Excited About Getting A Gp2x (since '06ish), Just Have Some Questi

FarazParsa

Still Fresh
Website
www.farazparsa.tk
Well, I've been looking at the 2X since '06, and never really got into until I saw some of the amazing files and features it has. I just have a few questions about the system.

1. I live in Canada, and all the sites I visit tell me to get it from www.gp2x.co.uk . Should I? Is it worth it? I calculated costs to come out at about the following (taken from gp2x.co.uk):
$ 189.99 (Outside Europe) = $215 Canadian dollars for the value pack.
Is that the right price and does it include S&H? Is there somewhere where I can get a better deal? (Specially on 2gb SD cards. The ones on the site are EXPENSIVE!)

2. Simple. TV-OUT. Worth it?

3. Some things I'm definately hyped up about is playing one of my all-time favorite games, Duke Nukem 3D, and other games high up on the list like Super Metroid, DooM, Alien vs. Predator on MAME, QUAKE, Marathon, and a bunch more. How's gameplay on these?

4. Wolfenstein 3D. One of my favorite games. Source code is released, should run A-OK with no problems on the GP2X. Is there already a port?

5. Some of the videos I saw of the GP2X show a delay for SFX.. I also noticed that most of these were recorded with WMC/TV-OUT. Is that the reason or is that a fault in the port/hardware?

6. Where can I buy a good, working adapter?

7. I'm a paranoid guy, and I'm really cautious about stuff I own. I always walk around with my Sansa in my pocket. Any suggestions on security? (I know, I'm wierd :rolleyes: )

I know it's alot but thanks in advance for any answers. The one mostly on my mind right now is question one, so please get that answered ASAP. I'm also on a budget, so keep that in mind.

Duke3d is perfect... doom is perfect... I dont know which alien vs. predator your talking about but the cps2 runs a game by that name perfect... quake is perfect... wolf3d has been ported

*perfect might mean perfect with overclocking in some cases. Essentially you wont be dissapointed by anything I said was perfect.

As for the ever inmportant question 1, gp2x.co.uk is sort of known as the best store but gp2xstore.com has opened and they are also good and involved with everything. People might have given you that advice because sites like playasia sell a tons of products other then the gp2x so they cant really help you out if you have problems. Because of your location I would reccomend gp2xstore.com as it is the main distributor for north america and you will save money on shipping if you buy from there. They have had many positive things said about them and I believe the owner of the site also owned a reputable site that sold gp32's so you dont have to be afraid of there newness.

Wolf3D is available from http://sourceforge.net/projects/gp2xwolf3d

I'm the maintainer (butcherer maybe... ?) of the port, feedback is welcome and appreciated just don't be too mad if it takes me forever and a day to update it. I'm not really a coder, just somebody teaching themselves C by working on some projects.

Jackd posted on Feb 20 2007 at 02:18 AM said:
Duke3d is perfect... doom is perfect... I dont know which alien vs. predator your talking about but the cps2 runs a game by that name perfect... quake is perfect... wolf3d has been ported
I think I'm in love...

*perfect might mean perfect with overclocking in some cases. Essentially you wont be dissapointed by anything I said was perfect.
I'm a programmer myself, mate. ;)

As for the ever inmportant question 1, gp2x.co.uk is sort of known as the best store but gp2xstore.com has opened and they are also good and involved with everything. People might have given you that advice because sites like playasia sell a tons of products other then the gp2x so they cant really help you out if you have problems. Because of your location I would reccomend gp2xstore.com as it is the main distributor for north america and you will save money on shipping if you buy from there. They have had many positive things said about them and I believe the owner of the site also owned a reputable site that sold gp32's so you dont have to be afraid of there newness.
Thanks alot. They seem to be out of stock right now, but it doesn't really matter.

Comes out to about $244.99 Canadian (If it was in American currency), otherwise I'll wait for them to restock. Thanks again!

---------------------

Wolf3D is available from http://sourceforge.net/projects/gp2xwolf3d

I'm the maintainer (butcherer maybe... ?) of the port, feedback is welcome and appreciated just don't be too mad if it takes me forever and a day to update it. I'm not really a coder, just somebody teaching themselves C by working on some projects.
Thanks! It doesn't matter how much it lags, I'll still love it. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
The only reason for you to buy from Europe would be to buy a D-Pad premodded version from shop.gp2x.de, however that doesn't seem to be the case right now. Dynamism.com and GP2xstore.com sell in the US, and Gamersection.ca in Canada. I can't personally tell you how well they worked for me since I bought from the now defunct gp32z.com, but I have heard good things about them.

Yono posted on Feb 19 2007 at 09:03 PM said:
The only reason for you to buy from Europe would be to buy a D-Pad premodded version from shop.gp2x.de, however that doesn't seem to be the case right now. Dynamism.com and GP2xstore.com sell in the US, and Gamersection.ca in Canada. I can't personally tell you how well they worked for me since I bought from the now defunct gp32z.com, but I have heard good things about them.

GP2XStore is the same guy who ran gp32z.com apparently. I bought from GP32Z and had a good experience, so I'd recommend buying from them. There's also Dynamism, as stated above, but I can't vouch for them. Divineo also sells it, and their North American branch is based out of Quebec. I bought an M3 from them and had no problems. My pick would be gp2xstore.com, personally.

Faraz Parsa posted on Feb 20 2007 at 01:10 PM said:
5. Some of the videos I saw of the GP2X show a delay for SFX.. I also noticed that most of these were recorded with WMC/TV-OUT. Is that the reason or is that a fault in the port/hardware?
I have never experienced sound lag in homebrew, emus or ports, so I don't know what caused this. Maybe they encoded the video badly or were using early versions of the emulators. SNES in particular has come a long way recently.

As for TV out. I think it's worth it. Just not 100% compatible with every piece of software, but pretty compatible. It doesn't cause sound lag though.

imhotep posted on Feb 20 2007 at 05:41 AM said:
Faraz Parsa posted on Feb 20 2007 at 01:10 PM said:
I have never experienced sound lag in homebrew, emus or ports, so I don't know what caused this. Maybe they encoded the video badly or were using early versions of the emulators. SNES in particular has come a long way recently.
Yeah I thought so. It's probably Windows Media Center.

As for TV out. I think it's worth it. Just not 100% compatible with every piece of software, but pretty compatible. It doesn't cause sound lag though.
As long as I get to play some SFII with MAME on the big screen. :p

Some things I'm definately hyped up about is playing one of my all-time favorite games, Duke Nukem 3D, and other games high up on the list like Super Metroid, DooM, Alien vs. Predator on MAME, QUAKE, Marathon, and a bunch more. How's gameplay on these?
Duke 3D, Doom are fine. AvP is great on CPS2

4. Wolfenstein 3D. One of my favorite games. Source code is released, should run A-OK with no problems on the GP2X. Is there already a port?
I've been playing the port mentioned above. The speed is fine. The sound is a little funny - crackles a bit, breaks up, sometimes only in left channel. Believe it or not, it's not too distracting due to gameplay. The screen is slightly letterboxed to accomodate original 320x200 resolution. So short answer - very playable, but not perfect.

Some of the videos I saw of the GP2X show a delay for SFX.. I also noticed that most of these were recorded with WMC/TV-OUT. Is that the reason or is that a fault in the port/hardware?
That would be an emu-specific issue. But honestly, I've not experienced this. I would guess that what you saw was a problem with the videos not the 2x.
6. Where can I buy a good, working adapter?
Get it from the same store, same shipment. Be sure to get the US/Canada plug adapter. Worst case is you but one for $2 at radio shack. I don't know if I'd mess around with anything but the official adapter. I have it and it works.

...and if you don't get the official one, search for advice on these forums as some people have blown their machines up.

Faraz Parsa posted on Feb 20 2007 at 02:10 AM said:
1. I live in Canada, and all the sites I visit tell me to get it from www.gp2x.co.uk . Should I? Is it worth it? I calculated costs to come out at about the following (taken from gp2x.co.uk):
$ 189.99 (Outside Europe) = $215 Canadian dollars for the value pack.
Is that the right price and does it include S&H? Is there somewhere where I can get a better deal? (Specially on 2gb SD cards. The ones on the site are EXPENSIVE!)
I bought mine at www.gamersection.ca - in fact, I've bought a lot of stuff there, and they've always been great - a terrific Canadian webshop, imho...
2. Simple. TV-OUT. Worth it?!)
Dunno... I'm waiting to get a breakout board...
3. Some things I'm definately hyped up about is playing one of my all-time favorite games, Duke Nukem 3D, and other games high up on the list like Super Metroid, DooM, Alien vs. Predator on MAME, QUAKE, Marathon, and a bunch more. How's gameplay on these?!)
Okay, I haven't played Duke Nukem, but Super Metroid plays well, DooM is excellent, Alien vs. Predator on the CPS2 emu is perfect, and Quake is very good (but dark!)
4. Wolfenstein 3D. One of my favorite games. Source code is released, should run A-OK with no problems on the GP2X. Is there already a port?!)
Not that I've heard...
5. Some of the videos I saw of the GP2X show a delay for SFX.. I also noticed that most of these were recorded with WMC/TV-OUT. Is that the reason or is that a fault in the port/hardware?!)
dunno... the emu's aren't all perfect, tho'...
6. Where can I buy a good, working adapter?!)
I played it safe and bought the official GP2X adapter at at www.gamersection.ca when I bought my system...
7. I'm a paranoid guy, and I'm really cautious about stuff I own. I always walk around with my Sansa in my pocket. Any suggestions on security? (I know, I'm wierd :rolleyes: )!)
ya, don't shovel the driveway while trying to play games 'cause it'll probably land in the snow... Actually, I bought and installed the wrist strap, use of which has saved my GP2X from a couple falls already...
I know it's alot but thanks in advance for any answers. The one mostly on my mind right now is question one, so please get that answered ASAP. I'm also on a budget, so keep that in mind.!)
www.gamersection.ca - great guys, Canadian, give 'em a call...

jimid2 posted on Feb 21 2007 at 05:46 AM said:
4. Wolfenstein 3D. One of my favorite games. Source code is released, should run A-OK with no problems on the GP2X. Is there already a port?!)
Not that I've heard...
You heard wrong. From earlier in this thread:

Hooka posted on Feb 19 2007 at 07:23 PM said:

Ravnos posted on Feb 21 2007 at 04:25 PM said:
You heard wrong. From earlier in this thread:
How can not hearing anything be considered "hearing wrong"? :blink:

Thanks for the in-depth answer! I'm totally psyched about the 2X now and I'm placing an order ASAP. (I'm gonna save up about $80 more for extras like SD cards and stuff.)

Back