution video on mines and it played just fine. It was XVID.

Back