[Ex-Rebirth Comp] The Collector Plus

pmprog

DNF (Did Not Finish)
Edit: The Collector Plus is on hold, until I come up with a new plan to making this game fun. Sorry guys and gals.

Thought I'd create a thread for my project too.

The Collector Plus is a non-violent team-based Collect 'Em Up, where you race around trying to collect as many stamps as possible. The original game for Windows can be found here.

http://www.pmprog.co...index.php?id=10

Here's a current demo. Not much more than palette and input testing at the minute.

http://youtu.be/WLSm9aSFM_c

Here's a mockup of the sort of environment you'll play in - Notice it's more "indoors" than the original.

mockup.png

Depending how much time I have, there are a few planned game modes:

• The Collector - "Classic" version where you just collect stamps as they spawn in on randomly generated arenas (Up to 4 teams)
  • Capture The Stamp - 2 teams, 2 stamps. Get your opponents stamp to your Stamp Book (whilst retaining yours) to win.
  • Classic Time Trials - Single player, run through the map collecting all the stamps. Fastest time wins
  • Competitive Time Trials - 2 "teams". Each player takes turn in being the "one man team" and goal is the same of Classic, but all the other players have to try and hinder the player. Fastest completion out of all the players wins

The "pushing" mechanic to delay your opponents didn't work too well in the original, so I'm going to hopefully improve it this time, but I'm also adding a few extra bits like doors and "glue bombs" that'll keep things interesting :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks cute - keep up the good work. Do you actually have to have friends to play teams, I'll need time to try and make some if so.

looks great, for some reason it reminds me of keystone keepers down the a2600...it must be those stairs.

Any news so far?

Not really any more than the demo I'm afraid. I've been off work ill the last couple of days, so not really done much. I'm now feeling better and have a couple of days holiday, so I can spend some more time getting this going a bit more hopefully.

Edit: Oh, and no, I have few friends that'll play team (or even computer) games. I'll probably entice a few to help me test it though; and I will try and put some basic AI in again

I've done nothing on this for ages, but I did manage to make a mockup for the title screen. Something tells me this isn't going to reach the rebirth compo

mocktitle.png

I've done nothing on this for ages, but I did manage to make a mockup for the title screen. Something tells me this isn't going to reach the rebirth compo
this is sad :(
The mockup or the probability that it won't be ready for the compo? ^_^

Don't count me out yet, but it will almost definately not have all the planned features. I just need to organise my time and chip away at it.

The mockup or the probability that it won't be ready for the compo? ^_^

Don't count me out yet, but it will almost definately not have all the planned features. I just need to organise my time and chip away at it.
Everyone know you wont win the compo since that qemu affaire... So I understand you lost faith and motivation, yet I want to see something that is original and dedicated like your game to cast my vote.

Everyone know you wont win the compo since that qemu affaire... So I understand you lost faith and motivation, yet I want to see something that is original and dedicated like your game to cast my vote.
Faith and motivation has nothing to do with it (which is very unusual for me, motivation is my biggest downfall). If I miss the contest, I won't be too disheartened, I have a Pandora already. It was more to try and set myself goals and dealines, but my problem has been time. I've had very little spare.

A quick question for anybody: In the screenshot at the top, I've got "stairs" between floors. The original had ladders. Now, ladders would look out of place in a house, but I'm not sure I'm liking those stairs any. Do I go with stairs and hope that as I tweak the graphics they look alright? or is there a better way?

I did consider spiral stairs...

mockspiral.png

Any feedback would be appreciated

I think ladders are better for gameplay. You could give them some slight perspective to make them look like stairways viewed from the front. Best of both worlds!

I do like the look of those spirals, but unless the character sprites did a proper spiral rotation when using them, the whole thing would come off looking a bit cheap.

While qemu is certainly a strong entry into the competition, I always award bonus points for original content when voting in these competitions.

I think ladders are better for gameplay. You could give them some slight perspective to make them look like stairways viewed from the front. Best of both worlds!

I do like the look of those spirals, but unless the character sprites did a proper spiral rotation when using them, the whole thing would come off looking a bit cheap.
I think ladders would look too out of place (though I agree they suit game play better). The stairs had three "problems" that I saw: 1) graphics/visual representation, 2) they are wide thus require wide-ish rooms, and 3) how would you "jump off" them.

Which is where the spirals came in as a crossbreed, giving you a low map "overhead", quick "exit" (jumping off), but still looked like it belonged in the house. The intention was to spiral the player, I couldn't not, it would just look awful if I didn't.

BRAID_HOUSE.png

Does that look out of place? Yes, maybe a little...

Does it bother the player, does he even think of it? I highly doubt it.

(A little bit of interesting background on that design decision, I can recommend reading it)

I would say go with what works best with the gameplay. If something feels out of place it is usually because it does not integrate well into gameplay. Games have done weird things over the time, so games understand they don't necessarily follow the reality (even if they have a realistic scenario/atmosphere) and accept a lot of things, which would seem out of place otherwise.

Also keep up the good work, I always appreciate original software over ports (of old game I have already played), so I am highly interested in this.

(A little bit of interesting background on that design decision, I can recommend reading it)

I would say go with what works best with the gameplay. If something feels out of place it is usually because it does not integrate well into gameplay. Games have done weird things over the time, so games understand they don't necessarily follow the reality (even if they have a realistic scenario/atmosphere) and accept a lot of things, which would seem out of place otherwise.

Also keep up the good work, I always appreciate original software over ports (of old game I have already played), so I am highly interested in this.

Thanks for the link and feedback. I'll read through that as I'm eating tea and what not.

I know ladders work pretty well from the original game (though it did cripple my AI ^_^ I'll have to make sure the new AI is better)

I think the spiral thing might look pretty good, but adds several layers of complexity - moving the player side to side whilst up/down, making sure the player appears behind and in front of the pole/steps at the right places, can you "jump through" the steps, ascending quicker; and what about what controls to use to navigate?

Ladders are simple, up/down, but you can jump onto and off them. You can also jump from the ladders and "reclimb" speeding up ascension. Needs a few extra frames of animation and some really minor control processing. Ladder graphics are easier than spiral stairs too.

I've started working on a world editor in .NET (which should run via mono too), but that would mean it's not available for the Pandora. However, as the first game mode to be implemented will the Classic Collector, which will have an option of random maps, or loading from the editor, I'm not sure whether to focus on the editor, knowing I'd need to provide a map or two with any demos, or just build the generator, but that would take longer. I'm also debating coding the editor into the game, it would make sense, but I can code damn fast in VB.NET

Too many things to think about :(

Hell and damnation, there's more than one prize for the rebirth compo, and qemu cant win more than 1 place. Get your arse in gear, and get your game entered, you might win 5th place and get a replacement stylus or something....

I think the spiral thing might look pretty good, but adds several layers of complexity - moving the player side to side whilst up/down, making sure the player appears behind and in front of the pole/steps at the right places, can you "jump through" the steps, ascending quicker; and what about what controls to use to navigate?
Yeah exactly, I also think it looks pretty sweet, but eventually might cause more work than actual benefit (might even end being frustrating as too limiting to the movement).

Personally I don't like ladders at all, they just hinder movement too much and end up being frustrating (in most games) as you can only move in a single direction, usually have no means of defending yourself, cannot jump (apart from jumping off), create a choke point, etc. So I try to avoid them, but at the same time they are sometimes the best way to enable vertical movement in a game 2D game with vertical gravity.

In Wandor I kept them out from the very beginning for those reasons and did it like WarioLand - using one-way platforms (you can only jump through from below) as a "ladder", in which case you are not restricted in your actions (moving normally vs. being forced to climb), can still move somewhat horizontally (remain 2 degrees of freedom) and yet serve the same functionality.

Still that approach might not apply too well here, when you are aiming for a "realistic" architecture and probably also don't have a fast and hectic gameplay.

Hm, remove the bigger nose of that guy and i would think it's done.
I wish ^_^ It might sit as a stand-in until I can polish it up though

Hell and damnation, there's more than one prize for the rebirth compo, and qemu cant win more than 1 place. Get your arse in gear, and get your game entered, you might win 5th place and get a replacement stylus or something....
I know there's more than one prize. As I said, the compo was more for a goal than to win the prize. My biggest problem is time ATM.

Personally I don't like ladders at all, they just hinder movement too much and end up being frustrating (in most games) as you can only move in a single direction, usually have no means of defending yourself, cannot jump (apart from jumping off), create a choke point, etc.
Have you tried my original version? or watched the videos? You can't really defend yourself in The Collector anyway, but then you can't die. You are just knocked down for a few seconds. Could still be a bit of a choke point, but we'll have to see.

What I don't think I mentioned before (it's certainly not in this thread), is that there will be teleporters around the map too, so you are not totally restricted to the ladders/staircase anyway

Back