Driving Tests....

Axeman

Axemeister
Website
Visit site
Hmmmm

Well... I just failed my driving test for the second time.

Bitchin'

And on really stoopid stuff too. What are the tests like elsewhere in the world? Her in bBritain, the pass rate on 1st test is about 27%. Goes up to about 42% on second test.

I hear they're easier elsewhere in the world?

Hey do u get to go on the autoban (spelled wrong I'm sure)? If I'm stupid and that's not in britian just tell me so I can hide i a corner. :lol:

I passed my first time, and I drove my dad's mini van! I think it is pretty easy to get a licens in the states. I know some people that have failed for yeilding on a redlight and rolling onto curbs and such. When I took the test I didn't even go through all of the actual driving tests. The instructor stopped me on the side of the road and I had to explain how to park on hills to him...

But anyways good luck on your next driving test.

I passed my test here in the UK in August. Axeman should come to Milton Keynes to take his test, the city was built with the car in mind ;)

I passed first time with 4 errors. One of which I said the tread on tyres should be an inch . D'oh!

What did you do that was so bad? A serious fault is pretty damn serious and you have 15 minor errors before being stopped. Manoeuvres can be tough, but really practice does make perfect.

The only other advice I can say is to bitch slap observations, as it reassures the driving test man that you're in control.

I passed my test here in the UK in August. Axeman should come to Milton Keynes to take his test, the city was built with the car in mind ;)

I passed first time with 4 errors. One of which I said the tread on tyres should be an inch . D'oh!

What did you do that was so bad? A serious fault is pretty damn serious and you have 15 minor errors before being stopped. Manoeuvres can be tough, but really practice does make perfect.

The only other advice I can say is to bitch slap observations, as it reassures the driving test man that you're in control.

Stalled three (yes, THREE) times on a hillstart. DONT KNOW HOW! I never stall usually. Must have been the nerves.

Fecking annoying. The first test I failed becasue I was sying of Tonsilitis on the day, and could hardly see the road never mind anything else.. :huh:

Ah well - third time lucky!

@speedmike - Yeah, I think it is pretty easy in the states from what I've been told.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can´t really tell you about the new tests in germany (they have changed in june), but when I made my License (march) it was like this: You got 2 double sided A4 papers, each containing about 8-16 questions. You were allowed to get 8 points (if you got 9, you failed). But that doesn´t mean you were allowed to get 9 QUESTIONS wrong. Each question you answered wrong, gave you a certain amount of points, depending on how important the question is (from 2 (rarely) over 3 and 4 (common) to 5 points (also rarely)). I only failed it once (I made that test 3 times, the first time when i was 16 in order to be allowed to drive scooter, and 2 when i was 18, from which i failed the first, hence why I had to make a third). You are allowed to fail it twice, if you then don´t manage to pass it, you have to wait another X months (not sure if 3 or 6). However, the new test is said to be little different. basicaly you get more questions now, but are allowed to make less mistakes.

the practical test is a 30-45 minutes drive (depending on how you drive). The ylet you do all the tricky stuff (start on a hill, parking sideways etc.). I only had to drive 20 minutes, because the tester wanted me to stop in front of a certain building, so he could bring away stuff. I then had to wait 10 minutes until he came back. And I didn´t have to do anything tricky. Lucky me :p )

I've heard its really easy in Egypt. All you need to do is move forwards and reverse and thats it.

If you're stalling on a hill, then the clutch is too high and theres not enough rev (Acclerator needs to be down more). If it becomes more of a problem in your next test, get a bigger sized car to do it in. :)

Since passing the test, driving on my own has produced some "experiences" of the brown trouser variety. I've had a near head-on collison with a lorry that scared the shiz out of me.

My local DVA centre is spose to be the 2nd hardest place to park in the UK

my brother was the first person to pass in a MONTH

I passed my theory in wicked awesome style, 11 out of 14 5/5s in the Hazard perception ;)

To do a hillstart, I just Fire the handbrake on. Let the clutch up slowly with lots of revs untill I feel the car slightly pulling (This lets me know that If I release the Handbrake, The car wont roll back ;) ) I then release the handbrake and gogogo :)

I used to kick ass at reversing around a corner now I hit the curb :(...

To do a hillstart, I just Fire the handbrake on. Let the clutch up slowly with lots of revs untill I feel the car slightly pulling (This lets me know that If I release the Handbrake, The car wont roll back ;) ) I then release the handbrake and gogogo :)

I used to kick ass at reversing around a corner now I hit the curb :(...

Hehe - Hillstarts are actually easy - I never screw them up - except for today!

The irony is, my reverse around a corner manouver was uphill too, and I did that no probs :p

Last edited by a moderator:
... Well i'm only 15 (i could take drivers ed now but don't want to). But i plan on moving to las vegas where there are no hills :D . cept for one little tiny one but you can't park on the side of the road there. Also why i'm not taking it is because washington has a lot of hills. ;)

Yeah the insurence thing i think is stupid. And it's not cheap for me since i'm a boy... and i don't have that great of grades.

I learned everything on an automatic. Can you choose what car you bring to the test? My own first truck was a Manual and my car after that pos truck is also a manual. Manual transmission is really fun for me. Pretty soon the clutch and gas pedal will become a part of your body and you will have no trouble driving it.

I know doing the driving test can make one nervous hahahaha I think *think* I ran a stop sign on the way to the test. Talk about being nervous once I got to the examination at the dmv. I would be scared shitless if I was the person giving the exam. I wonder how many people crash while taking driving tests.

If you look at my profle I'm wearing a New Jersey DMV shirt that I got at Ragstock at the Mall of America. its one of my fav shirts and it only cost like 8 dollars.

thecheat:

Heck yeah my insurance is hella high! I pay a good $1000 every 6 months. That's with a speeding ticket though. Do you guys have points on your license? Here in Wisconsin we start out with 12 and that speeding ticket took 4 away :( but I should be getting them 4 points back in Feb. I think the point system is stupid not only did I have to pay $150 dollars but I also was 1/3 of the way to losing my license.

passed first time in the uk... but driving on your own does become scary at times..
Joining onto a motorway from a small slip road
Overtaking a slow car who decides to race me on the overtaking (with an oncoming vechicles)
Aquaplaning at 70mph
Having a car pull out without looking on a dual carriageway and missing by inches (only because I braked and almost had my rear slide out)

what difference does it make if your alone or not. imean having a spouse or friend won't make it better in fact it should only make it worse by destracting you by talking. and it's not gonna help the fact that other people are like, "Oh, well, he's not driving alone. so i can't race him in between traffic then tail gate him or pull out in front of him nearly missing him by inches." ;)

Back