Duke2x Wont Start - Black Screen

mysticode

Still Fresh
When I try to start Duke2X, the screen goes black and it sits there. Telnetting into the unit, I can see that Duke2X is not running and neither is the menu.

If I try to start Duke2X from the telnet session I see the following

Code:
[root@gp2x duke2x]$./duke3d.gpe
SDL: GP2X_CreateDevice
SDL: GP2X_VideoInit
fastioclk = 0, grpclk = 0
real screen = 320x240 (ilace = 0)
				   Duke Nukem 3D v1.4 - Atomic Edition
				   Copyright (c) 1996 3D Realms Entertainment

STUB: CONTROL_ClearAssignments (CONTROL_ClearAssignments, control.c:218)
  * Writing defaults to current directory.
SDL: VideoQuit
SDL: GP2X_FreeHWSurfaces
SDL: GP2X_DeleteDevice
Sound system is not currently initialized.

Can anyone help with this? I am using the duke3d.cfg file from the wiki.

Thanks

Are you using the updated .con files? Only if you have the atomic version of the .grp file, you'll need to use the .con files from that version, too. Also by default the .con files are in a sub directory with the duke2x extraction, and you need to move them up one level.

DrDerekDoctors, well this may have been the problem - sort of. It is the Atomic edition and I did copy over the con files, however I think I copied over the con files for Duke it out in DC by mistake. Unfortunately for me, when I went to try to copy over the correct ones, something screwed up and the file system is partially corrupt so I have to wait until I get to my SD card reader tonight so that I can run a file system check on it. Hopefully this was the only problem and after running chkdsk on it, it will be all better.

Lobo, I did do a search first and as I said, I had copied over the con files. The error message didn't sound like it could be caused by the con files. I thought perhaps I have having a libraries issue.

Thanks

Lobo, I did do a search first and as I said, I had copied over the con files. The error message didn't sound like it could be caused by the con files. I thought perhaps I have having a libraries issue.
OK, you searched but you didn't read what you found then :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Damn, I'm doing everything what it is said in instruction and still I can't get it to work. I get the same "Sound system is not currently initialized."
I've tried EVERY cfg file I could find here, I've placed con files in the same dir as duke2x.gpe or in subdir, I've deleted con files...nothing. Any Ideas?
P.S.
I'm using GP2x mk1 fw2.0
Duke3d Atomic Edition

Still isn't working - failing with the same message.

Could someone who has Duke2X working please run it from a telnet window and see what messages it prints out?

Thanks

I don't know what's going wrong, but here are a few guesses - your duke3d.grp file is corrupt, you're not using a supported version (if it's above 1.5 then it's an illegal hack and I won't support it), your card is full or set read only.

If you notice the last message from the actual duke3d code is '* Writing defaults to current directory'. Everything after that is SDL shutting itself down, so there is in fact no error message.

Thanks woogal, I'll try to find my original Duke Atomic CD and pull off a fresh copy of the duke3d.grp and .con files.

The card definitely isn't set to read-only and it isn't full.

Firmware 2.0 messed it up for me. My duke3d folder used to work in 1.4 but after I upgraded to 2.0, I just got a black screen.
I am using atomic edition grp and con files straight from the cd with the wiki cfg file.

Woogal, please fix this.

Purist, try deleting the folder and copying over a fresh copy, Atomic Edition is working perfectly for me under 2.0...

Back