Dosbox Running Windows 95

jumpman23

Still Fresh
i was wondering if the pandora version of dosbox will be able to run the full version of windows 95. if it could, would it be able to run any of the current windows 95 emulators?

jumpman23 said:
i was wondering if the pandora version of dosbox will be able to run the full version of windows 95. if it could, would it be able to run any of the current windows 95 emulators?

Are you suggesting running a windows emulator in order to run other emulators? :blink:

Every time you add a level of emulation divide the speed of the processor by about 8. With 2 layers of emulation divide the speed by about 64ish. So you could emulate an 8086 running at 9mhz, if it doesn't crash all the time.

Last edited by a moderator:
jumpman23 said:
It may be technically possible to run Win95, but you won't be able to do anything useful with it.

craigix said:
What emulator on Win95 would you want to use anyway? I'm quite curious why you would go though doing that :)
i was wondering about running that Streammygame application... its compatible with win95

MagicPants said:
jumpman23 said:

Are you suggesting running a windows emulator in order to run other emulators? :blink:

Every time you add a level of emulation divide the speed of the processor by about 8. With 2 layers of emulation divide the speed by about 64ish. So you could emulate an 8086 running at 9mhz, if it doesn't crash all the time.

could i run a streaming application?

Your best bet would be to ask them to port it. I'd think a port for the Pandora wouldn't be too terribly difficult. Why win95 though? There is a linux version, though I'm assuming it's x86 only. You could emulate an x86 linux machine and still get much better performance than win95 in dosbox (though certainly not enough to do anything useful with).

It's completely unrealistic to consider actually doing something with an emulated windows 95.

However, there has been talk about getting the guys at StreamMyGame to port it to the pandora, since they already have a linux arm port.

Snu said:
isnt streammygame just a vnc?
could the same thing be accomplished with other software? (thats open source)
That's what I've been wondering ever since I first heard of streammygame. When I searched for gaming + vnc or any of those other similar protocols, everyone seemed to say it was too slow to play games. But most of that discussion is several years old. I don't know if it's just that now network infrastructure has expanded enough to make remote gaming possible, or if streammygame came up with something revolutionary. My guess is they just optimized some existing remote desktop software for gaming.

sindbad said:
It's completely unrealistic to consider actually doing something with an emulated windows 95.

However, there has been talk about getting the guys at StreamMyGame to port it to the pandora, since they already have a linux arm port.
has someone actually contacted streammygame, or is it just an idea?

I don't know if people actually went through with it, as I'm not interested in it.

Well I think it is the novelty of it that interests people, not the usefulness. I would rather run an old Mac on it.

I tried playing CSS using VNC on Iphone - that was like 1-2 fps but pretty interesting. And I tried it using PC - that was pretty good - and if streammygame is really good optimized it will be even playable. I'll try it =) Sounds good.

Upd. Tried it... some games crash (I belive cause of DX hax to show overlay) but performance is pretty good.. but not for online FPS that's definate. But all other stuff will work just fine. Pretty good optimized.

I thik if port it and make use of Hardware decoding it will be good stuff. (Thinking of fooling workmates with Crysis on handheld xD) Need to try some other VNC's tho. Maybe there is some fast ones. I'll post something about that. But I dont know any remote Desctop app that can capture 3D and sound at the same time.

UPD2: Tried whole bunch of VNC's and Radmins. I can proudly announce that nothing is playable with them (most of stuff are not even working). So StreamMyGame is pretty much the best solution! (you can get playable framerates in DX\OGL apps (I get around 40 in HL2) low lag over lan and sound!) Interesting stuff!

upd.. But... It's still pretty bad... to many issues. I believe we need support for that sort of stuff on the driver level... World is not ready for realtime remote rendering (there is some software that allows that but it's mostly for corporate *nix use.. and even it offers 7-20 fps over 100mbit.. meh.). It's too bad for now.. Big compatibility issues and all other stuff. Overall it's interesting stuff but due to driver/api way of rendering it has tooooo many issues.

Hotcooler said:
I tried playing CSS using VNC on Iphone - that was like 1-2 fps but pretty interesting. And I tried it using PC - that was pretty good - and if streammygame is really good optimized it will be even playable. I'll try it =) Sounds good.

Upd. Tried it... some games crash (I belive cause of DX hax to show overlay) but performance is pretty good.. but not for online FPS that's definate. But all other stuff will work just fine. Pretty good optimized.

I thik if port it and make use of Hardware decoding it will be good stuff. (Thinking of fooling workmates with Crysis on handheld xD) Need to try some other VNC's tho. Maybe there is some fast ones. I'll post something about that. But I dont know any remote Desctop app that can capture 3D and sound at the same time.

UPD2: Tried whole bunch of VNC's and Radmins. I can proudly announce that nothing is playable with them (most of stuff are not even working). So StreamMyGame is pretty much the best solution! (you can get playable framerates in DX\OGL apps (I get around 40 in HL2) low lag over lan and sound!) Interesting stuff!

upd.. But... It's still pretty bad... to many issues. I believe we need support for that sort of stuff on the driver level... World is not ready for realtime remote rendering (there is some software that allows that but it's mostly for corporate *nix use.. and even it offers 7-20 fps over 100mbit.. meh.). It's too bad for now.. Big compatibility issues and all other stuff. Overall it's interesting stuff but due to driver/api way of rendering it has tooooo many issues.

At sysadmin school last year I would VNC into a neighbour's PC while he was playing GTA San Andreas (yes, we played GTA San Andreas during classes, and I was the one who brought it lol), and try to control his car. Even with the scaling set to something ridiculous like 10%, 1-bit colour and looking at his screen directly the controls were still too sluggish and laggy for me to be able to drive more than ten yards without hitting something.

VNC isn't made for ultra low latency stuff like that, which is too bad. I never heard of that streammygame thing before, it sounds great, I just wish we could get details on how it works inside. Also their website is pretty bullshity, as in, not addressed to the most technically inclined. Their moto is "virtualizing games and applications", except that there's no aspect of what they do that could be qualified as virtualisation, no matter how you twist it.

you should look into freeNX and hamachi they might have low enough latency to work it could very well be that streamygame is using the freeNX libs...

jumpman23 said:
so you want to run dosbox, running win95, running StreamMyGame?

smack-forehead.jpg

Why not skip over all of that and find someway to port StreamMyGame, if infact the Pandora can handle it. In essence though, if you think your going to be able to run Crysis through VNC on The Pandora, you'd be better off trying to stuff 20 tomatoes into a thimble.

(I'd like to be notified next time a mod removes my picture)

You can see StreamMyGame running on a EeePC http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4cUl9WFv7g

Runs pretty good.

I see they've ported it to PS3 Linux with obv is not x86, so everyone better get begging to them for a port :)

CandidStan said:
jumpman23 said:
so you want to run dosbox, running win95, running StreamMyGame?

smack-forehead.jpg

Why not skip over all of that and find someway to port StreamMyGame, if infact the Pandora can handle it. In essence though, if you think your going to be able to run Crysis through VNC on The Pandora, you'd be better off trying to stuff 20 tomatoes into a thimble.

(I'd like to be notified next time a mod removes my picture)

You suggested something that was suggested a page ago like it was your great idea?

smack-forehead.jpg

-God Ginrai

Back