Do you like noise, Do you like evolution?

Bosbeetle

Terminally lost
Website
Visit site
I started a project using puredata that is kind of a music evolution thingamajig. What I did I mated 2 songs (that resulted in one hell of a racket). The 2 songs got 4 children, those 4 children got voted and the strongest (by human ear) got 8 children people voted again and now we have 4 children in the third generation.

I could use some extra votes to see this through, I plan on keeping this going a long time, more votes would make me very happy.

Listen to the songs here :

http://soundcloud.com/bosbeetle/432412-1

http://soundcloud.com/bosbeetle/432412-2

http://soundcloud.com/bosbeetle/432431-1

http://soundcloud.com/bosbeetle/432431-2

Vote here:

Poll: Who are you?

[*]432412-1

[*]432412-2

[*]432431-1

[*]432431-2

Tussenstand:

click here to see the results up to now

I can't make out, which one I like more or which one I like less. Sorry :/

This would be right up my alley, really :) I'll have a listen later tonight.

I had a day job as a sub-editor at the NME. I would get the superstar hacks (RIP Steven, die slowly Julie) sending me copy : 'The Future of Rock Music' (Carter USM) 'Uninspiring' (Stone Roses) 'Wankers' (Neds Atomic Dustbin) that I then tidied up and sent to print.

Not once did they send any recordings of the gigs. Just opinions. I hated that job - looking back now it's mostly down to jealousy. I thought they were shite journalists, they thought I was a shite subby.

Having listened to bosbeetles recordings, I now see why I never got the reviewers gig - beauty is in the ear of the beholder, or, in other words - you had to be there.

This is my review of bosbeetles recordings : Wanksock

I had a day job as a sub-editor at the NME. I would get the superstar hacks (RIP Steven, die slowly Julie)
What's up with that?

What's up with this?

I knew both Julie and Steven.

Sony - here's a tip for life. Don't comment or take action on things you don't understand.

I love you dude, but, and I mean this at the most base level, try a book.

Oooh, this is awesome experimental music! I really like the idea with music and songs getting granualized into one another. Meanwhile I'd probably tweak it a bit so that the volume isn't as "wobbly" to form more of a sound-mat personally, I'm quite fond of the results you're getting. But then again, I've always liked noise, drone and dark ambient. The very reason for why I run my dark ambient radio... and make my own dark ambient/experimental music with my group Erebus.

Keep up the good work, and if you like this kind of music I can recommend Norbergfestivalen, a festival dealing in only mentioned genres =)

Sorry guys I will do another mating this week, some real world stuff happened forcing me to do other stuff last week.

Thanks for the comment Zelest, I like the genres you mentioned the festival sounds very interesting. To return a suggestion there is a dutch radio station dealing with similar kind of musical genres (in a broad sense) that sadly is about te quit due to funding problems but I highly recommend listening to it while it is stille possible http://www.kinkfm.com/kinkxrated Its very high quality radio.

Another reccomendation for you is wtfmusic.org a very nice community dealing with all kinds of music that does not fit anywhere else :D .

Thanks for following my soundcloud I hope I can keep this up. I've looked into making it less wobbly or less cut'n'paste and will implement subtle changes changing the wobbly nature over time.

Edit : [i am listening to your erebus soundcloud now and I like it a lot :) really up my alley, a bit like coil and lustmord, I love the clock song!]

Last edited by a moderator:
But it's just (non-musical) noise though?

There is no such thing as non-musical noise, actually there is just sound. Go to a park and just listen it's the best music no one ever composed.

(I am a fan of randomly generated music, be it by design or just by natural occurrence)

Last edited by a moderator:
But it's just (non-musical) noise though?
There is no such thing as non-musical noise, actually there is just sound. Go to a park and just listen it's the best music no one ever composed.

I have to disagree here. That's not music. That's ambience. Very pleasant to listen to, I agree, but not music.

Music is not random. Algorithmically composed music has a modicum of soul as it takes a programmer to design the routines that take the various inputs and combine them into something approaching musicality.

The reason music makes sense to us is recognition. We hear patterns in the music, however obtuse. But the reason it touches us is meaning. Implied or imaginary.

As an experiment randomness is fine but so many people have tried a similar approach and, at best, it's background muzak.

Don't mean to pish on yer chips but, as Sony said, it's just noise.

No offence.

Back