Duke2x V 1.4: Plays Duke Nukem Intro Vid Then Black Screen

JakeK

Website
Visit site
(Put the version part of the title in the wrong way.)

As I said in the title when I run Duke2x it plays the intro vid (which involves the Duke Nukem 3D symbol) and then goes black and nothing happens.

Now I believe I have Duke Nukem 3D V 1.4 as that is what my CFG says.

Just for the hell of it I put in the CON files to cross off that possible problem.

Read the readme a thousand times and have spent multiple days trying to get this work.

Cheers

Jake

Spent a lot of time getting it to work as well. Here is my directory listing:

12/30/2007 04:59 PM <DIR> confiles
01/01/1980 12:00 AM 4,907 duke3d.cfg
07/03/2007 09:39 PM 2,187,496 duke3d.gpe
12/18/2006 01:56 AM 44,356,548 duke3d.grp
12/25/2007 11:40 AM 2,033 duke3d.png
01/01/1980 12:00 AM 1,025,533 game0.sav
01/01/1980 12:00 AM 1,025,533 game1.sav
07/03/2007 09:40 PM 2,376 readme.txt
01/01/1980 12:00 AM 34,703 tmpsong.mid
01/02/2008 12:40 AM 5,816 timidity.cfg

confiles dir:

12/31/2005 02:19 PM 35,593 defs.con
12/31/2005 02:19 PM 143,504 game.con
12/31/2005 02:34 PM 127 readme.txt
12/31/2005 02:19 PM 45,380 user.con

Cheers, I'll chuck those in to see what happens. Do you have the Atomic Version and are the *.CON files in the confiles folder the originals or ones you placed in their?

JakeK said:
Cheers, I'll chuck those in to see what happens. Do you have the Atomic Version and are the *.CON files in the confiles folder the originals or ones you placed in their?
I'll have to check. Since I am using the original confiles (not from the CD) I am leaning toward version 1.3d. I will check my CD when I get home to verify I am using AE.

P.S. I googled and it seems that the byte size corresponds to AE 1.5. Will still check later.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok new development, I put most of the games files in the Duke2x folder and more happens. A Duke Nukem screen shows, then the Duke Nukem logo animation plays then the next screen shows a half a screen full of lines and what not.

I put all the files in the Duke2x folder and what happens above still happens.

As previously mentioned, I think you need to replace the con files with the ones from your CD. The ones that came with the emu may be 1.5.

Nothing to do with con files, you'll still be able to start a game no matter what version you've got. Put on the files it says in the readme, remove anything else, and put con files in the main folder (not in the confiles folder like bman has). If it doesn't work then it's possible your sd card is corrupt - try formatting and putting the files on again, or you've got that illegal version 1.7 that I've never tested (and I don't care if that works or not).

woogal said:
put con files in the main folder (not in the confiles folder like bman has).
Hmm, OK, so why does mine run? I am using AE 1.5 without con files in the root. Are there features that won't work? I've only played part of the first level so far but it seems to be alright.

bman said:
woogal said:
put con files in the main folder (not in the confiles folder like bman has).
Hmm, OK, so why does mine run? I am using AE 1.5 without con files in the root. Are there features that won't work? I've only played part of the first level so far but it seems to be alright.

The files are also included in the .grp, and those are used if alternatives can't be found.

woogal said:
Nothing to do with con files, you'll still be able to start a game no matter what version you've got. Put on the files it says in the readme, remove anything else, and put con files in the main folder (not in the confiles folder like bman has). If it doesn't work then it's possible your sd card is corrupt - try formatting and putting the files on again, or you've got that illegal version 1.7 that I've never tested (and I don't care if that works or not).
A corrupt SD would mean other games would not work right?

woogal you were right! My SD needed to be formatted. Cheers.

Oh and how do I get the guys voice to not sound like a girl? :p

Also how do you get to the menu in-game?

Just thought i'd put in a quick query since this thread seems suitable:

I have Duke3D v1.4, and have followed the readme instructions but cant get the game to load. I get a little arrow up the top right of my screen, which disappears and then just a black screen.

Anyone heard of this problem before?

I kept chucking in all different files until I got those 2 different screens. Formatting my SD card fixed it entirely. Try it, it fixed all the other problems I was having as well.

Back