Does The Arrival Of Pandora Mark The Death Of Gp2x Development?

BadAstronaut

Still Fresh
Website
Visit site
I'm pretty new here, so if this thread is too similar to an existing one, a mod can just close it and I will carry on the discussion in the other thread.

So, as the title suggests, does the upcoming release of Pandora mean that GP2X development is coming to an end? It seems like it is the open source equivalent of a 'next gen' console, and is superior in nearly every way to the GP2X (except that it is maybe not so much a console as a mini-laptop, but that's another debate).

Anyway, I just got my F-200, literally 2 days ago. I'm blown away by the amount of software and what all has been done on the machine. From browsing the forums, however, I am beginning to get the feeling that my new handheld is on the way out, and it may never realize its full potential because developers and programmers are moving over to Pandora instead.

Are my fears unwarranted? Or are my concerns justified? I'd really like to see more apps and ports specifically designed for the F-200 (mainly just the touchscreen support I'm after, for mouse driven ports of DOS/Amiga games, mouse support in PSX emulators, etc).

So I open the question to you, the community: does the arrival of Pandora mark the death of GP2X development?

Somewhere between, as far as I can gather. Devs generally dev because they find it fun. A fair bit of that fun is trying to get as much punch as possible out of a lower-power machine. Pandora is not a lower power machine, ergo some of the fun of GP2x developing is lost.

Admittedly, a lot is gained (there are, as I understand it, lots of other pieces of hardware in the Pandora, and there seem to be a fair few devs interested in exploiting them), but that urgency of optimization, and slight question as to whether, once it's got everything in, it'll actually run fast or not, is somewhat lost for day to day projects.

There's also a nice thread http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=40252 there, which contains a list of declared projects for the 2x during 2008 (let alone the undeclared ones), so there's at least some life left in it.

On another note: *mouse* support in PS1 emus? I realise this may be a silly question, but whatever for?

Last edited by a moderator:
The releases seem to have slowed down a bit since Christmas, partly due to trends but I would say more due to the Pandora being released fairly soon. Devs (in my opinion) do not want to work on larger projects when the Pandora is out so soon. We are probably getting the finished projects started a few months ago?

The GP32 literally died over night when the GP2X was released. I don't think this will happen as much with the GP2X and Pandora, there is still plenty of life in the GP2X, but I wouldn't expect as many constant releases once the Pandora is out.

And X-COM works with the PS1 mouse, there's a few games iirc. I bought the mouse just for X-COM :)

This quesiton comes up for every new device.

I'll throw this out -- perhaps it has more to do with the age of a device, not the worry over a new one coming in? ie: At the beginning there is always a rush, since everything is new.

jeff

Tobriand said:
On another note: *mouse* support in PS1 emus? I realise this may be a silly question, but whatever for?
Games like Discworld, Command and Conquer etc used a mouse on the PS1. Quite a few more games, as well, I think.

skeezix said:
perhaps it has more to do with the age of a device, not the worry over a new one coming in? ie: At the beginning there is always a rush, since everything is new.
Sure, but I hope this is the 'beginning' for the F-200, not the end of the GP2X... :|

"GP2X development" is not a "developing for GP2X",
is this to mark something for somebody who cannot do neither of both?

Ugly designed panda will be shaking in agony under the light of F200
3000+ heretics shall be cleansed in fire :) and their leaders' minds will rot with worms

God bless the inquisition!

btw: I should be writting RPG now :)

There is a lifetime of stuff to enjoy on your GP2X as it stands so I wouldn't worry too much.

My theory is that touchscreen support has never really taken off on F200 partly due to the lack of USB networking (more fiddly to test software on). As a result, devs didn't bother upgrading to the F200 and/or don't enjoy developing for it as much as the F100.

i wouldnt say it marks the death of it but when it does come out then most devs will start developing for the pandora instead

BadAstronaut said:
So I open the question to you, the community: does the arrival of Pandora mark the death of GP2X development?
Well GP2X development has slowed pretty much already. I would imagine the Pandora would impact the GP2X somewhat. The Pandora will not be out for awhile so I wouldn't worry too much yet. Also many of the emus and ports are pretty much good already on the GP2X. A few like SNES could be faster but there are alot of things to keep you busy. I doubt you will run out of games to play on the GP2X. Things like PSX won't be fullspeed on the GP2X but that is not because of development, it is due to hardware limitations.

It will be hard for the GP2X to die, since it is very approachable to develop for. There will always be someone willing to do new ports or come up with original software, not a month will go by without a bunch of new things to put on your SD. Add that to the massive library of existing software, and you'll know you have a winner in your hands :)

BadAstronaut said:
I'm blown away by the amount of software and what all has been done on the machine. From browsing the forums, however, I am beginning to get the feeling that my new handheld is on the way out, and it may never realize its full potential because developers and programmers are moving over to Pandora instead.
The GP2X will never realize its full potential because of several problems with the hardware and software that the Korean company who makes it seem content to ignore.

There have been 3 major hardware revisions and there is still no onboard USB output, and the shoddy "cradle" is way overpriced and requires 2 $20 power supplies on top of the ridiculous cost.

The "Dpad", or as I like to call it the left 4 face buttons, is their idea of fixing the F-100's useless and very low quality joystick. It doesn't pivot on a center axis and that is bad if you want to properly play.

The updates on the software are lousy, every revision past 2.1.1 added nothing useful. The Video output is capable of VGA or Component, yet even the TV output is crap.

The chip is undocumented where it counts.

I would say it has realized its full potential already with the MegaCD and Gameboy Advance emulators.

I wish that things were different, but to realize a general level of hardware and software competence we have to ditch GPH because they are deaf to the community.

It costs about the same to modify the GP2X to the level (real D-pad, Breakout box or cable, USB internal, and I have yet to see a proper Li-Ion pack) that the pandora will come with. So yes, it will be cheaper.

Add up the price of the BoB, the power adapter, some rechargeable batteries, USB output, and you are likely over the cost of entrance for the Pandora (and the pandora has everything included in the box).

The GP2X is still great, give it to a relative or their kid for a present, or someone who is into programming or robotics, it would be great for stuff like that. Keep it around for all the stuff it does do. Integrate it and a USB hard drive into your car, that way you can play music and movies.

Or start developing yourself, I don't think the GP2X will ever truly die. There are enough floating around that some kid will find it at a secondhand store and start dev'ing again. They will be on ebay for cheap for some time to come.

In terms of emulators, the GP2X has seen many excellent emulators released for it. What else is left to do that would run reasonably well? There are some obscure unemulated platforms remaining but I think most of the major/popular ones are done.

slaanesh said:
What else is left to do that would run reasonably well?
Better DOS support, that is all I want. I'd trade the existing Gameboy Advance emulators for an improved DOSBox, but that's obviously just my personal preference. Running DOS games was one of the main reasons I bought the thing (see http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=40907).

A 20mhz 386 with 8mb of RAM, VGA graphics and a Soundblaster is all I am after :)

I'd say just enjoy your gp2x and don't worry about what else comes out. The gp2x definitely won't die immediately after pandora and since they both run linux im sure some devs will put out both pandora and gp2x versions of some programs. The main thing is I don't you will all the sudden find there is nothing fun to play on the gp2x for some time if you just got it. Enjoy your gp2x for now and when you start seeing stuff on pandora that you really want and isn't possible on the gp2x think about getting it then which should be some time away from now.

BadAstronaut said:
slaanesh said:
What else is left to do that would run reasonably well?
Better DOS support, that is all I want. I'd trade the existing Gameboy Advance emulators for an improved DOSBox, but that's obviously just my personal preference. Running DOS games was one of the main reasons I bought the thing (see http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=40907).

A 20mhz 386 with 8mb of RAM, VGA graphics and a Soundblaster is all I am after :)

I heard that there is an app that will help you configure the dosbox support.

Secondly, wow, that is a powerful machine, I don't think that the GP2X can do that, you have Enhanced memory mode, the whole VGA thing to emulate, I doubt it could be done. 286 might be possible because it didn't have the enhanced memory mode, but even that is on the edge of possibility, like they say it is having trouble with a 086 at 6mhz right now.

Maybe a handheld with an x86 processor is the way to go? Like a Libretto 50ct? I had one and it was pretty neat, I used a CF card to replace the hard drive and run Dos, they have a 75mhz Pentium chip and a 640x480 display. The keyboard is nice and you can have what you are really after.

They go for $80-150 on ebay all the time (based on the shape they are in and the accessories). There are also some older tablet PC's that might be usable.

It is just a thought. Emulation is just that, trying to be something you are not. There are no guarantees in a scene of people doing stuff for fun.

nubie said:
Secondly, wow, that is a powerful machine, I don't think that the GP2X can do that, you have Enhanced memory mode, the whole VGA thing to emulate, I doubt it could be done. 286 might be possible because it didn't have the enhanced memory mode

Hmmm, I read a similar response in another thread. Oh well, I would still be VERY happy with emulation of a 16mhz 286 with VGA and Soundblaster, and mouse supported via Touchscreen. That would be enough to play most of the games I am trying to run via DOSBox... I guess a 386 itself is out of the question for the little handheld :)

Personally I will be sticking with the gp2x for at least a year - I never take up new hardware as soon as it's released - I value my money too much :)

With respect to the firmware, I had hoped that open2x would be released, but I think those guys have jumped ship (at least temporarily) to get the pandora up and running - I may be wrong though.

As Tobriand said, part of the fun is devving for a machine that has defined limits and trying to eke (or look like you have) as much power out of it as possible.. I would guess Pandora would also need a lot more time dedicated to it to get impressive new homebrew, so I expect a plethora of ports (of homebrew & emulators) and little 'new' stuff - again I may be (and hope I am) wrong.

Time will tell - there are still a fair few releases coming on a weekly basis (new mame(!)) and loads of stuff already available to make your F200 purchase worthwhile I think.

I will continue developing for the GP2X. I wont be getting an F-200 or Pandora because I can't justify the cost while my mark 1 GP2X still works.

Back