Dreamcast Help

cherrycyanide

Website
Visit site
I have a couple of Japanese Dreamcast games that I want to play on my American Dreamcast. Does anyone know what I need to do to get then to play??

Are there any good accessories for the Dreamcast that are worth getting??
I just recently learned about VGA box...

cherrycyanide said:
I have a couple of Japanese Dreamcast games that I want to play on my American Dreamcast. Does anyone know what I need to do to get then to play??

Are there any good accessories for the Dreamcast that are worth getting??
I just recently learned about VGA box...
Make sure to get a real VGA box, not an S-Video to VGA box (with the real VGA cable the Dreamcast is producing each color separately).

Also make sure that your VGA display is capable of 640x480 (as in a low resolution projector or the old style PC monitor, possibly a 480p early HDTV) Otherwise the quality isn't as good as it could be. But probably better than S-Video (OK, definitely better than s-video, but not the best it could do on a proper 640x480 display).

I don't have any import games, but I think you can burn a CD to play imports at home. I know I have a bunch of homebrew on CDs and it reads them just fine. (no danger in using a CD as a boot disk for imports, it can't hurt the laser.)

Last edited by a moderator:
I can recommend VGA box from this guy http://www.racketboy.com/store/dreamcast-v...x-svideo-av.htm

He has quite reasonable price and worldwide shipping. I bought 3 or 4 from him and everything was fine.

640x480p VGA mode is very nice for many games while few of them looks worse. In games like Rez I could easily read all the tiny messages on upper left corner of screen. That was impossible on classic CRT TV.

Here http://dcforums.co.uk/forum/index.php?show...t=0&start=0 you can find VGA compatibility list (maybe you will need to register to see that topic). In short, it's like 95% of games support VGA (some of them only patched for VGA).

Back