Dpad misbehaving

Sugar_Kane

Could crush a grape
Hi Chaps,

Recently my Dpad has started acting up; it gets stuck in the up direction until I press down hard, this returns it to normal but it'll do it again randomly soon afterwards. I'm presuming that a bit of debris have worked its way under the keymat that I need to get off, or I need to rub a pencil on the carbon pad underneath.

Anyone else experienced this? How did you fix the issue?

Also I don't have any problem opening my unit up and having a look, but I just wanted to double check that I wouldn't be voiding my warranty.

I won't comment on the warranty as I'm no official, but in case you decide to open your Pandora, you can find a video showing how to open it here:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/l8GfjAsbmK8?feature=oembed

Of course you do not need to follow the whole tutorial. ;) You just need to follow it to 2:55. And maybe from 14:30 till the end. BTW: don't forget to put the "back board!" (see video).

Last edited by a moderator:
You would almost certainly be voiding your warranty by opening it up. I'd just suggest seeing if the problem fixes itself with repetitive use, or a very small amount of percussive maintenance.

I was wondering if it might be that the pad is staying squished down instead of popping back up after being pressed, as it gets stuck in that direction. I've pressed it down hard a load of times and tried to rotate it a bit but it's still happening. I don't want to send it back for something potentially trivial, but I don't want to void my warranty either, I'll try a marathon gaming session and see if it doesn't start behaving

Removing the keymat is quite easy, just open up the back, lift the PCB very slightly and ease it out.

Remember to be careful when putting the screws back in.

Back