Download Versions For Gp2x Commercial Games

jbrodack

gp2x fan
Website
jbrodack.googlepages.com
Vektar has been out for a while and Payback is coming out soon yet no word about download versions. Even blazar though not a great game already has a downloadable commercial version available.

I mean its nice to have a boxed version available especially to show for game conventions and such but practically and for the current gp2x user base download versions make much more sense. most users would much rather download commercial especially if not from the UK which seems to be the only store selling physical copies. for a download version all the overhead of the sd card and packaging is gone and almost everything is pure profit.

Without download versions you could have tons of commercial games but none really available to most gp2x users.

I just hope any and all present and future gp2x commercial games will have paid download versions readily available and really focus on that as the main means of distribution.

Well I hate to say it but sometimes the goal of a "boxed" version is not for the benefit of the gp2x user. I agree for distribution ease, quickness, cost it is easier to provide a download.

Consider the benefits of a "boxed" version(providing you can get into the channel)

- Putting an indirect link of the gp2x platform in front of the DS/PSP users, store employees, etc
- Your gaming companies name in the same retail space of larger companies
- Portability, ease of handing your buddy the SD of only the game on it. (yes this is easy to make an extra copy etc, but you'd be surprised how many people out there want simplicity)
- Printed Manual, again some want a printed manual to browse through while sitting on the throne, damn it you better not be taking your gp2x's in the loo!!!(just like an american to use the word loo *sigh*)

I'm sure I'm missing some others and a few 'cons' Basically for promotion and visibility....

He'll I'd like to just see a small 11x17 promotional poster of the gp2x in american game stores ..

jbrodack posted on Oct 18 2006 at 05:50 AM said:
... Even blazar though not a great game...

Actually, I liked blazar a lot.

I'm about to buy it, but I'm worried that it will be lock to one GP2X unit, cause it request your unique ID when you purchase.

Last edited by a moderator:
ok makes sense craig. you want to set up a download service and would like to not just have one game on it. Is it going to be on its own site apart from your main site? Is your site going to be the only place to download the games? only saying because the exchange rate is not in the american dollars favor.

But yeah definitely if a gp2x commercial games site were set up it would add to the commercial viability of gp2x and make things easy for use so sounds good.

I would pay around $5-$10 for a downloadable comercial GP2X game. Depending on what kind of encryption it used. I wouldn't want it to be locked to my 2x and then I get a new unit or something.

tshroom posted on Oct 18 2006 at 06:16 AM said:
I would pay around $5-$10 for a downloadable comercial GP2X game. Depending on what kind of encryption it used. I wouldn't want it to be locked to my 2x and then I get a new unit or something.
I have a feeling it will be a lot more than that.. I really can't see Payback being available for £5.

Payback will probably cost as much as or more than Vektar. Whether it's worth it or not will be up to each individual buyer.

icurafu posted on Oct 17 2006 at 08:31 PM said:

I'm about to buy it, but I'm worried that it will be lock to one GP2X unit, cause it request your unique ID when you purchase.
What's with all the Blazar backlash? Did you see all the negative comments on the demo in the file archive? I gave it a try, and while I may not be top-notch, it's a fun, fairly original shmup, at a quarter of Vektar's price.

- Alex

icurafu posted on Oct 18 2006 at 01:31 AM said:

It probably is locked to one GP2X unit - it says "Many games require your GP2X's Device ID to generate an unlock key."

There is a register page that looks like it may let you get a new unlock key.

Parkydr posted on Oct 18 2006 at 01:54 PM said:
icurafu posted on Oct 18 2006 at 01:31 AM said:

It probably is locked to one GP2X unit - it says "Many games require your GP2X's Device ID to generate an unlock key."

There is a register page that looks like it may let you get a new unlock key.

Yes, you can get a new unlock key. In fact, when I bought it, I had to use this, beacuse the unlock key sent in the original email didn't work. When you buy the game, you're asked for the unit's serial number, but on the "new code" page, you're asked for a "Customer ID" which Blazar generates itself.

I'm guessing that the website checks agains your account held by them, to see if you've bought the product.

nothing wrong with blazar its just more a port of a phone game and doesn't exactly fully use the gp2x. I had some fun with the demo too I'm just saying its not really the gold standard for gp2x commercial games. I'm definitely not saying its crap just recognizing its limitations in not being a game specifically for the gp2x.

there is something wrong with blazar- i just played the demo- its slow boring and unimpressive graphically, much better games can be played through emulation

Jackd posted on Oct 19 2006 at 04:36 AM said:
there is something wrong with blazar- i just played the demo- its slow boring and unimpressive graphically, much better games can be played through emulation

Having had the paid for version on my SD card for a few days now, I can confirm there's definitely something wrong with Blazar. When you turn off the GP2X, the software loses the registration details. I'll be reporting it as a bug. I'm fortunate in that the price is just about within my "disposable" window - it's about the same as a monthly magazine that I'll read once or twice, then recycle.

Oh, and for £5, I don't think you'll find a better game to play on the GP2X (registration bug not withstanding). If you consider emulated games to be better (and I do too), remember that you'll have paid £30 - £50+ for them originally. You did buy them originally didn't you? :p

Alyn.

[EDIT] Bug is now fixed [/EDIT]

Back