DIY Raspberry Pi heatsink!

Kippykip

BFG 9000
Website
kippykip.com
Just break of a pair of staples and put thermal paste underneath xD:

capture2.jpg

Normally when I have the galaxy screensaver running, I get a hot temperature icon in the top-right corner of the screen which is a shame as I really like looking at it and I'm using a CRT for this.

Since I've done this, it's seems to have solved the heat issue for me somehow despite being pretty stupid, I've had the screensaver on for about a half-hour.
Now obviously it's not going to work as a traditional heatsink, but it's still better than no heatsink if you're a cheap-scape like me.

Neat. You could probably attach a more traditional heat sink with a little more putty on top and then the veined heatsink atop that, although I'll leave any plans to clamp it there as an exercise for the reader.

If you ask me, this is a traditional heatsink, and all those things with veins and fans should be named radiators. I also guess since the Pi's CPU is attached via an integrated BGA, there's no pins hanging on the outside for the staples to short against.

Neat. You could probably attach a more traditional heat sink with a little more putty on top and then the veined heatsink atop that, although I'll leave any plans to clamp it there as an exercise for the reader.

If you ask me, this is a traditional heatsink, and all those things with veins and fans should be named radiators. I also guess since the Pi's CPU is attached via an integrated BGA, there's no pins hanging on the outside for the staples to short against.
You mean like break off more staples and put them sideways in the center of the first staples (with the paste of course)?

Back