Drastic wifi slowdown after RMA and firmware upgrade

Esn

(:";
Website
esn.newgrounds.com
I got my Pandora back from RMA recently to fix some early-adopter issues (Purple Tint of Death, faulty nub, case crack), and also asked to upgrade to the latest firmware. When I sent it out (I had the old firmware with Hotfix 6, I think) the wifi worked normally; when I got it back (with SuperZaxxon 1.54) the average downloading speed was 10kb/s (getting as low as 3 and as high as 20).

I'm just wondering if there have been any similar cases and what the solution might be. The router hasn't changed, so I'm guessing it's not a problem on that end.

You had it at RMA here, I guess?

Well, you could try flashing back to HF6 to see if it's a software issue.

Otherwise, it could be that the aluminium strip that keeps the Wifi Antenna attached to the LCD hasn't properly been applied to and makes a short-Circuit...

Usually, Askarus does all the repairs and he usually is careful that this doesn't happen, but maybe he remembers your unit and has some idea.

You had it at RMA here, I guess?

Well, you could try flashing back to HF6 to see if it's a software issue.
Yes, I sent it to you. I actually sent back an email confirming that I received it and that everything seemed okay, but that was before I tested the wifi.
Would it be fine if I just booted from an SD card instead of reflashing the main unit?

Otherwise, it could be that the aluminium strip that keeps the Wifi Antenna attached to the LCD hasn't properly been applied to and makes a short-Circuit...

Usually, Askarus does all the repairs and he usually is careful that this doesn't happen, but maybe he remembers your unit and has some idea.
It was #535718. I asked to keep some parts of the old black case there so I ended up with a 2-colour unit, if that helps.But I'll try the old firmware first and see how that goes.

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember your Pandora.

Your Pandora passed the wifi test.

Can you open the lid and check whether the silver tape is in place?

I replaced the nub but didn't do the rest.

It was one of those ED's cousin put together.

As I said it passed the test. Can't tell you more.

Ah, then it probably really is the silver tape.

I told him, but it easily happens if you haven't done it often.

No need to open the bottom.

Go to 5:55 of the video.

That's enough.

Do not do what's described at 6:06. (If you do this you have to disassemble the hinge).

The antenna is on the upper side, so you have enough room then to look inside and even to get the antenna out if needed.

Back