Er, This Is A Bit Of A Long Shot But....

Skop

AutoBots.....Transform!!
Website
Visit site
um, well, i'm a bit un-sure, and i wouldn't want to but anyone out n'all... :unsure:
...well here's the deal. :blink:

Um, i got my gp32 on christmas day, and well, haven't been able to download any things onto it though unresponsive usb's. Two - long - months have passed.

so i was lieing down, thinking, and what I thought was:

"is there anybody in the gp32 community who is so god-damn selfless, so generous, as to borrow my gp32 for a while, and well..... put some stuff onto it?

I have no emulators, no files, nothing. It's a live, working gp32 rendered useless through a crappy computer.

*cough* any takers? :p
I live in the uk, and would be so thankful if any body could help.
Futile effort, i know...... :D

Just out of interest, have you tried gpDrive with your USB ports yet? Or an SMC writer? They're sometimes more effective than using the official tools, and the latter is a good buy anyway. Bear in mind the former is a way of turning the GP32 INTO the latter, but only works on some OSes (XP properly, 2K mostly, although deleteing on my machine is a little screwy).

That said, you wouldn't need to lend anyone your GP32 - just the smartmedia card(s). The only problem would be if you were hoping to get GPCinema, and to be honest, I'd suggest you go to an internet cafe to sort that out.

If no-one else volunteers to stick stuff on the cards, and you'd be happy having them sent back to you by normal second class mail, yeah, sure I'll stick some stuff onto them. But you'd have to tell me what, exactly. I'm UK-based too, so there shouldn't be too much of a problem there.

Oh - just realised - you couldn't use GPdrive, as USB ports messed... Darn't.

EDIT: What I wouldn't be happy doing would be taking delivery of the entire GP32 so as to get a copy of GPCinema on it, as I kind of implied. Buy it round a friend's house or something...

All they need to borrow would be the SMC, not the gp32. But instead I would recommend getting a SMC writer so you don't have to go throught the hassle of the USB.

Where abouts in the UK are you?

Also, what operating system are you using and have you successfully managed to install the GP32 drivers on your PC? There may be some stuff in the Help forum that can get you up and running, if you haven't already looked.

If you haven't got anything running yet, you probably don't have FreeLauncher installed. If your GP32 came from GBAX.com and has multi-firmware, this isn't so important and you can just send someone a SMC as Pip says.

How old is your PC and what Operating System are you using?

Windows 95 doesn't support USB (and what'd you be doing with 95 eight years on anyway?!?!?)

Win98 doesn't support USB either but...
Win98SE does. This is where it gets messy. If you have motherboard mounted usb ports, there is a possibility they are screwed if you bought your PC at around this time. USB 1.0 wasn't up to the job so they created USB1.1. Unfortunately, some motherboard manufacturers had already created some USB1.0 motherboards and sold them (I have one here).

Note that Windows 98 is no longer supported by Microsoft anyway, so you ought to look into upgrading that machine. Stuff as much ram in it as you can afford, and upgrade the operating system to XP. Then drop in a USB add in card, wait for the drivers to load and you're all set to upload stuff onto your Gamepark, and you have access to all sorts of other usb goodness (joysticks with more buttons than you have fingers, digital cameras, and printers that are cheaper than their cartridges! :D )

I just have a question: Is it his USB's that are unrespsonsive? Or is the GP32 PC-Link that's not working and he's somehow doing it wrong? I just get the impression he may actually have working USB's but isn't getting the PC-Link to work right.

Yeah never trust anyone over the internet. You'll end up getting your GP32 or SMC stolen. Don't even trust me as I tell you this! :ph34r:

Efompor posted on Mar 6 2004 at 02:05 AM said:
Yeah never trust anyone over the internet. You'll end up getting your GP32 or SMC stolen. Don't even trust me as I tell you this! :ph34r:
That's not true <_< . I got my GP32 and 128mb martmedia card from the marketplace here on GP32X. It works great!

Last edited by a moderator:
USB smc writer would the best buy, about £10 and they work great..else PM me and I can get you some emus and homebrew games.

well, to summarize...

1: Try the USB drivers from dark fader's site.

2: Try GPdrive

3: If none of those work, you can pick up a card reader fairly cheap.

Get a nice USB SMC card reader with HI SPEED capability and make sure you have a USB 2.0 highspeed port on your PC.

Hi-Speed USB 2.0 has a transfer rate of 480 Mbps where as Full Speed USB 1.1 has a data transfer rate of 12 Mbps. You will thank yourself for getting a Hi-Speed one. They usually run about $20 to $30 USD for the single type card writer, or $50-$70 USD for the 6in1 and 10in1's.

I got a nice SanDisk ImageMate USB 2.0 Reader/Writer (Model SDDR-95) it reads SmartMedia and xD cards.

http://www.sandisk.com/retail_usb2_reader_writer.html

You'll be glad you did.

rpgchocobo posted on Mar 6 2004 at 02:33 AM said:
Efompor posted on Mar 6 2004 at 02:05 AM said:
That's not true <_< . I got my GP32 and 128mb martmedia card from the marketplace here on GP32X. It works great!
you're right, not all people are untrustworthy :) I also bought my GP32 on this forum :) actually I traded it for a gamecube ;) haven't had any regrets yet!

I can't really add anything else to the above :) but if you're a belgian, I'll be glad to do so :) but really, try all the above first!

Hi mate,

I'm in SW London - if that helps. PM me if you want me to dump emus etc. onto your SMC.

Mark.

Be happy to help, live in east anglia (ipswich), but probably your best bet is to use a card reader or digi camera that accepts mmc's.

Anyhow, good luck.

pip posted on Mar 5 2004 at 11:43 PM said:
All they need to borrow would be the SMC, not the gp32. But instead I would recommend getting a SMC writer so you don't have to go throught the hassle of the USB.
I HAVE a smc writer. where does the smc writer connect to the computer? THE USB.

ah yes, just the smc, i forget. I've got a 128mb smc. It isn't unresponsive. PERFECT WORKING ORDER.

It IS the usbs, the USB Hub's don't have the correct driver (well, yes they do, but doesn't want to accept it, I re-installed the drivers, everything. check the other post in 'help and stuff'. it's called 'The infamous USB port')

No no no, i wasn't implying anything about gpCinema (I don't want to freeload of somebody elses hard-earned money, just hoping charity really), mainly emulation and roms. from any system. Any good games, really.

(i live in SW London. Kingston to be exact!)

I think my usb hubs got messed when i just got my gp32, and rushed into connecting it with the computer without first installing the software and drivers, thus, when it asked for drivers i had none to offer. Then in classic comedy desperation replaced working order Usb Hub drivers with the gp32 ones, and all went tits up from there on then!) anyway, that is steering away from the point of the topic. I not asking for computer help, just for someone to put some things onto it. Anything, emulators, roms, i really wouldn't mind, just extremely thankful.

Of course i would pay for delivery/packaging etc, but i doubt a smc would weigh much, hell, just a normal letter.

thanks for the response! PM me with details if your interested and vice verca.

Back