Emulation Development And Gamepark?

ninja_sauce

Still Fresh
This is probably a really dumb point and no doubt breaks international rules of the homebrew code of ethics - but i cant for the life of me understand why gamepark doesnt chuck several thousand dollars at a coder or two to produce an effective psx emulator, effectivly creating the killer app for the machine and presumably gaining a lot more interest and sales?

Don't get me wrong, im not hanging by a thread waiting for the psx emu and am happy enough to be enjoying my snes rpgs - but it seems to just make sence. even if this was done by the backdoor, not an official release but some coder pops up on the forums with a "hey, here is a new emu i've been working on!" and disappears again to rapturous applause and a boom in sales...

and yes, i know that psx emu is unlikely to be 100% effective, but the great work we have seen by zodttd, who is working on this, as far as i know, in between other work to pay bills and programing for other platforms, leads me to believe there could be vast improvements if proper time was devoted to development.

sorry if i'm being stupid, but, you know.....curious and all...

That's a good point, but they probably can't do it officially, they would have to do it with that backdoor method your talking about. If they officially promoted it with their console, Sony would probably close them down as well.

However I have to admit, what we have already was good enough to convince me to get a gp2x myself, I had seen the console for about 3 months, and I finally decided to get it a few weeks ago. If only Marvel Vs. Capcom worked at a playable speed... :blink:

Could the PSX emulator be added to the programming contest GPH is holding? I think that would have been the perfect incentive right there.

im glad it's not just me that thinks this way - it's just considering the continued interest in the psx emulator, threads on here getting to 50+ pages and people hanging on every one of zodttd's posts - not to mention the amount of clips up on youtube of ff7 and what not running....and yeh, am well aware that sony might not be best pleased, the only real sticking point being with the bios as psx games are filling up the bargin bins in computer stores i know

ninja sauce posted on Oct 25 2006 at 07:05 PM said:
This is probably a really dumb point and no doubt breaks international rules of the homebrew code of ethics - but i cant for the life of me understand why gamepark doesnt chuck several thousand dollars at a coder or two to produce an effective psx emulator, effectivly creating the killer app for the machine and presumably gaining a lot more interest and sales?
sorry if i'm being stupid, but, you know.....curious and all...

Well even if GPH could have a PSX emu made and not get closed down by Sony (which they certainly would) they would not be able to make a very effective PSX emu just because of the hardware.

The PSX had 3D hardware, a 33 MHz MIps CPU, plus all kinds of other custom chips for sound etc. The Gp2X has no 3D hardware and only 200-rarely 300 MHz to do it all with. It can never be close to fullspeed anyway. Now it works ok for some select games but anything with heavy 3D going on is not very playable with or without sound. I guess it depends on what you consider an "effective psx emulator" though.

Last edited by a moderator:
What Zodttd/Unai have produced already is about as good as it's going to get. It's not a problem of money or motivation. The GP2X cannot emulate a playstation at full speed even in simple games, it just isn't possible. The hardware is in no way, shape or form cut out for it. And official endorsement of emulation by GPH would likely get them in legal trouble.

Epicenter posted on Oct 26 2006 at 09:26 AM said:
What Zodttd/Unai have produced already is about as good as it's going to get. It's not a problem of money or motivation. The GP2X cannot emulate a playstation at full speed even in simple games, it just isn't possible. The hardware is in no way, shape or form cut out for it. And official endorsement of emulation by GPH would likely get them in legal trouble.

Agree - It seems to me that Zottd has done some pretty far-out coding to try and get psx running, I doubt a 'pro' developer could do much more...

how can gph get in trouble for emulating some chips, besides, arent they in korea? where no law is apparently

DaveC posted on Oct 26 2006 at 01:00 PM said:
The PSX had 3D hardware
I thought YOU would have known by now that the PSX did not have 3D hardware. It had a second core on the main CPU which was basically like a math co-processor which did the 3D transformations.

sand_man posted on Oct 26 2006 at 02:20 PM said:
DaveC posted on Oct 26 2006 at 01:00 PM said:
The PSX had 3D hardware
I thought YOU would have known by now that the PSX did not have 3D hardware. It had a second core on the main CPU which was basically like a math co-processor which did the 3D transformations.
and the rendering was done by...?

the only trouble with the "no, it will never happen" comments are that they have been said quite a few times before, only for someone to come out and do it (i remember reading that starfox/snes would no way be emulated and now that has happened - albeit at an early stage) so it's hard to really take that seriously when such great improvements are seen with every new release.

but anyway, so much for positive thinking - it's vearing off topic.

Well the it will never happen, in this case, is based on hardware facts, try emulating a Xbox 360 game on the GP2x :D

However, I'm not a GP2X export or a gaming hardware expert at all, but perhaps the PSX emulator can get almost every game at a playable rate with the loss of sound, and perhaps even graphics.

If anything, the mini games they sell could be ported or "cloned", for example Vektar , is similar to Geometry Wars which is a game that can be bought for the 360 via the Xbox live marketplace.

And the old classics like Smash TV, and so on, could be played using the original ROM and appropriate emulator, but as for retail games :rolleyes:

sand_man posted on Oct 26 2006 at 06:20 AM said:
Wrong; it had a Geometric Transform Engine (GTE) and a 3D rendering unit. It wasn't very powerful, but it certainly didn't do rendering of hundreds or thousands of polygons on a 32 MHz processor. :rolleyes:

Redeeman said:
how can gph get in trouble for emulating some chips, besides, arent they in korea? where no law is apparently
Officially endorsing that it emulates Sony's games, especially given their militant attitude on legal issues as of late, would put GPH in a very vulnerable position. Sure, you can sell a bong in a store, but you'll turn the attention of the authorities if you don't label it as being for use of tobacco, and put a sign on it that says "Bong! For weed!"

Back