Doom For Blu+

Thankyou Craig!!!

I was bummed to lose doom with my update to the blu+

Thanks for putting work into making it compatible.

Will try this tonight.

Hi Craig,

it is probably better but the "white-bar" bug is still there, yet the bar is at the very top of the screen taking the space of about 320x50 pixels.
Are you using the settings provided by Gamepark?

The bar at the top makes it feel more like a border now, so it's far more playable than previously. Doom II works, as does Doom I with full sound, and the Plutonia Wad works fine. I also got the Final Fantasy wad up and running. Thanks!

Me and Guyfawkes spent the night building this, please try it.

Blu+ and also should be a little faster than the normal doom.

We have not tested it.

http://www.gbax.com/doomv10blu.zip

-Craig

www.gbax.com
Yeah Craig!

I tested it on my normal BLU and the framerate is better. :)

On the 1st TNT demo the framerate never is less than 28 fps whereas it is sometimes 20 on the old v10 version on the same demo.

Could you please "just" add a BLU/BLU+ option to allow normal BLU owners to enjoy this great new version? :)

Thanx for your work Craig.

P.S. : This would be awesome if PWADs such Eternal Doom III could be fully playable on the GP32 (it eats a lot of cpu power due to its huge levels).

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, the performance increase will be for normal GP32 owners also (once we compile it). At the moment we are concentrating on fixing doom for BLU+ then will sort out something like an option on the menus to change between BLU and BLU+ GP32s.

BTW: I noticed that while looking through the code last night there is a FPS display. To activate it, while on the first setup screen (where you change CPU speed etc) hold SELECT and press START to start the game.

Its done and working on both, it does seem to be faster too, nice suprise from a very simple change!

Either I or Guyfawkes will post the version with the selector later, then for some other fixes...

-Craig

www.gbax.com

The new version seems nicer on my blu+, but there is still a third of the bar remaining. Almost as if it were shifted most of the way off the screen or so.

Good luck with code Craig. Thanks for your contribution to gp32.

mth411

So, er... are there any cheats in this version?

(hides face in embarrassment)

Craig > Thanks.

I noticed 3 little easy bugs to correct : when you do "End Game" or "Quit Game" but that you press Start to say "No" to come back to the game, then the B button doesn't work any longer... we're obliged to reboot.

The same thing happens when you start a game in Nightmare mode, B button doesn't answer, so impossible to run and open any door.

The last bug I know is when you change weapon and that you walk at the same time, then the marine doesn't stop turning around himself without any contribution of our own.

Hope to help you and to see these bugs fixed. :)

Good and bad news...

Good news is below is a new test build for both BLU and BLU+ users! BLU+ should be working as it was working on craigs blu+, but please confirm.

Bad news is that saving/loading game saves is broke since these new builds. The reason is almost certainly down to a compiler issue as Rob has a different compiler setup to me so I need to find out whats different and all should be working as normal again soon.

If you want to try this new build you can download it at http://www.emuholic.com/doomtest2.zip . Please delete your DOOM.OPT file in GP://GAME//DOOM as i have changed the settings around slightly and may cause a conflict when loading the settings.

For the first time you load the game, goto the 'GP32 Type' option at the bottom of the screen and press the A button to change to Original/FLU/BLU or BLU+ depending on what GP32 you have. Also change any other settings as necessary. Press START to continue and these new settings will be saved.

It should automatically change to BLU+ settings if you choose them the first time, but if not reload the fxe and it will definately work. Same for normal GP32s.

Please remember game saving/loading does not work in these test builds, me and craig will fix them asap. Feel free to report any new bugs here and we will look into them. Also, thanks to Drumaster for testing earlier on IRC.

Looks much better. Thanks for the fix.

Also, there seems to be a slight shearing effect now, not sure if this is new or not. On the right side, about 1/4 in, the images seem to tear from the bottom up, but only slightly, with a diagnal line that moves upwards.

Other than that, very nice.

mth411

EDIT:
Try spinning around in place and the lines appear.

i tried on my normal gp32 and cant see any difference so it may be the blu+ settings are slightly off. it happens when moving, spinning around or standing still? ill check it out later with craig and see what the problem could be.

Back