Easy Overclocking

jcabrer

Still Fresh
Website
Visit site
As more information becomes available, I will consolidate the best peices here so that the most current information is readily available.

Before I go on to explain this, I must state that I accept no responsibility for any damage that may occur to you or your GP32 as a result of trying the folowing (although the guilt will be almost unbearable). Attempt this at your own risk!

Ok. Now that the disclaimer is out of the way, I want to share something I just discovered a couple of minutes ago while playing around inside my GP32.

With only a screwdriver and a #2 pencil, I was able to overclock my GP32 to well over 200Mhz! Do you believe me? Read on!

I first heard about this type of trick in 2000 while looking for a way to overclock my Cassiopeia PDA. I came across a technique where by a jumper was created across two solder points by using a #2 pencil to essentially "draw a resistor".

Tonight, while reading up on how to modify a GP32, I recalled the old trick and decided to give it a try. After a couple of minutes of prying open the case and appyling a bit of #2 to the top of R52 my GP32 166 now has overclocked to 200Mhz+! I took it as far as 224Mhz and then I got scared, so I don't want to push my luck to see how far it will really go.

Update: After viewing some of the comments and doing some testing on my own, I've verified that R52 increases voltage, and R48 decreases voltage, so if you've been edging up to 220Mhz and suddenly things won't boot, add just a bit to R48 to bring the voltage down a bit.

By the way, I used Dr.MD and 3droter to test this all out since they have selectable overclock features.

r52detail1rt.jpg

Amazing! Never thought this old trick could be applied to the GP32!

Which kind of unit did you use? Classic, FLU, BLU, BLU+...? Did you notice any kind of improvement in the emulation speed? You should try something that could go over 166Mhz (and that need it, DrMD does not need it), but at the moment I don't remember the emulators that supports clocks over 166Mhz.

Why don't you take some photos of your unit showing the "virtual" resistor? That would be instructive for everybody.

Great! Great! :)

I'm using a GP32 BLU. I do intend on leaving it that way unless it becomes unstable. I have not checked that ohms yet. My multimeter needs a new battery. I might be a little pointless to measure since the amount of residue and the specific pencil would all vary the resistance somewhat. I guess from a safety spoint of view it would be beneficial to determine what my new Core Voltage is.

YES! I tried it in Mame on one of my 172mhz Blu`s and am going at 192mhz atm. Gonna try something else and maybe higher. :D

Bloody good find jcabrer.

Post more after some more testing.

Trooper

Quiest posted on Apr 18 2005 at 09:27 AM said:
Can you maybe post a picture, where to apply this little mod, for us non technic freaks :D

I have applied the "pencil" technique to countless numbers of athlon processors over the years with 100% success.

However; I am a bit dubious about trying this on my GP32, I think replacing a fried processor in a GP32 might be slightly harder than replacing an athlon chip on a mobo!!

Adz.

Last edited by a moderator:
jcabrer posted on Apr 18 2005 at 08:29 AM said:
I'm using a GP32 BLU. I do intend on leaving it that way unless it becomes unstable. I have not checked that ohms yet. My multimeter needs a new battery. I might be a little pointless to measure since the amount of residue and the specific pencil would all vary the resistance somewhat. I guess from a safety spoint of view it would be beneficial to determine what my new Core Voltage is.

How does Mame Gauntlet play now ? is the speech smooth ?

;-)

BE VERY CAREFUL WITH THIS MOD, YOU COULD END UP KILLING YOUR GP. Just like i have. :rolleyes:

Oh well, Lucky i have a spare.

EDIT: Straight to 224mhz from 200mhz and BAM!,Dead GP. It`s my own fault.

Trooper

adzg posted on Apr 18 2005 at 10:44 AM said:
Quiest posted on Apr 18 2005 at 09:27 AM said:
Can you maybe post a picture, where to apply this little mod, for us non technic freaks :D

I have applied the "pencil" technique to countless numbers of athlon processors over the years with 100% success.

However; I am a bit dubious about trying this on my GP32, I think replacing a fried processor in a GP32 might be slightly harder than replacing an athlon chip on a mobo!!

Adz.

And what does this help me? <_<

meandu229 posted on Apr 18 2005 at 11:23 AM said:
so what you are saying is dont really go above 190.,,,, any pics so we can see which resisitor to pencil and were to pencil

I`d say 200mhz as the topic title says (though your mileage may vary), The trouble is i went straight to 224mhz from 200mhz. I thought the GP32 would just reset and all would be good, But this is not the case with this mod. I may have a go with my other Blu later on this evening, But will not be going above 200mhz this time. That`s if it don`t fry before i reach 200mhz. :p

I may end up having the largest collection of dead GP32`s here at GP32x. Competition anyone. :lol:

Trooper

^^
lol
hmm.... This might make me want to hold on to my GP and try another go at Quake things....
I remember my brother doing this with his old 5200 ultra ( he hit 145 mhz over normal core clock ) 600 to 745 !!

ya, some pics would be nice, hmm, maybe I can make something Quake-ey work
or, atleast just play SNES a bit better

~Octavious

I think 224 is too high under any condition. The bottom line is that we are attempting something outside the limits of the design. As all the trekkies out there know, it is possible to modify the warp drive to outrun a Borg cube, but eventually your ship will blow up if "Q" doesn't save you :)

sounds really intresting to me..
im not good at such things but if im right you just put away one of the resistors of the voltage (if you draw a bridge with the pencil).. its the same method as the voltage mod, besides it adds a lower resister instead of "nothing".
its like playing with the fire.. but a gp32 which runs at 200 mhz stable would be awesome.

Back