Emulation Quality

shador

Still Fresh
Hey, I'm new to this forum and I would like to ask some questions about the emulation on GP2X

How many emulators are actually working? By working I mean without too much lag and with good sound. Can I play like NES, SNES and MegaDrive games without any bigger issues?

Are there a lot of different emulators for different games on a system or does it exist anny "overall" emulator forspecific systems.

If I get a GP2X it would be mainly because I would want to play NES games, some SNES and maybe watch movies and stuff. Is the machine good at emulating those systems?

Thanks in advance
//
Stefan

Yes the emulators for those systems are good. Next time use the search feature, it'll answer everything you just asked.

Sorry bout that ;)

Though after I did the post I searched the net and this forum for answers. And it seems like the machine handles those systems pretty well yes.

The only problem that I see is if this "Emulation hardware" (as it will work for just that purpose for me) is worth the 200 Euros that it's gonna cost me. Sure you get a nice MP3 player too but I have one in my phone already etc.

Maybe someday when I have some cash over then this can be a nice investment =)

Super Jamie said:
i've written a wiki article about this, i hope you find it useful

http://wiki.gp2x.org/wiki/What_is_a_GP2X_really_like%3F

Firstly, you've inadvertantly made it a requirement that anyone reading the page has an account at pdroms.de - it asks for a password when the page loads.

Secondly, you don't mention that the only decent Gameboy emulator on the 2x will freeze if you leave it at the menu for more than about a minute (requiring a powercycle to get out of it).

Thirdly, it might be useful to mention that gpsp2x doesn't emulate very many games at all in a playable state unless you can overclock beyond 240mhz. It's getting better, but it's still not there yet.

D.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dunny said:
Secondly, you don't mention that the only decent Gameboy emulator on the 2x will freeze if you leave it at the menu for more than about a minute (requiring a powercycle to get out of it).
That has never happened to me.

Edit: Fixed quote box >_<

SiDCrAzY said:
Dunny said:
That has never happened to me.

Seems to be related to the amount of roms you have installed. On a long list, you have to scroll through for a while before you get to the one you want, and 9 times out of 10 it will freeze while doing so :(

Only seems to happen in the frontend menu though.

D.

Dunny said:
Firstly, you've inadvertantly made it a requirement that anyone reading the page has an account at pdroms.de - it asks for a password when the page loads.

Just hit cancel - you can read the wiki okay.

Dunny said:
Firstly, you've inadvertantly made it a Thirdly, it might be useful to mention that gpsp2x doesn't emulate very many games at all in a playable state unless you can overclock beyond 240mhz. It's getting better, but it's still not there yet.

Not true, as of today's exophase release :) (at least I found everything I ran appears to run okay at 200MHz - maybe I'm slowing up in my old age).

kevcal said:
Dunny said:

Just hit cancel - you can read the wiki okay.
Well, yeah - but even so... :)

Dunny said:
Firstly, you've inadvertantly made it a Thirdly, it might be useful to mention that gpsp2x doesn't emulate very many games at all in a playable state unless you can overclock beyond 240mhz. It's getting better, but it's still not there yet.

Not true, as of today's exophase release :) (at least I found everything I ran appears to run okay at 200MHz - maybe I'm slowing up in my old age).
Well, I must say that most of the games I want to play are not doing very well at 200mhz - at 239, I have found that the menus in Sega Arcade Classics is moving very smoothly indeed, but the actual games are not. That is a big improvement, and hopefully there'll be more to come.

D.

Dunny said:

pretty sure you'll find this is a wiki-wide change, not anything to do with my editing

doesn't happen to me either, however others' posts above may shed some light on the situation...

Thirdly, it might be useful to mention that gpsp2x doesn't emulate very many games at all in a playable state unless you can overclock beyond 240mhz. It's getting better, but it's still not there yet.

this is why we have a wiki. nobody owns the articles, and anybody can make improvements where they see fit. please feel free to add, change, and correct if you feel it's appropriate!

Super Jamie said:
Dunny said:

pretty sure you'll find this is a wiki-wide change, not anything to do with my editing
i noticed this the other day and dont know what the hell is going on , has somone abused the wiki and posted a link to the pdroms site on each page or somthing ?

Back