Dungeon Master.. expected behavior?

Makenai

Hi there!

It seems that I am at an impass. I can't for the life me seem to get Dungeon Master to work. Or can I? I have tried various copies and various TOS images 1.02 and 1.04 and to be honest I'm not sure if it's working the way it should, since I never played the ST version - only for PC. I have also tried .ST and .MSA images and various converted hybrid combinations of them.

Here's what happens in almost all cases - I get the loader (or not, depending on the version) followed by a nice FTL logo (or not, depending on the version), then the Dungeon Master logo followed by the menu screen. I can click on the little scroll and read credits, click on 'Resume' to get the load game menu, but when I click on 'Start', the doors open and the mouse cursor disappears followed by.. nothing. It's like a freeze, though the Castaway/GP menus still all work. No keyboard commands, cursor commands, joystick / mouse random clickery seem to get me any father. This may sound a bit clueless - but is that supposed to happen?

Is anyone able to get past that? Considering that the only screenshots I have seen of the emu running at skeezix' site only show the logo and the door, I am not sure. Basically I just want to put my mind at rest as to whether I am or am not doing something wrong. :ph34r:

TIA.

-Makenai

Give it time, takes several minutes to get from the door opening to the game proper.

Like he said :)

The emulation speed suffers for two main things.. 1) math, and 2) disk reads. DM does a huge pile of both unpacking (math) and disk reading after entering the main door to load the game.

Hit Select, hit right shoulder (frameskip goes to 91), then wait till the game actually fires up, then left shouler (frameskip goes to 1), then select (back to whatever mode you were in), and play.

You'll like.

It takes a good minute to get to the game :/

jeff

Eureka - it works! So you mean I had the power to go back to Kansas all along? I guess I should learn to be more patient. Thanks for your answers - and thanks for the great emulator!

skeezix posted on May 10 2003 said:
The emulation speed suffers for two main things.. 1) math, and 2) disk reads.
Might it be a good idea to have a little indicator at the bottom of the screen that shows when the disk is being accessed?

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree, that is an extremely good idea. I have had the need for such an option on a few occasions (the most notable being while loading Gods - the stand alone version freezes at the loading screen)
Maybe several indicators (all switchable) could be added:
- disk access
- heavy unpacking (so we know if the emu is still working)
- Frame rate (just to know how fast the emu is running & if we are playing at the intended speed
thanks,

Loic

Did you find a workable version of Gods? If so, could you post the group/disk number?

Thanks in advance!

skeezix posted on May 10 2003 said:
......and disk reading after entering the main door to load the game.
I can't seem to get the door to open? I've only tried the automation version with both TOS 102 & 104, and left it sitting there for like 5-6 minutes waiting for something to happen.

Any ideas? (I've never play DM before, after reading all these posts i'm really interested in giving it a go)

(edit: aaaah nevermind, i used one of the working images posted in another thread)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back