Does The D-pad Mod Require A Chip?

computarman

Still Fresh
If I add a dpad or 4 switches for that matter to the gp2x will diagonals be recognized. I know 1 dpad mod kit contained a chip and one kit did not contain a chip.

The only d-pad mod ever sold didn't have a chip. There was one under development with a chip but the guy working on it disappeared. The d-pad mods don't recognise the diagonals that the stick made, but most software available does diagonals in software anyway (or works both ways) and so there is very little that doesn't work with a d-pad AFAIK.

4 switches or a dpad mounted on a flat piece of plastic and then surface mounted with screws over the old joystick opening that has been enlarged would be easy and nice. This would also make it easy to replace if wanted or needed.
Evil Dragon was the guy working on the chip was'nt he? Is he no longer around?

computarman said:
4 switches or a dpad mounted on a flat piece of plastic and then surface mounted with screws over the old joystick opening that has been enlarged would be easy and nice. This would also make it easy to replace if wanted or needed.
Evil Dragon was the guy working on the chip was'nt he? Is he no longer around?
Evildragon is still around, But he wasn`t the guy working on the chip, I can not remember the guys name though. :unsure:

EDIT: Thats it, It was Radek, I`ve just found his D-pad mod topic.

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=26613&hl=

Sadly, He hasn`t been active here since 21st March 07, So i`ve no idea how far he is/was from completing his project.

Trooper

Last edited by a moderator:
You'd just need 4 AND gates I guess. So any chip(s) with 4 and gates should be able to allow you to synthasize all the physical diagonals if needed.

clone said:
You'd just need 4 AND gates I guess. So any chip(s) with 4 and gates should be able to allow you to synthasize all the physical diagonals if needed.
It is a little more complicated than that, you need to stop sending the Ordinal signal when a Diagonal is hit, this requires that the circuit or chip in question must be responsible for activating all 8 directions.

It is a fairly simple job, but it is fairly pointless and unrewarding since Radek gave up on it, and most people doing a D-Pad mod just use the Ordinals and have experienced little to no trouble.

Well, I've got a prototype of Radeks chip, but have no idea what happened...
It's not needed though.

nubie said:
clone said:
It is a little more complicated than that, you need to stop sending the Ordinal signal when a Diagonal is hit, this requires that the circuit or chip in question must be responsible for activating all 8 directions.

4 and and 4 nor? :)
hmm, no, 8and and 4 not(or xor)

Back