Excessive Closing Of Topics

belthos

Still Fresh
I read here often, and occasionally post when I feel the inclination.
I have noticed over the last year that the number of current posts has diminished.
The biggest reason I see is an over abundance of moderators who close topics for little or no reason almost as if they are afraid that anyone who isn't saying something glowing about the product that we have all kept faith with after having pre-paid for our units a year ago the topic is locked.

I've seen one or two topics worthy of closing but not many.

Does it really matter if the topic has been covered at some prior time in the last year? I'd prefer open interest and discussion to some pedantic concern about which topic a comment is filed under.

I'm still waiting patiently for my toy and expect it will justify my patience and interest.

Belthos

i think partially the same, at leas on the second thread that someone made to talk about the PM stuff, it didnt get answered and got closed prematurely.

but on the other hand, boards have gone 2 trolling these days so its not like every one should go happy smilling wait, but some are just way above being rude

There are a lot of closed topics about people complaining. They're all saying the same thing - we're not hearing enough from the dev team, I want my Pandora now, *whine whine*, etc. They get closed because they're totally unnecessary, not to mention that there are already two open topics ON THE FRONT PAGE covering the exact same gripes. On top of that, someone recently opened a new topic about how their first one was closed and they still had more to say, so they just opened a new topic and continued, not realizing that their topic was closed because their question was answered, and it was just going to descend into chaos and flaming. That got closed too.

The ironic thing is that this is probably going to get closed fairly quickly because it's going to just descend into a flame war as well.

P.S.: The reason that the number of "current" topics is decreasing is not because they're getting closed, but because there isn't that much to talk about - there hasn't been too much news lately due to the fact that things are in production, and we won't really get news about a process until it's complete.

belthos said:
I read here often, and occasionally post when I feel the inclination.
I have noticed over the last year that the number of current posts has diminished.
The biggest reason I see is an over abundance of moderators who close topics for little or no reason almost as if they are afraid that anyone who isn't saying something glowing about the product that we have all kept faith with after having pre-paid for our units a year ago the topic is locked.

I've seen one or two topics worthy of closing but not many.

Does it really matter if the topic has been covered at some prior time in the last year? I'd prefer open interest and discussion to some pedantic concern about which topic a comment is filed under.

I'm still waiting patiently for my toy and expect it will justify my patience and interest.

Belthos

This is something I'm realizing as well, but more so I'm finding posts moved or shutdown due to them being even the slightest bit off topic. Let's face it, there isn't much to say right now. We serious post checkers are here often and I for one don't mind hearing a joke or two, or seeing someone elaborate enough about something to overtake a post. Can we tone it down a notch while we wait? There's nothing that been sooo overposted or off-topic that it's been distracting in a while.

Last edited by a moderator:
I find the 'Where's my stuff that I paid you money for' threads entertaining. Especially the one with the poll showing that the vast majority of us will wait 'as long as it takes'. THAT one should have stayed open IMHO. It was enlightening to see that the gripe mongers are in such a minority.

Yes, we all wish we had the device 6 months ago. It is not a perfect world.

We're almost there people - the updates have been coming as regularly as there has been news to give updates on.

This thread will probably get locked - but just for the record, I think the OpenPandora team is doing a great job. NOBODY has EVER taken on an electronics project this advanced with so few people since Steve Jobs, Bill Gates and Linus Torvalds were still in their garage days and coding by the dim glow of a 40 column monochrome screen.

The progress has actually been quite spectacular. We all knew what we were getting into when we prepaid. If you didn't, then you have no-one to blame but yourself for not reading up on it.

Keep up the good work guys! We're all anxious for it to be done, but the majority of us want you to take the time to get it right!

OK, you can close this thread too now. :)

I've also noticed how when a new person asks a question they are told to search. Although when you are new you have no idea what the formatting is to get the search result you are looking for (most simple, natural searches yield no result). Then awhile back a new person asked a question and it was pointed out to them that the subject had been discussed many months ago and they shouldn't have posted a new topic. So the next new person who likely saw this discussion searched back and found the pertinent thread, posted and was yelled at for resurrecting an old thread. Honestly, the posting "rules" around here are, while not necessarily wrong, are way more strict than any board I have ever been on. The confusion about failed searches and when it's OK to bring up a subject versus reviving an old one etc. are just beyond me. Being a mod for a message board, all I an say is I am kinda glad we don't have 4000+ people using our forum all the time. The only time we have ever intervened and closed or removed a topic is when things became vulgar or threatening etc. Otherwise we let people say what they need to say, we feel having one big angry thread is better than 20 small closed angry threads.
I suspect however, then once we get our Pandora's in hand, things will calm down and be much less stressful, especially for the mods. Complaints will be few if any, and it will be back to the earlier days of some new person asking if they can run Windows 7 and run Crysis. :D

Poem58 said:
Then awhile back a new person asked a question and it was pointed out to them that the subject had been discussed many months ago and they shouldn't have posted a new topic. So the next new person who likely saw this discussion searched back and found the pertinent thread, posted and was yelled at for resurrecting an old thread.
yes, that person (excited.) should not have created a new topic, i tried doing a search myself of the term he wanted, and the question had been answered in that thread, it was very easy. he was yelled out for resurrecting the old thread because he didn't have a good reason to revive it. if he had some new information of importance, creating a new topic would have been okay, or at least that's what i think.

Poem58 said:
Honestly, the posting "rules" around here are, while not necessarily wrong, are way more strict than any board I have ever been on. The confusion about failed searches and when it's OK to bring up a subject versus reviving an old one etc. are just beyond me. Being a mod for a message board, all I an say is I am kinda glad we don't have 4000+ people using our forum all the time. The only time we have ever intervened and closed or removed a topic is when things became vulgar or threatening etc. Otherwise we let people say what they need to say, we feel having one big angry thread is better than 20 small closed angry threads.
I suspect however, then once we get our Pandora's in hand, things will calm down and be much less stressful, especially for the mods. Complaints will be few if any, and it will be back to the earlier days of some new person asking if they can run Windows 7 and run Crysis. :D
i actually think the rules on this forum are pretty lenient or at least mild compared to some other ones i browse. i believe it's judged on if the poster thought it through and how much effort they put in to spend five minutes searching.

Xian Long said:
i'm getting a weird sense of deja vu.
your not. This keeps happening like every two months. People embarrass themselves by complaining on the forums about the same thing other people have been complaining about. (the Pandora delays and not enough communication)
A mod locks some threads, then people start complaining about the excessive locking of threads. I'm sick of it honestly =P

You are absolutely correct, the search sucks.
Not only that, but it's impossible to search for something you don't completely understand, like, "Can I use $DEVICE on the Pandora?"

So I try to recommend Google searching with site:www.gp32x.de/board, and I answer their question anyway because it takes me just as long to give them the answer as it does to tell them to use the broken-ass search and then bring up an ancient thread.

lulzfish said:
Not only that, but it's impossible to search for something you don't completely understand, like, "Can I use $DEVICE on the Pandora?"

So I try to recommend Google searching with site:www.gp32x.de/board, and I answer their question anyway because it takes me just as long to give them the answer as it does to tell them to use the broken-ass search and then bring up an ancient thread.

Is there a way in google to get only results from pandora forums? I always end up with heaps of results from the other forums. Maybe my google-fu isn't strong enough, but if there is a way, I'd like to know.

Vorporeal said:
There are a lot of closed topics about people complaining. They're all saying the same thing - we're not hearing enough from the dev team, I want my Pandora now, *whine whine*, etc. They get closed because they're totally unnecessary, not to mention that there are already two open topics ON THE FRONT PAGE covering the exact same gripes. On top of that, someone recently opened a new topic about how their first one was closed and they still had more to say, so they just opened a new topic and continued, not realizing that their topic was closed because their question was answered, and it was just going to descend into chaos and flaming. That got closed too.

The ironic thing is that this is probably going to get closed fairly quickly because it's going to just descend into a flame war as well.

P.S.: The reason that the number of "current" topics is decreasing is not because they're getting closed, but because there isn't that much to talk about - there hasn't been too much news lately due to the fact that things are in production, and we won't really get news about a process until it's complete.

+1

There isn't much news at the moment. So there aren't many threads and many of the the treads there are retread old ground. We are at the point now where, there will not be anything new to say until we hear 'the Pandoras have finally shipped'. Then there will (I'm guessing) be a lot of threads covering a wide range of things good and bad about the Pandora.

As with all forums. you dont have a choice of what is closed or not. pm the closer or another mod to see if it was a genuine closure.
The mods and bosses here have the right to do what they want here as with all forums i fully support that.
whether you think its fair or not is nither here nor there.
other than that the only alternative is to just get on with your lives and move on to another topic. use the search option and use some common sense.

lulzfish said:

I have no problem whatsoever using the Forum's search function. The only limitation it has is by character, (Not letting you use terms that are 3 letters or less) and for that you've got Google.

B-ZaR said:
lulzfish said:

Is there a way in google to get only results from pandora forums? I always end up with heaps of results from the other forums. Maybe my google-fu isn't strong enough, but if there is a way, I'd like to know.

I bolded the part in his post that you quoted that tells you how to do just that.

-God Ginrai

Unfortunately, it doesn't. :/ If you try that, even if you add "Pandora" to your Google search terms, you get results from all of the other sections, because every GP32X forum page has Pandora in the title.

I am going to get my comments in quickly before this gets closed.

I think the close button should be completely removed from the board. Instead kick the people who cannot show proper conduct and stop punishing the rest of the minorities lack of manors.

Back