Emacs

cube48

Website
www.48.cz
Is anybody here who would crate pnd of Emacs?

There already is arm port of emacs-x11 in Angstrom repo which can be easily installed. But it is 40+ MB beast and I don't run OS from SD card.

I've tried to compile the sources but no success. The thing is that I never ever compiled anything before. During the process I learned some new stuff about whole compilation woodoo but I already spend so much time with it which I can't afford (4 - 5 full days over last 2 weeks). Beside the compilation I also tried wrapping the installed version but I could only run non-windowed flavor.

I'm sure that there are guys here around who can port it easy as 1-2-3. As a little motivation I'm willing to donate 10 EUR via PayPal to the guy who will make proper pnd of Emacs-x11.

Also, I'm sure that more people would make use of Emacs on Pandora. My intention is to use it with Org-mode and other extensions so we should be able to put these into appdata folder of Emacs as the .emacs config file. But I guess this is clear to anybody who knows Emacs.

Thanks in advance!

Only if it works like it should P:

EDIT: And now I see it won't.

EDIT2: Fixed, I think

Last edited by a moderator:
Doesn't start.

[----------------------------]{ App start }[-------------------------------]

Warning: Lisp directory `/home/pnddev/Pandora/emacs-23.3/lisp' does not exist.

emacs: standard input is not a tty

[----------------------------]{ App end }[---------------------------------]

Ehhh. I'm downloading the new version first. I'll let you know if it works.

[edit]No, it doesn't.[/edit]

The first build doesn't work at all, since it was a amd64 build :p

Although it seems emacs is not made to be cross compiled, might have to return to this one when I get my pandora back...

Vi works fine, I'm not sure why we need Emacs..

//finding something to hide behind..

Vi works fine, I'm not sure why we need Emacs..

//finding something to hide behind..

I'm a vim-user myself, but I kinda feel sorry for the guys who don't have enough NAND to install another operating system emacs. However; let's not start a text editor war here :p

Slaeshjag, thanks for your effort even if it's not working yet ;)
I've always used vi. As soon as I work out how to use vi I was planning then to try emacs. Still 25 years later...

Have you tried installing the packages from the Angstrom repository?

something like...

# sudo bash

# opkg update

# opkg info "emacs*"

...this lists the info about the packages. Seems like emacs and emacs-x11 are your options.

It's not about the text-editor. I'm looking for a decent XFCE replacement :p

Besides, Emacs has vi built-in.

In all seriousness, Emacs is an application framework and not just a text editor.

I use plenty of modes which have nothing to do with text editing (e.g. the file manager and media player).

@may88: Yes, I had it installed from Angstrom repo and it worked fine. I could easily live with it and still having app. 50 MB free on NAND but the half of me who likes things nicely sorted wants to have it in PND on SD card :D

Btw, I grown up with vi but 'discovered' emacs a year ago. Two different things if anyone would asked me.

I don't do a lot of coding normally. Just writting short shell scripts or editing configs etc. Depending on situation and mood I use anything that comes to my mind and hand. Nano is great for quick open-update-save operations. I never used JED.

I never used JED.

It is really nice and best IMHO terminal programmer's editor. It looks almost like from TurboPascal 7 DOS days [or norton commander's like black/blue layout colors ]. It seems that it is based on EMACS 1.1 [info window in jed -> emacs 1.1] and weights only 2MB.

WJED_FreeTextEditor1.jpg

BTW. Tomorrow i'll release it as PND on my page, if you want to test it.

Last edited:
Did emacs-x11 pnd.. I'll let somebody on IRC test it first since I don't have Pandora.. Will let you know if it works.

Edit:

Ok does not work.. Lemme fix that.

Back