Ds Emulator Interface

Reknel

Still Fresh
I have seen many people on the forums saying that emulation of the DS would be impossible not because of hardware but rather because of the issue of having two screens. But if you think about it, not many games make use of both screens at once, you could count them with your hands.

To name a few where you don't use the second screen often: Zelda (both of them), Mario 64 DS, Pokemon (all of 'em), Metroid and so on. The fact that you don't pay attention to both screens (or only partially) means that you could display only a part of the second screen. Something like this:

xl05rc.png

If I calculated the sizes right, those are the real screen sizes of the ds and the pandora in comparison. You lose a bit of sight on the second screen but it is not so bad after all, you can see most of the image. After all, you won't really be paying much attention to the other screen. The idea would be to put in front the first or the second depending on your needs, by pressing button F1 or something. The image is self explanatory.

As for games like brain training, Hotel Dusk and so on where you play with the DS sideways you could use an interface like this.

jgnorq.png

The blue part is the original DS screen sizes in comparison to the Pandora's. The black part is how the separation between screens would be were the screens at their original size. The black stripped part is what you would add to the separation if the screens where the size of the red stripped part. The green part is the additional surface the pandora's screen would need to host them both at their original size. Even if smaller than originally intended, it's not so bad isn't it?

What do you think?

EDIT: Fucking great, first post and the image doesn't fucking show itself.
EDIT 2: Uploaded the images to megaupload until I figure what the hell is wrong with the images http://www.megaupload.com/?d=TSCDTP9C
EDIT 3: Megaupload sucks

Attachments

• xl05rc.png
    xl05rc.png
    2 KB · Views: 112
  • jgnorq.png
    jgnorq.png
    7.9 KB · Views: 127
Dude, you can't just take the ImageShack URL and use it as an image URL. You have to use the source image. E.g. (quote me to see the correct URLs):
horizontalg.png

vertical.png

ALSO, the statement that the layout of the screens was an issue is simply false. That's really the least of our concerns right now; the Nintendo DS has about an eighth of the Pandora's resolution, and both screens would easily fit vertically on the Pandora with room to spare, and they would have the correct resolution (but they might be a little too small).

No, the issue here is more that emulating the DS will be extremely difficult. It will be almost impossible to get a DS emulator up and running to full speed on the Pandora.

</flameextinguisher>

dflemstr said:
Dude, you can't just take the ImageShack URL and use it as an image URL. You have to use the source image. E.g. (quote me to see the correct URLs):
horizontalg.png

vertical.png

ALSO, the statement that the layout of the screens was an issue is simply false. That's really the least of our concerns right now; the Nintendo DS has about an eighth of the Pandora's resolution, and both screens would easily fit vertically on the Pandora with room to spare, and they would have the correct resolution (but they might be a little too small).

No, the issue here is more that emulating the DS will be extremely difficult. It will be almost impossible to get a DS emulator up and running to full speed on the Pandora.

</flameextinguisher>

I uploaded them to Tinypic and worked. MMMMmmm I didn't know that about ImageShack, I'll just stick to Tinypic.

Last edited by a moderator:
You won't need the analog nubs for DS emulation so you should just put the second screen there.

Nah... there wouldn't be enough space where the nubs are. The zoomer thing is a good idea, but in the pandora the thing would be to reduce the the screens to fit in the pandora. If it's solved why do people still say that there isn't enough space?

You know, I think you're on to something here. But wait! If we alpha blend the screens together and then stretch the image, we'll be able to see both clearly, while solving the touch screen confusion issue simultaneously.

demov.png

And then we can put an overlay in the middle, showing real time renderings of a game that actually looks good.

Attachments

• demov.png
    demov.png
    641 bytes · Views: 129
Protip: We were joking about the screen layout.
The Pandora's display is actually high-resolution enough to just stack the DS screens normally if I'm remembering correctly.

You would even have room for an Internet radio client on one side.

But fitting the DS screens with their orignal resolution would make them too small, maybe too small in fact. It would be better to resize them like the NO$Zoomer does.

Does anyone know what happened to the Craig Stalker, the page doesn't load?

Sheesh, it's finally solved! Expect the DS emulator in two days!

(being sarcastic if you haven't detected it yet, this is about the 10th time someone has posted something like this without really understanding that screen location is the least of the problems in porting a DS emulator to the Pandora)

Mr.Confuzed said:
You know, I think you're on to something here. But wait! If we alpha blend the screens together and then stretch the image, we'll be able to see both clearly, while solving the touch screen confusion issue simultaneously.

This is a very smart idea but because the user rarely has to focus on both screens at once the alpha value should oscillate between 0 and 100%. But the frequency should be semi-random in order to help the player be alert.

cbox said:
Sheesh, it's finally solved! Expect the DS emulator in two days!

(being sarcastic if you haven't detected it yet, this is about the 10th time someone has posted something like this without really understanding that screen location is the least of the problems in porting a DS emulator to the Pandora)

Yeah, I fucking know there are issues regarding power consumption, RAM, FPS and so on. I'm not entirely stupid okay? But as I kept seeing people saying that, I thought to opena new topic. But it's okay, I'll shut up!

Oh man, this is epic!

When I read Elwings post, this was exactly the reply I was hoping for :D

LOL you n00bs don't know what you're smoking.

All you've got to do is copy the Nintendo DS .EXE to the shift key on the Pandora...and then you can dual boot the nintendo DS over the wifi and run the Roms from the hard drive!

Sorted.

Patrick R Ludvigsen said:
We should ask StreamMyGame for a DS port

Sadly, they would do it.. But they don't know how to do the screen layout :/

why not scale the touch screen rez up and the topscreen be actual rez
ds.jpg

margin is essential to be able to use the touchscreen effectively

Back