Dingoo Does Dingoo Support Bilinear Filtering On Hardware?

HexDump

Still Fresh
Hi!,

Sorry if this is a so basic question, but I'm new to dingoo (waiting for it to arrive) and would like to know if bilinear filtering is supported by the hard.

Thanks in advance,
HexDump.

Hi!,

Thanks for the answer slaanesh.

Just a little thing, is it difficult to get this under dingux? The problem with the dingoo (and others) is that screen is little and without scaling sometimes I don't really see anything (I'm getting old you know :) ). My idea was to add scaling + filtering to all emulators I ussually play (mainly speccy). But for this, I need a good bilinear filtering algorithm on hard.

Thanks in advance,
HexDump.

As far as I can tell the filtering is only available when converting from YCbCr to RGB565 so you can't filter RGB textures with it at all.

Hi!,

This seems pretty odd to me. So, emulators made for native work with all frame data in YCbCr and then convert the frame buffer to 565 rgb? :S.

Thanks in advance,
HexDump.

I am really looking for this. Mainly for gPSP and Snes9x. And maybe Picodrive for 256x224 games...

Does anyone have more info about this?

thanks

Rodrigo Cardoso said:
I am really looking for this. Mainly for gPSP and Snes9x. And maybe Picodrive for 256x224 games...

Does anyone have more info about this?

thanks

Here is the hardware documentation: http://www.amebasystems.com/downloads/hardware/datasheets/ben-nanonote/Ingenic-SOC-JZ4720/Jz4740-PM/

You want to look at the IPU (Image Processing Unit) for the video scaling.

To use the hardware registers you can use this header file: http://wakaba.c3.cx/dingoo/JZ4740.h

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks flatmush, i will take a look. =)

Did you already tried something about it?

No I didn't do anything with the IPU but I read all those docs just to see what the soc was capable of.

I think i have all the info I need now :)
Mplayer sources have the code i need.

Too bad I will not have time this week, because University exams.
But now I know where to start looking =)

I may well be wrong, but if you program the IPU to use YUV 4:4:4 and program an identity matrix then wouldn't that work for scaling RGB888?

Hmm maybe not, looking at the spec you have to provide Y, U & V address word aligned so I don't think it will work with interleaved YUV or RGB data :(.

You can't make the input identity convert to RGB, no matter what coefficients you use the Y component will contribute linearly to all three RGB components.

I don't know where the alpha blending is done by the IPU, in RGB or YUV space (is the latter even possible?) but I think it doesn't matter.

You can convert from RGB to YUV or YCbCr but it's questionable that it'd be faster than doing the blended scale in software. You'd probably want to use the SIMD extensions either way. If the emulated platform operates fully in paletted color spaces (ie, NES) then you can convert the palette to YUV, but you still have to de-interlace it later.

Back