Ed, Craigix, Mweston - Anyone

gibberish

2hchoww.jpg

firstly, is this normal?
idling with wifi off i seem to be losing 1% on the battery meter every 2 - 3 minutes...

secondly, something is up with charging. if i unplug the charger and plug it back in, 9x of out 10 it wont charge the pandora. i have to reboot pandora with the charger plugged in to charge it. but today, just now, i did just that and it still isnt charging up. if i keep unplugging and plugging the charger, eventually it'll begin to charge up. bad connection perhaps? i dont have a psp charger to try i'm afraid.

lastly, it takes about 2 times as long to charge the machine as it does to run it out. a full charge takes around 8 hours. this isnt right, is it?

gibberish said:
2hchoww.jpg

firstly, is this normal?
idling with wifi off i seem to be losing 1% on the battery meter every 2 - 3 minutes...

secondly, something is up with charging. if i unplug the charger and plug it back in, 9x of out 10 it wont charge the pandora. i have to reboot pandora with the charger plugged in to charge it. but today, just now, i did just that and it still isnt charging up. if i keep unplugging and plugging the charger, eventually it'll begin to charge up. bad connection perhaps? i dont have a psp charger to try i'm afraid.

lastly, it takes about 2 times as long to charge the machine as it does to run it out. a full charge takes around 8 hours. this isnt right, is it?

Tried reputting in the battery properly?

Last edited:
i've removed and put back the battery a few times now.
i am putting it inside the plastic holder and then clipping the holder into the pandora.

edit: but the battery was already in the machine when it arrived, so i'm guessing you guys did it right anyway.

I too have bad battery performance. I'm not sure if it's quite 1% every few mins, but it's not far off. I don't have any trouble with charging however.

I would first try and drain the battery fully ,to do this you should set the power options not to shut down at 10% or 5% ,so you can really kill the battery ,then remove from the pandora ,boot up pandora with the power adapter ,then insert the battery slowly and let it charge back up ,when it is at 100% ,just leave it in there for about 3/4 hours more charging up ,then pull the cable and shut down the pandora power back on.

if it's still the same then you have a faulty battery or possibly faulty pandora ,looks like the battery did not register the full charge to me.

ps ,this is something i would do ,i make no reference to OPT or anyone else ,give it a try !

paddy said:
then remove from the pandora ,boot up pandora with the power adapter ,then insert the battery slowly and let it charge back up

IIRC thast something MWeston told no to do. Putting battery in while Pandora is on might confuse the power management and even cause something to burn out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm, could you try charging the battery, removing it from your unit and test again after a few hours if it lost its charge?

Sarlix said:
I too have bad battery performance. I'm not sure if it's quite 1% every few mins, but it's not far off. I don't have any trouble with charging however.

Have you got WiFi enabled on startup (that's the default, can be changed in the Startup Manager) without logged into a network?
Network Manager does constantly check for networks then, and that eats up battery (as WiFi will never go into powersave mode).

Last edited:
EvilDragon said:
Hmm, could you try charging the battery, removing it from your unit and test again after a few hours if it lost its charge?

i will do this and let you know tomorrow.
thanks for the help so far.

(i just found out in another thread that my wifi was not turned off it was simply "disabled" (right clicked wifi icon on desktop and disabled it)... so this may explain some rapidly decreasing battery charge perhaps? but it still doesnt explain why my charger doesnt work 90% of the time i guess).

gibberish said:
EvilDragon said:

i will do this and let you know tomorrow.
thanks for the help so far.

(i just found out in another thread that my wifi was not turned off it was simply "disabled" (right clicked wifi icon on desktop and disabled it)... so this may explain some rapidly decreasing battery charge perhaps? but it still doesnt explain why my charger doesnt work 90% of the time i guess).

Yep, that might explain the draining. The only problems I had so far with a battery not charging over xx % was exactly when it really wasn't put in the unit correctly (that's why I asked :))
Of course, you could also have gotten a faulty battery - but normally, faulty batteries would charge to 100% and sometime go down to 0% all of a sudden while using it.

Last edited:
EvilDragon said:
Sarlix said:

Have you got WiFi enabled on startup (that's the default, can be changed in the Startup Manager) without logged into a network?
Network Manager does constantly check for networks then, and that eats up battery (as WiFi will never go into powersave mode).

Yeah I have WiFi enabled at start up, but I always disable it upon login. I also disable WLAN directly (so the red LED goes out)

I've just finished doing an over night charge so it's at 100%. In the last five minuets the estimated time left thing has gone from 21 hours to 12 hours, then to 10, then down to 7, and now its back up to 19 hours. It keeps changing every time I open the lid.

Can I ask how many hours should be displayed from a fully charged battery?

Sarlix said:
Yeah I have WiFi enabled at start up, but I always disable it upon login. I also disable WLAN directly (so the red LED goes out)

I've just finished doing an over night charge so it's at 100%. In the last five minuets the estimated time left thing has gone from 21 hours to 12 hours, then to 10, then down to 7, and now its back up to 19 hours. It keeps changing every time I open the lid.

Can I ask how many hours should be displayed from a fully charged battery?

Mine can be erratic like that too.

Out of interest is this normal: I charged it fully to 100%, and then flicked the switch to put it into power save and closed the lid. 9 hours later (of closed no use) it's on 50%.

mali said:
^ There is a bug disabling power save mode when closing the lid.

Thanks! I remember reading that now - it reverts to normal CPU speed, and simply turns the LCD off.

So 9 hours at full cpu and only 50% battery used is very good!

ste_167 said:
Thanks! I remember reading that now - it reverts to normal CPU speed, and simply turns the LCD off.

was that with or without wifi on ?
With Wifi on this is good, else not that much as the CPU is not the most power angry piece of tech inside the box... (LCD then wifi)

sebt3 said:
ste_167 said:

was that with or without wifi on ?
With Wifi on this is good, else not that much as the CPU is not the most power angry piece of tech inside the box... (LCD then wifi)

I'm guessing it's with Wifi disabled (off?) as I clicked the power slider to put it in power save mode....

and then shut the lid....

..would that turn Wifi back on?

The hours remaining are only based on the current usage.
i.e. do nothing with a slightly darkened LCD and you have 14 hours left.
Start a program which needs some CPU ressources and it goes down to 10 hours.
Let the unit idle again and the time left will go up.

The Pandora does only use as much power as it needs - therefore the remaining time varies upon the usage.

So to test how full a battery really is, the %-Gauge is the value you need to check.

update:

i took my battery out overnight and when i put it back into my pandora it wouldnt turn on. i plugged in the charger and nothing.
i unplugged and replugged the charger 10 or so times and finally it booted up.

it's now sitting with the charger plugged in and i watched the charge go from 0 to 1%.
the red charger light is not solid though, it is flashing. what does this mean? i'm guessing it means criticially low charge or something? edit: it stopped flashing at about 6%.

looks like my battery may be duff?

Back