Engines For Heretic/hexen/hexen2

Pickle

Mega GP Mania
Website
Visit site
I finished some ports over the weekend. I havnt tested these with anything other than the shareware demos. Please give feedback if the full versions and any exp packs are working.

Heretic:
http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/wiz.cgi?0,0,0,0,30,257

Hexen
http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/wiz.cgi?0,0,0,0,30,258

Hexen 2 (includes demo files)
http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/wiz.cgi?0,0,0,0,30,259

Also Rise of the Triad was updated to use a split bar black mode
http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/wiz.cgi?0,0,0,0,30,32

Feedback welcome, any opinions on including demo files? I usually dont since it makes the download much larger, but it can simply the package to be ready to go if the setup is complicated.

Just tried out Hexen 2 with the included demo files. I thought it was nice to include to demo files since it made it just a simple drag n' drop to test it out.
As I was trying to figure out the controls I found it a bit weird that "A" causes you to look up. Had to start to start the level over to reset the view. Also, I think using A+X as alternatives for "Menu" and "Select" in the menus would be nice and keep it consistent with the Wiz menu. Using "B" for attack makes more sence to me as well, but since that can be changed through the menu it's not really a problem. Having the default be "B" and "Mouse1" would be better IMHO.

Other than that I was really impressed. Great job! :)

Geekster said:
Just tried out Hexen 2 with the included demo files. I thought it was nice to include to demo files since it made it just a simple drag n' drop to test it out.
As I was trying to figure out the controls I found it a bit weird that "A" causes you to look up. Had to start to start the level over to reset the view. Also, I think using A+X as alternatives for "Menu" and "Select" in the menus would be nice and keep it consistent with the Wiz menu. Using "B" for attack makes more sence to me as well, but since that can be changed through the menu it's not really a problem. Having the default be "B" and "Mouse1" would be better IMHO.

Does the A key still do that? was is mismapped? I thought i set all the keys.

I went and bought the steam versions, everything runs. The exp pack for hexen can be run by modidying the existing script to have "-file hexdd.wad" following hhexen-sdl like :
"hhexen-sdl -file hexdd.wad"
The exp pack for hexen 2 wasnt included so, still have no idea if that works.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yes. It can be removed in from the controls menu but it reappears on the list when you start the game again (quit to Wiz menu and start again that is).

Geekster said:

Yes. It can be removed in from the controls menu but it reappears on the list when you start the game again (quit to Wiz menu and start again that is).

hmm i wonder why mine hasnt done this. I think you need to look at the config files directly, like default.cfg, make sure you look in the hidden folder too.

Thanks Pickle, I will test now. Thanks for the great work.

Does anyone have a working config file that maybe they can post? "A" looks up and you can't look down unless you restart, and you can't shoot anything.

I can't get hexen to work nothing happens when I try to load it and I know that WAD-file because I just bought it of the ID software store and it runs fine in dingux.

Regards

André

Does anyone have a working config file that maybe they can post? "A" looks up and you can't look down unless you restart, and you can't shoot anything.

You need to remove "bind a +lookup" from both hexen2/data1/default.cfg and hexen2/.hexen2/data1/config.cfg (if present)

Pickle said:
Geekster said:

I went and bought the steam versions, everything runs. The exp pack for hexen can be run by modidying the existing script to have "-file hexdd.wad" following hhexen-sdl like :
"hhexen-sdl -file hexdd.wad"
The exp pack for hexen 2 wasnt included so, still have no idea if that works.

I thought everything on steam was drm'ed?

Pickle said:
fettouhi said:
I thought everything on steam was drm'ed?
Maybe the exe are but the wad, pak are there plain as day

Good to know. Gotta check if I can get "The Dig" from STEAM onto Scummvm on the Wiz or Dingux.

EDIT: Nope doesn't work for the version available on STEAM or Direct2Drive. You need the original CD version of "The Dig".

The 3 full version games (Heretic, Hexen & Hexen II) and the expansions (Deathkings & Portal) all run fine, excellent work Pickle. :)

For 'Heretic', just copy the heretic.wad from your PC installation and put in the same folder as the hheretic.gpe (I'm using version 1.3 (Shadows Of The Serpent Riders))

For 'Hexen 1', just copy the hexen.wad (which needs to be patched to 1.1) from your PC installation and put the in the same folder as the hhexen.gpe

For 'Deathkings Of The Dark Citadel' (H1 mission pack), copy the hexdd.wad (which needs to be patched to 1.1 with dkpatch) from your PC installation and put it in the same folder as the hhexen.gpe, but copy and rename the hhexen.gpe (eg. hhexenDD.gpe), then edit the 2nd line so it reads: hhexen-sdl -file hexdd.wad

For 'Hexen II' (full version), delete the data1 folder and replace it with the data1 folder from your PC installation.

For 'Portal Of Praevus' (H2 mission pack), delete the portals folder and replace it with the Portals folder from your PC installation, but copy and rename the hexen2.gpe (eg. hexen2portals.gpe), then edit the 2nd line so it reads: ./hexen2 -game Portals -heapsize 16

I think the 'Hexen II' and 'Portal Of Praevus' PC installations have to be updated to the latest versions. (1.11 for H2 & 1.12 for Portal)

Timidity works fine with Heretic & Hexen 1, but you need to use the dkpatch to get the music to work on 'Deathkings Of The Dark Citadel.'

Cheers, Neil

Oh, and is there any way to overclock and get music in Hexen II (& it's mission pack)?

Neil L said:
Oh, and is there any way to overclock and get music in Hexen II (& it's mission pack)?

thanks for the short guide, should help everyone else.

overclocking use this app, its just adding a line to the script (note you dont need this if you using gmenu, gmenu supports builtin overclocking):
http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/wiz.cgi?0,0,0,0,8,60

There a design flaw with the hexen 2 engine where they used basic sdl for fx and sdl_mixer for music and neither works together. I did try an oss driver, but it had issues and I couldnt get it to work. So its either music or fx and personally i would prefer the fx.

Are you using the 1.1 version of the hexen.wad (dated: 14/03/1996 01:01 & size: 19.1 MB / 19,613 KB / 20,083,672 bytes)
This is the only thing I can think of.
Cheers, Neil

Edit: It's been confirmed (by trial & error, thank you fettouhi) that the hexen.wad needs to be patched to 1.1 or it won't work!

In ROTT, is there a way to map strafe right to the right shoulder button. I can map left from in the game, but not right.

Firstly, Thanks for your work on hheretic, hhexen and hhexen2 Pickle. Have been having a lot of fun with these over the weekend. Kudos!

While mapping buttons to various functions in hhexen2, I mapped a function to the touchscreen (center view). It occured to me that if the touchscreen were divided up into four separate areas, then a press in each of these areas could have a different key-mapping. You wouldn't be able to press more than one of these at a time, however they would be adequate for look up, look down, fly up/down or weapon/item cycling type commands.

Is this possible with Wiz?

el_capitan said:
While mapping buttons to various functions in hhexen2, I mapped a function to the touchscreen (center view). It occured to me that if the touchscreen were divided up into four separate areas, then a press in each of these areas could have a different key-mapping. You wouldn't be able to press more than one of these at a time, however they would be adequate for look up, look down, fly up/down or weapon/item cycling type commands.

Is this possible with Wiz?

I've noticed this with the touchscreen also, I can't see why it wouldn't work. (If you move the stylus around you get a bit of movement, so there's more there than just a tap for 'mouse1')
If the touchscreen was divided diagonally into 4 triangles (top, right, left & bottom) and bit in the centre (all mapped to keypresses) it would be perfect as we're struggling for buttons on these games.
(This would give us an extra 5 'keys' to map from the game's options screen. (e.g. for 'look up', 'look down', 'look centre', 'inv. left' & 'inv. right')
The touchscreen works with prboom, hheretic, hhexen, hexen 2, ioquake2 (but not eduke32, quake 1, rise of the triad or wolf4sdl)
Cheers, Neil

Edit: I was also thinking, could a shift button/s be added? (To help with the lack of buttons)

e.g.
'Dpad up' coded to emulate button press 'a' mapped (from the game's options menu) to 'walk forward'
'L + Dpad up' coded to emulate button press 'b' mapped (from the game's options menu) to 'look up'
'R + Dpad up' coded to emulate button press 'c' mapped (from the game's options menu) to 'weapon up'
'Dpad right' coded to emulate button press 'd' mapped (from the game's options menu) to 'turn right'
etc.

Cheers again, Neil

Chum said:
In ROTT, is there a way to map strafe right to the right shoulder button. I can map left from in the game, but not right.

Oh yeah, I've never noticed that before.
You don't get any response from it in the keyboard settings screen, could this be fixed?
Cheers, Neil

Also you can't map L or R in Wolfenstein either, as the inputs come up as left & right. (The same as the Dpad's left & right)
Could this one be fixed? (Split black bars on the menu screens would also look better)

Back