Error when trying to install Windows ME on QEMU

Björn

Hi,

i've tried to install an old Windows ME i've got lying around on QEMU. When i get to the graphical installer it always shows me the error: "Your processor must be at least 100Mhz to run Windows" (text is not 100% accurate, because it's a german Windows CD).

Does anyone know how to get around that?

Yes, it won't execute Windows code, thats why it shows me that i need a higher frequency xD

I've tried Windows 3.1,95,98,98SE and could install all of those without problems, I've not tried ME..  I don't know a lot about the behind the scenes of QEMU, but I assumed that Pentium mode emulated an early model Pentium, like a Pentium 60Mhz. perhaps that can be overridden somehow.

Hi..you can use Qemu itself without the Gui for testing Things.

Simply start the Qemu PND and leafe the Window.

Go with Thunar onto your SD Card and open in that Directory a Terminal.

now Type

sudo /mnt/utmp/qemu/bin/qemu -hda ./Harddisk.qcow2 -cdrom -/winme.iso -boot d -no-acpi -no-hpet -soundhw sb16 -net none -cpu coreduo -m 128 -vga cirrus -usb -usbdevice tablet

Explains:

You run Qemu directly from the Utmp Directory and

-m 128 (set your Memory to 128 MB but when you have a GHZ or Rebirth can you set this up to 320 MB)

-hda ./harddisk.qcow2  (or how you named your Harddiskfile)

-cdrom ./winme.iso (or how you namend your ISO)

-boot d  (to boot from Virtual CDROM)

-no-acpi (little Performanceboost)

-no-hpet(little Performanceboost)

-vga cirrus (emulate the Cirrus Logic GD 5446 Grafic Card,Windows should have Buildin Driver for that)

-net none (for no Network Funktion,gives also little Speedboost)

When you want a Network in your Emulated Windows can you put here in

-net nic

and a NE2000 Combatible Network Card will be emulated for Network/Internet Connections in Qemu.

-soundhw sb16 (emulate a Soundblaster16 Soundcard,Windows should have buildin Driver for that)

-cpu coreduo (Little Speedboost and should solve your Problem with the Emulated Pentium@boot)

-usb -usbdevice tablet (after installing work your Pandora Touchscreen under Qemu perfect,but Warning...

...Warning---you slow down your Windows with that a little)

And never forget to use your fastest USB Stick for installing Windows on Qemu ;)

good Luck ^_^

Thanks guys, im going to try that out. I also have a Windows 95 CD i'm going to give that a shot, too.

OK, thanks for getting me started.

P.S. Nice golden Pandora you have there ^^

I got past this error with your cpu setting. I should point out for other people who read this topic, that you can't use this option in the UI (under the other options tab). You have to open it in the terminal for this.

I tried to add other Options to the Gui,

but its Compicated.

The Gui was written from MCobit and

I failed on simple Things like adding a Option or Change a Option.

I have much Ideas for adding Options like:

choosing your emulated Processor

Choosing your Soundcard(with Ac97 support,but in this Version is no Ac97 compiled in)

Adding a Option to use a real Cdrom Drive on the Pandora with Qemu(work,is tested here)

Adding a Option to use a Entire Usb Stick as HDD without Compressions of a Filesystem (work here and i can copy Windows Games/Files onto the Stick without Shared Folder Limitations)

And some other Things ;)

You can specify other commandlineoptions in the other options field in the gui.

You can specify other commandlineoptions in the other options field in the gui.
Hi,

i've tried to specify the processor with the -cpu command line switch in the other options field, but unfortunately it didn't work (still the same error). It only works when executing qemu directly from the terminal.

Yepp that work not because it load standart Pentium then

and when you type another Setting like

-cpu coreduo

will it not used in qemu because its in standard Pentium Setting with the Gui.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back