Does the Pandora support Achievements and online high scores?

I don't know, C4A is a highscore system. I don't consider "achievements" the same as high scores, but maybe that's just me.

That said, theweirdn8, your question seems wrong to me. Games have achievements written into them, not the platforms they run on. For example, FTL has achievements, but run on Windows and Linux that don't have an "achievement" system. You're asking in the Pandora - a linux device - has achievements? Clearly not, as it's just running Linux.

The Pandora uses Linux to acheive its aims, but clearly one of those aims is to be a capable gaming machine. I'd expect GFWL (or whatever they're calling it these days) to have brought over achievements from the 360 on PC, and all Sony gaming products now have them. They're a system property rather than a game property on 360 at least because they combine to give you an overall 'gamer score'.

I'd agree that c4a fits the 'high score' brief but not the 'achievements' and that's personally fine with me. I don't like how the 360 achievement system tries to coerce me into doing things I otherwise wouldn't enjoy, and I don't care for artificial willy waving using my gamer score - I can wave my willy about my Space Rocks high score perfectly well.

I thought about writing all that the first time, but considered the link to be evidence enough of high scores but no achievements.

I'd expect GFWL (or whatever they're calling it these days) to have brought over achievements from the 360 on PC, and all Sony gaming products now have them. They're a system property rather than a game property on 360 at least because they combine to give you an overall 'gamer score'.
Fair point, but these games consoles have Game-specific operating systems. GFWL is just a piece of software that runs on Windows to access your Live/Xbox account.
I was writing TournamentHub to be something similar to GFWL (and Steam, I guess, just without buying and installing games) to give you an online account, that you linked to C4A but wasn't just highscores. However, I had issues with the release (which I think was down to which libraries I had bundled in the PND), I got annoyed, my reallife got busy... etc.

Who knows, maybe I'll have another look at it at some point...

Yes, they do seem to be the sort of thing people expect in a gaming system these days (though as far as I know, they haven't migrated to mobile gaming yet). Not for me personally - I'm a bit too old-school for that, but they definitely seem to be a thing now.

I don't know, C4A is a highscore system. I don't consider "achievements" the same as high scores, but maybe that's just me.
I postulate that achievements are evolved highscores (= "modern day" - highscores), which is probably why I have/had absolutely no interest in both of them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Linux has a pretty cool achievement system build in, which is also available on the Pandora. It is a bit hidden though, because it doesn't feature online statistics or anything like that. Everybody will be able to tell your current level pretty accurately though. It works like this:  whenever you do serious stuff you gain experience points with each achievement. They double if you do it in a terminal using "vi". For example once you try to save and quit any other editor with ":wq" you reached the first linux-nerd-level. I'm not sure how many levels there are until you reach the final haxor-levels ... I already gained enough experience points to use several haxor-commands, but I think haven't even reached the first geek-level yet (but I must be pretty close).

@F_Slim: Haha, I do that occasionally.
Sometimes I also instinctively press Esc after typing something in a text box on the browser, and then try to use HJKL keys to move around.
Or press Ctrl+S twice to try to switch to a different desktop (Ctrl+S is mapped to the escape key on my GNU screen) instead of Ctrl+Tab.

Or try using ls command on windows command prompt.

It's a shame linux doesn't have achievements - my highscore in Bash is pretty much unrivalled and I have to say I'm getting pretty damned good at xfce - up to level 3 already, though the boss fight is a bitch.

D.

doing a recursive ls listing on my media collection piped to wc gets me a pretty high score.

I've used vi (or Vim rather) for most of my adult life, but my only problem is when using non-G-vim with it's prompt hints is forgetting whether I'm in insert mode or not. Hence my code ends up littered with 'd2d's and 'cw's if I'm not looking at what I'm doing.

Linux has a pretty cool achievement system build in, which is also available on the Pandora. It is a bit hidden though, because it doesn't feature online statistics or anything like that. Everybody will be able to tell your current level pretty accurately though. It works like this:  whenever you do serious stuff you gain experience points with each achievement. They double if you do it in a terminal using "vi". For example once you try to save and quit any other editor with ":wq" you reached the first linux-nerd-level. I'm not sure how many levels there are until you reach the final haxor-levels ... I already gained enough experience points to use several haxor-commands, but I think haven't even reached the first geek-level yet (but I must be pretty close).
I can't stand vi.

I can't stand vi.
It's the only editor on some of the old Unix machines I have to use at work.
And it has been on any *nix box I have checked for it on.  I wish I could use it properly, but I always end up messing everything up if I forget what I am doing.  It is not bad, just bad for me.  If I could get idiot reminders with vi I would probably be fine.  Is there anything else that is widely available by default?

Think nano or pico (unix) may be fairly common on most installs. it's generally fairly easy.

Back