Dosbox W/ Windows

es87

Still Fresh
How powerful do you think a Pandora emulating Windows 95 with DosBox will/can be? Is there a hope of it being able to run windows 95 games like roller coaster tycoon or age of empires?

Im curious though. If we put the sc issue aside, would the Pandora be able to handle the job hardware-wise ?

Win95: don't bother.
Win3.1: there may be hope. And there were a number of pretty good games for the old windows system that may work well enough on the Pandora. KQ6, Myst, and 7th Guest, for example. Won't actually know until we can try it, though.

Myth was for 3.11? I thought it was only on 95/98. What other good 3.11 games are there?

I saw a video of a PSP running Windows 95 in dosbox extremely slowly (10 minutes to boot), it may be technically possible

It will probably be possible to run Win95 in DOSBox, whether it's usable is another thing. Running a game on top of that definitely isn't worth holding your breath for.

Windows 95 cannot be run in DOSBox because it's a DOS emulator, not a WINDOWS one.

Windows 95 is possible hardware wise, but considering the portwork, an emulation would probably be a bit slow.

It wouldn't be a bit slow, it would be totally unusable.
A full x86 emulator like Qemu would have to be used.

Hardware-wise, if we had the source code, the Pandora would run anything up to windowze XP, but that's not the case and will never be, so just forget the idea.

Logokas said:
Windows 95 cannot be run in DOSBox because it's a DOS emulator, not a WINDOWS one.
...and Windows 95 effectively runs on top of DOS. It's not as simple as running an .exe, but it's been done.

Anyway, it's all academic! Between DOSBox, ScummVM, FreeSCI and hopefully Residual, most of the good old stuff will be covered.

Last edited by a moderator:
fischju2000 said:
I saw a video of a PSP running Windows 95 in dosbox extremely slowly (10 minutes to boot), it may be technically possible
What you saw was Bochs (a very slow x86 emulator). With DosBox, Windows 95 boots in about two minutes on the psp.

Gruso said:
Logokas said:
...and Windows 95 effectively runs on top of DOS. It's not as simple as running an .exe, but it's been done.

Anyway, it's all academic! Between DOSBox, ScummVM, FreeSCI and hopefully Residual, most of the good old stuff will be covered.

Pokemon Mini? lol

(im seriously addicted to stuff like Pokemon/Pocket Pikachu, Pokemon Mini, Tamagotchi, gigapets, digimon, the vmu virtual pet games? give virtual pet gadgets Tamagotchi, gigapets, digimon, the vmu virtual pet games, creatures, the sims, spore, viva pinata, nintendogs, virtual aquariums, etc)

PoisonedV said:
(im seriously addicted to stuff like Pokemon/Pocket Pikachu, Pokemon Mini, Tamagotchi, gigapets, digimon, the vmu virtual pet games? give virtual pet gadgets Tamagotchi, gigapets, digimon, the vmu virtual pet games, creatures, the sims, spore, viva pinata, nintendogs, virtual aquariums, etc)
I think you forgot Little Computer People in there. :D

Prometheus said:
PoisonedV said:
I think you forgot Little Computer People in there. :D

i completely forgot about that game! thanks for reminding me, now i can waste another week of my life

es87 said:
Windows 95 boots in about two minutes on the psp.
True, but it's still not usable in any real capacity. Framerates are in the low single digits, even with no programs running. Watch this video to see the system come to a screeching halt while trying to open Paint.

Yes, the Pandora is significantly faster than the PSP. Yes, Windows 95 (and probably even XP) are technically possible on the Pandora under DOSbox. But they will never be useful for more than a "Look what I can do!" proof-of-concept. You will never be able to play any games more advanced than Minesweeper at anything like full speed under Windows 95 on the Pandora.

Logokas said:
While it's possible dosbox may take a few shortcuts in it's emulation which may cause win95 to fail (haven't tried it myself)... are you aware Win95 is just a big fat-arse dos program? This also goes for win98 (and probably WinME too) all boot ms-dos first before loading windows itself then you can quit windows and it'll dump you back into dos.

yes, windows ME was the last windows which is actually just a DOS program. As such it is, with some help and tricking, possible to run windows on dosbox, as shown in the PSP video. I'd really like to see this on the pandora. It might never be practical for real use, but it'd be so damn cool

Back