Emulators, Save States, And Pc Ports

lonewolf

Still Fresh
I was about to pick a caanoo up, and just wanted to know in general, do most of the emulators have built in options for save states? mame,snes,nes,gba and the like? (this is great for mame, when I can't sit down for an entire game playthrough)

I also watched some vids (think it was the Wiz versions, but the caanoo plays them too) of ports of X-Com and Exults Ultima7. How does the touch screen recognize right mouse button clicks? Just curious.

On a side note, if anyone reads this who has played with the latest dr snes port on the caanoo, has anyone had good results (i.e. no slowdown, graphic layering issues) with games like: Demon's Crest, Soul Blazer, E.V.O. ? These don't work well on my PSP or DSTwo on the NDS. I know handheld SNES are not that great sometimes (although Pandora looks great but I can't afford it) and i'm hoping the snes emu scene on the caanoo is better for the majority of games. (not counting the FX chip stuff)

Thanks!

spn-x said:
I can confirm that E.V.O. works, one of my favs. :)

Thanks man. I'm basically interested in a caanoo as a portable emulation machine. The emus on the DS are pretty lacking. The GBA on the supercard dstwo is wonderful, but the other stuff isn't good at all. The NES emu screen has to be adjusted every game, the snes has massive slowdown ,audio stutter or terrible layering issues. (EVO can be played, but slow and the sprite layering is messed up. Genesis isn't bad but no chance of segacd of course.

I'm happy with the few PC ports i've seen (Ultima7 portable is worth it just for that!) and the mame quality for anything 80's-late 90's looks rock solid. Even if GPH has left the hardware market, if they keep supporting the dev community for another year or so, that would be great. Either way, there will probably be people doing minor work to improve the emu's and such with this system. $115 is a small price to pay for everything the caanoo is already.

Last edited by a moderator:
don't think that the caanoo is dead, please, GPH can't for now make another console but they still make banch of new caanoos and still support the firmware etc... ;) for the price that it have, is a must have! :D

kayuz said:
don't think that the caanoo is dead, please, GPH can't for now make another console but they still make banch of new caanoos and still support the firmware etc... ;) for the price that it have, is a must have! :D

yes, some complain about the lack of working emulators but everything works great for me. And now only the cannoo and the pandora are left on the open handheld market. So I think the devs will care more about the caanoo.

Does MAME on Caanoo do save-states? If so, I haven't figured out how.
Most emulators, including the others you mentioned, do have options for save-states, though.

As far as Exult and X-com and similar ports - mouse right-clicking is generally done through a button-screen-tap combo. For Exult, it's either one of the triggers (making it right-and-left-handed friendly) and I think X-com is the "B" button. Just hold down the button and tap the screen.

Remy said:
Does MAME on Caanoo do save-states? If so, I haven't figured out how.
Most emulators, including the others you mentioned, do have options for save-states, though.

As far as Exult and X-com and similar ports - mouse right-clicking is generally done through a button-screen-tap combo. For Exult, it's either one of the triggers (making it right-and-left-handed friendly) and I think X-com is the "B" button. Just hold down the button and tap the screen.

Nice. Thanks for the info about the mouse clicking. I'm curious too about save states. I used to do mame alot on the PC a few years ago and it could do save states. (you could set it up for a button in the key config somewhere) Not sure if the caanoo port has it, or it came in a later mame version.

Come on, save states on mame? Isn´t inserting a coin on a button press enough? Who needs more cheating? We are not talking about some 60+hours RPG´s. If you are interested in the game, invest more than just an hour.
Never Mind (the Bullocks)

Akabei said:
Come on, save states on mame? Isn´t inserting a coin on a button press enough? Who needs more cheating? We are not talking about some 60+hours RPG´s. If you are interested in the game, invest more than just an hour.
Never Mind (the Bullocks)

Haha. I didn't mean for the cheats regarding MAME, it's about the time or having to stop part way through a game. Baby wakes up and cries, I can't really jump back on anytime soon and i'm not going to leave it sit there on pause and drain the battery out.
Of course there is stuff that you can play through for minutes at a time, but not everything and save states are great for that.

Hoping somebody can port a version of Shadow Warrior someday. (like the dingoo version) The source code is out there for free on 3Drealms site. ;-)

Back