Draft Page Brainstorming

Game_over

Game Developer
I'm still in a festive mood of giving and sharing, so in the spirit of that I thought I would share with you a simple thing I do when coming up with a game idea; in this case, for Mario:HDR for the pandora.

(kinda old art that I did in good ol' inkscape.)
mario_HDR_P2.png

The idea is simple, either:

*Create a page showing some early game assets
*Create a page showing a concept for your menu, and in-game hud

Great starting point for game development for smaller/independent games. Try it and post it here.

^What does that have to do with my question? In simple 2D rendering like this, there's nothing even resembling the multiple exposure data used in HDR. Where does a 3D technique apply to this purely 2D art?

To answer your question, that art has nothing to do with the multiple exposure techniques of HDRI. That's only going to be represented as a major technique used in some of the areas, however It's not HDR as in High Dynamic Range, It stands for something in the plot. You are already getting off topic though, this discussion is about sharing concepts (in visual form) of games you would/plan to make.

Game_over said:
To answer your question, that art has nothing to do with the multiple exposure techniques of HDRI. That's only going to be represented as a major technique used in some of the areas, however It's not HDR as in High Dynamic Range, It stands for something in the plot. You are already getting off topic though, this discussion is about sharing concepts (in visual form) of games you would/plan to make.
then you'de better change your plot, since everyone is gonna wonder what that hdr is supposed to be
why is it offtopic? i think a good start would be giving your game a not confusing title

Last edited by a moderator:
It's off topic because it's not relevant to what I stated in the topic in terms of providing a draft page/conceptual image of the game you would/plan to do, for the Pandora. Mario:HDR is just an example from the pic I provided (and an early one at that). The title won't be confusing once the game is finished, consider it a code name. Changing a plot because someone doesn't understand a subtitle is kinda silly, no?

Game_over said:
It's off topic because it's not relevant to what I stated in the topic in terms of providing a draft page/conceptual image of the game you would/plan to do, for the Pandora. Mario:HDR is just an example from the pic I provided (and an early one at that). The title won't be confusing once the game is finished, consider it a code name. Changing a plot because someone doesn't understand a subtitle is kinda silly, no?
it wasn't offtopic, it was a logical question due to the name you gave
but all things concerning that have now been answered, so we can go on to discuss other things

I don`t understand what you are trying to do, its just a few Mario images slapped down onto a grid background, no spec`s, pallets, frame counts or anything useful for a developer to work from, there`s no menu details either although you mentioned them, how does this work?

as far as I can tell, all this says is your thinking about Mario type games, sorry, but I just don`t understand what use it is, I may just be being dumb (read "still drunk"), but I don`t get it.

What does HDR stand for?

And what is the image all about? looks like you just stole some mario images and pasted them on a grid!

Couldnt you just achieve this with a mario sticker set?

Guys. The thread is real simple. It's not about his game. There's no need to break down and take apart an "early" collection of artwork. From what I gather, it's simply about posting a little preview of some sort of the game you've started, and see if others can be inspired somehow.

I'd be doing that myself, but there's nothing but ideas in my head at the moment.

9u12t0.jpg

Point and click + platform controls ( prince of persia / oddworld / black thorne - ish )
About a poor Office worker of a Water bottling company cought in the middle of a zombie apocalypse.
Will discover something mucho obscure about his company. ;)

So this is like a quick little showcase of what you're working on for the community at large right? Interesting.

forest2xbilinear.jpg

screenshot200812271928350.png

As of yet unnamed MMO. Former is a mockup, latter is an actual screenshot from the client as it stands. I'll need to see it on an actual Pandora to decide what version I'll go with, high res or upscaled low res. Probably the top one, though.

@Stustaff & HobbymanII: actually I'm a graphic artist, I drew every thing from scratch in inkscape, since you think I stole an image of Mario, I'll thank you for the complement! Read my previous statements again, I'm sure you missed something. But that's all I have to say about that.

@javaJake: That's exactly what I am asking, I'm glad someone understands.

@Mr. Gonzo: Nice art man, I saw some of the discussions you started and can't wait for you to get something off the ground once you find a programmer.

@Eniko: yep, nice work

Game_over said:
@stustaff & HobbymanII: actually I'm a graphic artist, I drew every thing from scratch in inkscape, since you think I stole an image of Mario, I'll thank you for the complement! Read my previous statements again, I'm sure you missed something. But that's all I have to say about that.

@Mr. Gonzo: Nice art man, I saw some of the discussions you started and can't wait for you to get something off the ground once you find a programmer.

Sorry didnt mean to say I didnt think you didnt draw them but they are copies of an existing image right? e.g. nothing original there and the image doesnt show anything to do with an actual game? and you didnt post any real info about a game that the images will be used in(is it legal to even do that?). I just didnt/dont understand what your going for?

Gonzo Wow that looks ace really ticks all my boxes :lol:

@Mr. Gonzo: Your sick (<-- that's a compliment!). Your game looks great - I can't wait to play it. I think I read in your post that you have a programmer but that he wants to do his own game engine? If I were you I'd recommend using an engine - concentrate on something open source and your programmer can tweak it as needed. That way you can both focus on the richness of your world.

@Eniko: FWIW, I prefer the first mocked up image more than the second in-game shot. This is meant as constructive criticism - not a bash. Perhaps use pixel doubling? Or just make a more pronounced black outline on the sprites? Just my 2 cents worth.

Eniko said:
So this is like a quick little showcase of what you're working on for the community at large right? Interesting.

*images

As of yet unnamed MMO. Former is a mockup, latter is an actual screenshot from the client as it stands. I'll need to see it on an actual Pandora to decide what version I'll go with, high res or upscaled low res. Probably the top one, though.
Looks like the basics are working, looking very interesting! (Goed bezig! ; )

@Mr.Gonzo

Well, uhm, unsusual? i like it!! :D

stustaff said:
Game_over said:
@stustaff & HobbymanII: actually I'm a graphic artist, I drew every thing from scratch in inkscape, since you think I stole an image of Mario, I'll thank you for the complement! Read my previous statements again, I'm sure you missed something. But that's all I have to say about that.

Sorry didnt mean to say I didnt think you didnt draw them but they are copies of an existing image right? e.g. nothing original there and the image doesnt show anything to do with an actual game? and you didnt post any real info about a game that the images will be used in(is it legal to even do that?). I just didnt/dont understand what your going for?

Gonzo Wow that looks ace really ticks all my boxes :lol:

That's fair, I hope I don't sound like a douche I just got caught off guard of all the earlier posts on here, because I was just using that as an example. I did use a reference image from my gba super mario world game manual (its actually a pretty good reference detailing all his moves). Totally legal, but more so...it's art.

The game is a 2.5d fan game, that will take advantage of High Dynamic Range Imaging effects and shaders in a very abstract way. I think it's fun to always start off a game with an influence of some type that brought you in to gaming in the first place (I hope that makes sense). The drawing I did has nothing to do with HDR, I just used that as an example of producing an image of my initial thought of the project (hence brainstorming).

Let me break it down: Show an image(s) that you made that gives people at least an initial idea of what your game is going to be.

of course, it's not going to have frameskip or any of that.... In the industry it's the first thing many people do in concept design.

And it's going to be vague, for example: judging just from Mr.Gonzo's images, it could be a shooter, it could be a beat'm up, it could even be an RPG with a mix of those elements; but from what I gather...it has something to do with a virus/disease breaking out and turning people into zombie like creatures (that's just an example, he did give some more details in his other threads).

Hope that helps.

(Even if you are not making a game for it you could make something and post it here too.)

jdh2550 said:
@Eniko: FWIW, I prefer the first mocked up image more than the second in-game shot. This is meant as constructive criticism - not a bash. Perhaps use pixel doubling? Or just make a more pronounced black outline on the sprites? Just my 2 cents worth.

Some people prefer the first version, some the latter. The first actually does employ pixel doubling, with scale2x scaling and bilinear filtering sampled over that. The latter is just 1:1 and doubling would probably make things too big.

I'm 90% sure I'll go with the doubled stuff, both because I have concerns about the small sprites on the Pandora screen and because it drastically cuts the workload, but I'm leaving my options open until I actually see how it all plays out on the actual machine. :)

Thanks for the input though!

Eniko said:
Breathtaking. :blink: I'm not sure which screenshot I like the best, I like little things about both of them.

Either way, this will be finding its way into my "most played" list on my Pandora! :D Do wish I could help out somehow, but I've never been able do anything creative besides writing. :lol:

Back