Dual-boot Vista + Ubuntu

Raz

So now, Im thinking of dual-booting. Ive found a good tutorial (it applies to 8.04, but it should go into 8.10 as well, right?)

apcmag.com/how_to_dualboot_vista_with_linux_vista_installed_first.htm?page=1

My questions are can I mod the partitions after Ubuntu is installed. Like if I found out I gave way to much to Ubuntu, and need more for Vista, there would be no problem in doing that? Of course, I'm also asking for a simple way to uninstall Ubuntu if I found it lacking.

I have never used Ubuntu, but in life you need to make a switch at some time. I guess its curiosity, the idea of open-source, the fact that it looks cool and well lets face it, Im in a community that likes open-source things so why not. I got nothing to lose. Just need to make some shifts over to my usb drive.

Last edited by a moderator:
You could always just use the live cd to test it for awhile without modifying any partitions

I'd just like to know if it would be a problem if I wanted to mod the partitions with two OSes. Thanks for the suggestions though. Booting of a CD, sounds interesting.

If you don't have anything kind to say, don't say anything. No disrespect but I was not debating whether I should dual-boot Windows and Linux , I was asking if I can mod the partition after dual-booting

Yes you can, but you may well end up with problems. Vista likes to do it's own disk management and can fall out when something else changes it. Generally I would suggest trying to get your partitions about right before you start. It is also an idea to have Ubuntu create a seperate partition for root and home.I also create a seperate partition for data and media and have found this is more successful as FAT32 than NTFS because sometimes with NTFS one operating systme (usually Vista) thinks the other operating system is still using it (I have no idea why, just passing on my experiences)

Altering partition sizes after the partitions have been created is risky business and doesn't always work. It can be done, but it's much better to plan out your partitions first.

data and media and have found this is more successful as FAT32

Until you want to copy a 4.5GB iso - then you're stuffed! :p The reason NTFS is locked under linux - is because of improper shutdown in Vista (e.g. hibernation, suspension, turn off too early etc). Also there's a command in linux to force a mount, if things get really stuck

'lizard808uk' said:
data and media and have found this is more successful as FAT32
Until you want to copy a 4.5GB iso - then you're stuffed! :p The reason NTFS is locked under linux - is because of improper shutdown in Vista (e.g. hibernation, suspension, turn off too early etc). Also there's a command in linux to force a mount, if things get really stuck
Yeah, I agree - that's why I started with NTFS. But it is Vista that had the problem reading the drive after using Ubuntu for a while. That's the only reason I had one partition that was FAT32. If you drive is large enough you could have one of each.

EDIT: So, I've decided to use Ubuntu Live until Windows 7 Full comes out. By then, I'll backup all my media on my USB Drive and completely erase everything on my C Drive and then partition it before installing the OSes (if possible)

Leave most of the space for Vista, as you can view your Vista partition whilst using Ubuntu but not the other way around.

'Raz' said:
If you don't have anything kind to say, don't say anything. No disrespect but I was not debating whether I should dual-boot Windows and Linux , I was asking if I can mod the partition after dual-booting
internet

your mother was on the internet.

With that said, I'm not going to reply to you anymore, wouldn't want a flame war or sumthin.

'Username' said:
Leave most of the space for Vista, as you can view your Vista partition whilst using Ubuntu but not the other way around.
Yes you can, ext2ifs ;)
EXT3 is a superior file system to NTFS in that it doesn't fragment(to any noticeable degree) and has a proper permissions support. You generality don't want your data on the same partition as the OS anyway, putting data on a different partition makes recovering from problems, and upgrading distros a *LOT* easier.

Linux dousen't use the ancient drive lettering scheme in windows, it uses a virtual file system and mounts every partition into a single tree. For example, the home folder could be stored on a server on the other side of the world and it would still function exactilly the same... though inevitably slower.

Fat32 is an ancient standard and is too limiting in modern computing due to the file size restriction, it should have died long ago, along with GIF.

Back