Early Demo Of New Game (cube Shooter)

charlieb

The game I've been working on has finally reached bare minimum playability.
Don't expect too much but I think it's quite cool and fun even at this early stage.
cube-shooter.jpg

Make sure you run the launch.gpe because the wire3d.gpe will not restart the menu system when it's done. You have been warned.

Get it here

Please let me know if you experience crashes (while the cubes still approach), slowdowns or if you have any feedback at all about it's current state.

Thanks for trying it out
Charlieb

purple_goat posted on Mar 18 2007 at 04:15 PM said:
played it, nice engine, although my 2x lags when creating a new batch of blocks..
Thanks and thanks for the (now included) icon. Is the lag bad. I can't get it to lag really badly except when it's drawing the stupid lines when a cube goes throught the camera. I will improve the cube reset procedure, it could use it!

Cheers
Charlie

Edit: Oh yeah by the way the launch script will produce an output file that records the frame rate once a second.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just tried it, and I like it a lot. The possibilities that you can take this to are limitless :) I experienced no lag at all, however from time to time there are random diagonal lines on the screen - I don't know if they're very close exploded cubes or if it is a bug, so I thought I'd just mention it.

Keep up the great work, and keep us posted!

Alex. posted on Mar 18 2007 at 06:16 PM said:
Just tried it, and I like it a lot. The possibilities that you can take this to are limitless :) I experienced no lag at all, however from time to time there are random diagonal lines on the screen - I don't know if they're very close exploded cubes or if it is a bug, so I thought I'd just mention it.

Thank-you. The random diagonal lines are a punishment ;) for letting a cube slip by. They occur when a cube reaches the camera origin all the maths go haywire. I think I have it fixed in my dev version but I need to check it out before I update it. As for the possibilities, the backend is quite extensive and extensible, for example each cube explosion is generated when the cube is created and is uniqe to the cube. If the cube were a pyramid or do-decahedron they would explode in the same way (I haven't tested it with a do-decahedron yet :). I'm quite exited about where I can take this.

Cheers
Charlie

Alex. posted on Mar 18 2007 at 03:16 PM said:

what kind of card is that on?
(downfall does that [lag] too :unsure: )

purple_goat posted on Mar 18 2007 at 08:43 PM said:
what kind of card is that on?
(downfall does that [lag] too :unsure: )
I used a cheap Chinatown card, it's my brand of choice for testing things. :lol: Is the lag you got in Downfall too a complete pause of everything on the screen for 1 second or less? That seems to happen from time to time to games that use SDL :-(

I have updated the archive. There are quite a few changes, they are:
1) Targetting has changed, now cubes are tagged when A is held down and destroyed when it is realased. You can only tag 5 cubes at once. It's kinda like an instant missile lock.
2) Merged the view and perspective matrices which should yeild a large performance improvement.
3) Cube that you fail to destroy before they reach the camera are automatically reset. This resolves the random diagonal lines across the screen bug in most cases. It can still happen if you destroy a cube too close to the camera.
4) Hid the cursor!
5) Removed debug output from gp2x version, changed scipt so it doesn't dump to a file any more. This might solve the lag problem which I suspect was a pause for the OS to write the buffered output to the file.
6) Renamed the executable to wire3d_gp2x so only launch.gpe shows up.

Get it here

I also have a todo list. If you'd like to suggest which ones you'd like first I may let that sway me :)
1) Sound - I have never done sound before so this will probably take a while just to get to grips with. Also performance issues?!
2) Scoring and additional HUD elements. Pretty easy but is it meaningful without 3 and 4?
3) Additional shapes (more than just cubes), this will need some sort of description file loading which will lead to ...
4) Level description files. The randomness of cube creation at the moment is very convenient for me but sucks for the player because it doesn't take into account the controller and other issues i.e. it can ask the impossible.

Enjoy!
Charlie

seems to be coming along fine! thanks for the update, Great Job!

hi charlie, can't download, looks like permissions?
(need to -x it i think)
cheers && looking forward to trying it :)

poddy posted on Mar 24 2007 at 01:13 PM said:
hi charlie, can't download, looks like permissions?
(need to -x it i think)
cheers && looking forward to trying it :)
My aplolgies, I forgot to change the permissions when I put it on the server.
You should be able to grab it now.

Cheers
Charlie

Back