Driver problems: compiling, wrong kernel version, linux headers

charel

Still Fresh
I ran into another problem when I wanted to use the OP with the aircrack-ng suite. I got that installed fine now (following this: Installing from source) in PanDebian (which is awesome, many thanks to Gregor!). However I want to use my ALFA AWUS036H which has an RTL8187L. It runs w/o a problem except for injection and monitoring and is using the rtl8187 driver (which apparently comes with the kernel from v. 2.6x+), but according to the aircrack wiki needs to be patched. However, I found no information on the location of the original drivers in the system and only some information on how to download the drivers separately, patch them and install them.

So far so good, but the latter doesn't work. I can patch the downloaded drivers but I can't install them, as make gives me this error:

make -C /lib/modules/3.2.53/build M=/home/charel/Downloads/rtl8187_linux_26.1010.0622.2006/ieee80
211 modules
make: *** /lib/modules/3.2.52/build: No such file or directory. Stop
make: *** [modules] Error 2

I use the drivers provided by the aircrack wiki which, as you can see above, are from 2006 and for some 2.6x kernel. I created the build folder manually but it gives me almost the same error again.

I tried to download the 3.2.53 linux headers specifically through apt-get, but it can't find it (unable to locate package).

So my general question is: how do I get the ALFA working?

If anybody could help me or point me out to some solution to get the drivers installed, or newer drivers (only found some very vague indications about new ones, but not actual new ones), that would even be better.

On a sidenote: Now that I got PanDebian working I'm really pleased with the OP. The only issue I got (besides the driver one) is that most of the [sHIFT] + [random] keys on my bluetooth keys don't work.

Last edited by a moderator:
You'll probably need kernel sources

git clone git://openpandora.org/pandora-kernel.git
git checkout --track -b pandora-3.2 origin/pandora-3.2

make omap3_pandora_defconfig (if you want to configure it for the OP)

and also the cross-compiler used to build the kernel if you want to build only the module:

Sourcery G++ Lite 2011.03-41

You can also setup Slackware and recompile directly on the OP (don't forget the 3d driver):

http://pandorawiki.org/Software_projects/OS/Slackware/Advanced_usage/Kernel

Last edited by a moderator:
Back