Dreamcast .. 1st Of 2 Threads

satanic virus

Website
Visit site
I recently got a Dreamcast with some cool games (MSR, Shenmue 1 & 2 etc) - thanks finty :)

It can read cdr's and I have downloaded and burned some extra great games such as Rez, Soul Caliber, F355 rtc. I have set up a VGA cable (games look amaziing using this) and a NTSC to PAL convertor (I have a 50hz TV) so all is good!

I have set up NES emulation too which runs perfectly. SNES is ok, but a bit jerky.

My questions are - what other emulators run 'perfect' on Dreamcast, and what suggestions for 'backup' games do you have? I love having original games, so will likely buy on ebay the downloaded games I play most anyway.

Looks to be loads of great games out there, and brilliant clear graphics via VGA. Pls tell me your favourites & why. For anyone starting out with DC, look for cdi files and get discjuggler - has worked EVERY time for me :)

Congrats for getting into DC - it's one of my favorite game systems ever. I usually play mine (I have 2 actually) on a 27" VGA CRT monitor - it's niiiiiiice. :)

As for emus - the NeoGeoCD is rather good. NES (as you mentioned) is good. There's also a decent Genesis emu to be found. Bleemed PSX games can be interesting. But most emus on DC really aren't "perfect." By current standards it's not that great for emulation. Been a while since I bothered with DC emus so my memory is vague. Honestly, the best thing on DC is DC games. ;) In fact I need to play mine again - I think I'll hook it back up tomorrow. :lol:

As Prophet has mentioned, there is a very good Genesis Emulator for the DC but you cannot download it from any Homebrew site for the reason that it comes with a whole load of Genesis roms with it. If you search for it, you'll find it. I only ever came across it because a friend gave me the whole thing on disc. Really good. Everything runs smoothly and it has basically the entire Genesis back catalogue with it. But like I said, you'll have to search it out yourself.

Ganepark32 said:
As Prophet has mentioned, there is a very good Genesis Emulator for the DC but you cannot download it from any Homebrew site for the reason that it comes with a whole load of Genesis roms with it. If you search for it, you'll find it. I only ever came across it because a friend gave me the whole thing on disc. Really good. Everything runs smoothly and it has basically the entire Genesis back catalogue with it. But like I said, you'll have to search it out yourself.
Found - thanks for info :) Thanks too Prophet, i'll check out NeoGeoCD. Now back to Soul Calibur for a while :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Here are some of my favourites:

Cannon Spike
A hugely under-rated game from Capcom/Psikyo, where you get a load of Capcom people such as Mega Man and BB Hood, and then it's sort of a beat-em-up/shootmupper crossover thingy.

Power Stone 2
Another under-rated Capcom thingy, which takes everything from the first Power Stone and then throws a ridiculous amount of extra stuff into it. Also has a four player mode.

Tech Romancer
ANOTHER Capcom thing, this time with giant robots.

Ikaruga
An essential shootmup thing from Treasure. I think it only came out in Japan, after the Dreamcast was officially "stopped". Usually really expensive.

Gunbird 2
Another crazy-mad shootmup thing, in which you get to "be" Castlevania characters.

Incoming
Fly helicopters, drive tanks, sit in missile siloes, and blow up lots of things. Fun.

Okay, that's all I've got for now. Enjoy.

TwoHeadedBoy said:
Here are some of my favourites:

Cannon Spike
A hugely under-rated game from Capcom/Psikyo, where you get a load of Capcom people such as Mega Man and BB Hood, and then it's sort of a beat-em-up/shootmupper crossover thingy.

Power Stone 2
Another under-rated Capcom thingy, which takes everything from the first Power Stone and then throws a ridiculous amount of extra stuff into it. Also has a four player mode.

Tech Romancer
ANOTHER Capcom thing, this time with giant robots.

Ikaruga
An essential shootmup thing from Treasure. I think it only came out in Japan, after the Dreamcast was officially "stopped". Usually really expensive.

Gunbird 2
Another crazy-mad shootmup thing, in which you get to "be" Castlevania characters.

Incoming
Fly helicopters, drive tanks, sit in missile siloes, and blow up lots of things. Fun.

Okay, that's all I've got for now. Enjoy.

Cheers, thanks. Never heard of Canon Spike or Incoming before. I'll look them up :)

Cannon Spike is a MUST HAVE. And it looks amazing on VGA.

Also check into Propeller Arena - it's an air combat game by AM2 that was finished but never released for sale because of 911 (there's a level in a city and Sega feared images of planes blowing each other up next to skyscrapers would look bad). But the ISO is out there and it's a nice game. Cool to see a game that you otherwise wouldn't.

If you like SHMUPS, look into Psyvariar 2, Mars Matrix, Zero Gunner 2, Under Defeat, Shikigami No Shiro 2, Border Down etc. Good stuff.

For a nice 2D fighter - get hold of Capcom vs SNK 2000 PRO (Japan only) - it's nice. I like it better than CvS2.

Prophet said:
Cannon Spike is a MUST HAVE. And it looks amazing on VGA.

Also check into Propeller Arena - it's an air combat game by AM2 that was finished but never released for sale because of 911 (there's a level in a city and Sega feared images of planes blowing each other up next to skyscrapers would look bad). But the ISO is out there and it's a nice game. Cool to see a game that you otherwise wouldn't.

If you like SHMUPS, look into Psyvariar 2, Mars Matrix, Zero Gunner 2, Under Defeat, Shikigami No Shiro 2, Border Down etc. Good stuff.

For a nice 2D fighter - get hold of Capcom vs SNK 2000 PRO (Japan only) - it's nice. I like it better than CvS2.
Thanks Prophet - you seem a true expert on all things DC! That Propeller Arena game looks awesome (some nice info on the net). I see that a Half Life port was almost finished,and like Propeller Arena has found its way into the public. Have you tried it? I'm thinking the DC's controls would not be best suited to FPS's? You probably have to use control buttons to move, and analogue stick to aim/ look around (bit like they are on PSP at the moment).

Anyway, thanks for all the recommendations - loads of new games to try out :)

Half Life is particularly bad on the DC. It's sluggish, the controls are awful (it's to be expected with only one analogue stick) and the constant loading ruins the game. If you're a Half Life purist and must try it then by all means do so but I wouldn't recommend it.

Oh and don't forget to get yourself a copy of Soul Calibur for your DC. It's not complete until you have that. It's a truly fantastic game and in my eyes, by far the best in the series.

Ganepark32 said:
Oh and don't forget to get yourself a copy of Soul Calibur for your DC. It's not complete until you have that. It's a truly fantastic game and in my eyes, by far the best in the series.
Was playing Sould Calibur for over 3 hours last night! Amazing. I'm not normally much of a beat em up fan, but SC is great - i am starting to understand the depth of tactics in the game. Usually i just button mash ..

Think I'll give Half Life a skip - I bought it anyway via Steam for my laptop. Setting up my joypad to play it properly has been a bit pf a pain. I'll get around to it someday but will be sticking with DC games for a while to come.

Back