Dusted off my Pandora and am really pleased with the updates. . .

second exodous

Advanced Member
I just upgraded my Pandora to Super Zaxxon from I don't remember what and I love the auto update feature, it boots faster, and I don't think the suspend ever worked for me.  I upgraded already so I'm in testing and everything seems to work.  I was hoping that there would be a Pandora II out by now, the 1GHz units probably wouldn't benefit me since I do everything non gaming on my phone now anyway.  I also wished that this update would have switched from xfce to lxde but oh well.  The main reason I dug my Pandora out was the vids I have been watching on the GCW Zero, I've been waiting for a new emulation device but the upgraded Pandora kinda put me off from a new device now.  The only thing that irked me was the OS on the Pandora, love the clamshell design and the controls.  So, with a better OS I saved $135.

I just upgraded my Pandora to Super Zaxxon from I don't remember what and I love the auto update feature, it boots faster, and I don't think the suspend ever worked for me.  I upgraded already so I'm in testing and everything seems to work.  I was hoping that there would be a Pandora II out by now, the 1GHz units probably wouldn't benefit me since I do everything non gaming on my phone now anyway.  I also wished that this update would have switched from xfce to lxde but oh well.  The main reason I dug my Pandora out was the vids I have been watching on the GCW Zero, I've been waiting for a new emulation device but the upgraded Pandora kinda put me off from a new device now.  The only thing that irked me was the OS on the Pandora, love the clamshell design and the controls.  So, with a better OS I saved $135.
This is good to hear.  I will have my Pandora this upcoming week.

Everything seems a lot smoother now, I've used PND Manager a ton, love it, it is like what was promised before the Pandora was even out.  It is easy finding things for the Pandora on the Pandora.  I don't know if it updates apps but I think running PNDstore will do that.  Also, the ability to update the OS from within Pandora is nice, no more putting updates on SD cards to flash it.  I also use my Pandora as a USB reader, it is a little slow but I no longer have to carry around an SD reader with me.  I swear the wifi works better also, I was constantly having disconnects before.

It just feels better, I was a little disappointed when I first got mine because it seemed everything was advancing slowly.  Now I love it, best handheld by far I have ever owned.

Of course the PND Manager updates PND's too. Do you use the latest Firefox browser on Pandora, pure awsome too. And a lot of other games and emus got ported / born. Now it even seems we will get PSP and Nintendo DS emulators as well. Hell yeah, Pandora's power is not in her not-so-stellar hardware performance (speaking in context of ridiculous pursuit for hw performance as seen in mobile phones industry) but in highly optimized software and it's ever surprising community around. Ehmm ... why the heck do I repeat something that everyone here must know already?! 

Now it even seems we will get PSP and Nintendo DS emulators as well.
That is exactly the point why I was nagging about ingoreis overly exited posting style. We won't get a PSP emulator for the Pandora. Yes there is a PSP emulator in the repo, but except some spinnig cube stuff it won't be usable to play any games on the Pandora, and there is no reason to belive that this will change in the next one or two years.

Now it even seems we will get PSP and Nintendo DS emulators as well.
That is exactly the point why I was nagging about ingoreis overly exited posting style. We won't get a PSP emulator for the Pandora. Yes there is a PSP emulator in the repo, but except some spinnig cube stuff it won't be usable to play any games on the Pandora, and there is no reason to belive that this will change in the next one or two years.
Even if we don't get it anytime soon, I simply love this restless progress that is happening, people are pushing the boundaries of given hw every day. Just remember where the PSX emulation was two years ago on Pandora.

PNDManager could only be made better if it could also handle the OS updates.

Even if we don't get it anytime soon, I simply love this restless progress that is happening, people are pushing the boundaries of given hw every day. Just remember where the PSX emulation was two years ago on Pandora. 

Yes, seeing such progress in these areas like this is exciting.  Its not wrong to feel excited about it, but it's still important not to make more of it than it is.  

One thing to keep in mind is that these forums are being read by potential customers, in the process of evaluating if the Pandora is the right device for them.  Consider what may happen someone sees "WE HAVE PSP EMULATION WOOHOO!"  but misses the bit where it's pointed out that its not really playable and may never be.  If they make that the deciding factor in their purchase,  then there's likely to be much complaining down the track when they realise it can't do what they wanted it for, especially if progress does not continue as some have extrapolated. (as per the xkcd reference in the other thread)

- Neelix

Back