Extend Utils

Stuckie

Website
www.stuckieworld.net
Afternoon.

Seems there's been a hellova mess with Extend Utils usage, which I'm going to attempt to fix some of it today... or failing that, towards the end of July when I find some free time.

Effectively, there are two versions of Extend Utils being used... the "OldExtendUtils" package, and the newer configurable one that gives you preMount scripts, and has a huge amount of documentation that I wrote up on the Wiki.

The Old one was meant to have been phased out by now.. it's only still around as I haven't had time to go and wipe things off my server and clean up pages.
Here's the main reason why - the old one is a "black box" and if there's any problems with it, it's incredibly hard to fix. The newer one creates these preMount scripts, which do exactly what the old one does, but gives you it in script form so that you can run it whenever and wherever you want. And as the script is outside the "black box," it's more easily fixable if something goes wrong. You also only have a small amount of loop devices on your Pandora, and if a PND hiccups and fails to unmount, you lose one of these. If you use the Old Extend Utils, that PND stays active while you're in the system. Since it additionally mounts filesystems itself, that's another one or two that it's eating up - bringing a total of three loopback devices that are being chewed up before you even start.

Additionally, I had a bunch of proof of concept extends for various bits and pieces, showing off what you could do with the system.
I had Debian wrapped up in a prebuilt chroot, for example. This got quite a bit of use as well, and I further worked on it to be able to do crazy things like launch two X servers - one for Angstrom, one for Debian - and switch between them pretty convincingly. There's a Youtube video of me doing just that, and running Abuse from inside the Debian extend. This slowly morphed into running Debian from SD, and also from NAND.

Other things included Dev Extends. These were effectively prebuilt root overlays which had gcc et al already installed.
However, as the hot fixes started to roll out, these started to break as the libraries that had been overloaded in the extend became older than what ended up on the system. I did make a note of this on the original thread, however due to Extend Utils being an amalgamation of several dodgy hacks, there's three or four separate threads for the various things Extend Utils can do, so it no doubt got lost.

Therefore, this thread is going to act as the root of all evil.
This is the main Extend Utils thread, as of now.

So let's see what mess has happened and how to go about fixing it.

OS Extends
These are the chroot jails wrapped up in an extend file. I don't think anyone actually uses these, if you do, please post in here so I know I have to look into it and work on it. An alternative to this is Gregor's PanDebian - albeit his system does a debootstrap from scratch, whereas mine is more geared towards a prebuilt blob that's already been bootstrapped. So perhaps either a collaboration, or a complete drop of this from Extend Utils altogether is best.
Also, there are projects for running Debian, Arch, Gentoo and probably others from SD card anyway.. which means the OS Extends are just a neat hack any more.

Dev Extends
These are prebuilt root overlays.. and seem to have caused a lot of pain recently for some people.
The prebuilt nature of them mean that they really should be redone each Hotfix that comes out... as system libraries may end up out of sync ( which is what's happened ) and that's very dangerous as you end up with an unstable system at best. Granted, this is all locked away from NAND, but still.. it's frustrating!
Thinking about it, a Debian Lenny OS Extend would make a pretty nice dev environment, and should be binary compatible with our current Angstrom, so I may do that today.

Home/Root Extends ( or Overlays, whichever you prefer )
Nothing really needs to be done for these, as these start out empty anyway. I'll probably have another look to see if there's any extra folders that haven't been bound out of root.

Swap Extends
Never had an issue with these either, and I'm pretty sure there's other applications out there now that do the exact same thing.

I did have the following features that I've been meaning to add:
The ability to mount these things at boot time.
An actual proper GUI system.
Stackable mounts.

However, boot-time mounting turned out to be rather tricky and I haven't had much time to look into it. And by boot-time mounting, I mean literally spawning off to an Overlay as root gets mounted from uBoot.. you can mount _during_ boot already with the current Extend Utils, as you just need to call your preMount script in an init-rc script. However, this requires stackable mounts to work. I know how the theory behind it works, but I haven't actually tried it yet.. if the stackable mounts thing works, it means boot-time mounting is actually doable as it won't clobber the AUFS binds the PND system requires.
The GUI system has also stalled... I was using FLTK but it's actually a bit iffy, so I'm thinking on using GTK instead as it's guaranteed to be on board the Pandora, and means I can also stick a system tray icon on when an Extend is active, so you remember not to randomly rip the card out and stuff everything up! ;) I just haven't used GTK in a long while, so I need to learn it a bit again.

So, what I need from you kind people is the following:
If the wiki documentation is too overwhelming - TELL ME! How can it be improved? What's unclear?
If Extend Utils breaks or does something odd that you weren't expecting - TELL ME! Post in here so I can track it. I don't have a great deal of time any more to work on all my projects, so they all get the odd five minutes here and there ( yes, even GLESGAE only gets an odd five minutes now and then, which should be evident from how simple it still is! ) so I can't spend ages trawling two forums to find issues if they're not highlighted to me. Actually, can't really spend the time just trawling one of them.

Let's try and get this from dodgy hack status, to something that's a bit more usable and maintainable now :)
Of course, if people aren't using it any more, I can officially drop it, and concentrate my energies on something else.. so please let me know!

Debian Dev Extend

I've quickly (well, it's taken me all day, but still... ) put together a Debian-based development environment.
It's based off Lenny and is therefore pretty much library compatible with our Angstrom.

I'm going to guide you through setting up and using it now.

Files:
125mb - http://stuckiegamez.co.uk/apps/pandora/ExtendUtils/debian.lennydev.20110626.zip The Debian Dev Extend itself, it's dated 26th June 2011, and is based on Lenny. It'll extract to a 512mb file so ensure your card is bigger than 512mb to store it. There's about 130mb worth of space left for additional libraries, or you can pull down a 1gb Extend file and copy into that ( use cp -a oldExtend/* newExtend/ ) You can grab the bootstrap files here if you want them: 40mb - http://stuckiegamez.co.uk/apps/pandora/ExtendUtils/debian.lennydev.20110626.bootstrap.tar.bz2
350k - http://stuckiegamez.co.uk/apps/pandora/ExtendUtils/DebianDevExtend.pnd To get you started quickly, I created a custom preMount script and wrapped it in a PND file.
For the curious, the preMount script is as follows, and allows you to remove your SD card once you're finished.
Code:
if (zenity --question --text="Ensure your network is already connected if you want internet access.")
then
	zenity --info --text="Please select the extend file."
	devextend=$(zenity --file-selection --file-filter=*.extend);
	if [ -f $devextend ]
	then
		zenity --info --text="Now going to ask for your password to mount this file and perform some fix ups."
		mkdir /tmp/debextend
		gksudo "mount -o loop $devextend /tmp/debextend"
		gksudo "mount -t proc proc /tmp/debextend/proc"
		gksudo "mkdir /tmp/debextend/home/`whoami`"
		gksudo "mount --rbind /home/`whoami` /tmp/debextend/home/`whoami`"
		gksudo "cp /etc/resolv.conf /tmp/debextend/etc/resolv.conf"
		gksudo "xhost local:localhost"
		zenity --info --text="All done! Going to spawn a Terminal to your Debian Extend."
		terminal --disable-server -T "Debian Dev Extend" -e "sudo chroot /tmp/debextend sudo -u debian /bin/bash"
		zenity --info --text="Cleaning up, you'll be able to remove the SD card after this."
		gksudo "umount /tmp/debextend/proc"
		gksudo "umount /tmp/debextend/home/`whoami`"
		gksudo "umount /tmp/debextend"
	fi
fi

Unzip the extend and place it anywhere on your card.
Copy the PND to wherever you like that's accessible. There is no icon with this so, it'll likely look a bit poo.. feel free to make one if you like.
Run Debian Dev Extend.

You'll get a reminder to enable your internet connection now, otherwise you won't have internet access within the extend.
Then select where the extend file is.
Type your password to pass the sudo prompts.
You'll now be dumped to a Terminal... if you close this window, the system will clean up after you - assuming you haven't tried to mount things within the extend, in which case, you're on your own!

Testing the Environment.
I've included the Wake Breaker sources as a good test... we'll compile this and run it from Angstrom to test everything is running ok.
In your Debian Dev Extend terminal, we'll change to the debian home folder. cd /home/debian
We have a debian user as the first user so that our first user on Angstrom's ids match up and our user can access files and folders properly when we need to.
Change to the PandoraWakeBreaker_1.0.0 folder where the source lives.
Then just compile as normal with make.

Gotcha: We cannot run it from our Debian Dev Extend, as I specifically haven't provided any system integration. This is so we can cleanly unmount it and get on with something else afterwards. If you need this functionality, you're best going through the full ExtendUtils setup or customizing the above mount script.

Open up another Terminal.
Change to the actual folder structure we sit on: cd /tmp/debextend/home/debian/PandoraWakeBreaker_1.0.0
We should be able to run ./PandoraWakeBreaker.1.0.0.bin without any issues.

As a helper, I do link up your home folder in to the extend as well, under /home/$Username so you can access any code outside the system.
This also works with home extends ( though my quick testing of the old Extend Utils home extend on Hotfix 5 didn't actually seem to bind properly, so be wary if you're still using that ) so you can keep code elsewhere if need be.

If you need more things bound out, feel free to create your own mount script based on this simple one ( check the spoiler above for the code. )

This Extend contains the usual "bollocks" toolchain setup ( so that's GLES support, SDL, etc.. ) as well as libgtk+.
Adding new libraries is as simple as calling sudo apt-get install libwhatever-dev.
You'll be asked for the debian user's password, which is pandora.

If there are any issues, let me know.
I've been fiddling with this most of the day without much issue, and I quite like the fact that I can't run the applications from with the Debian chroot, as it makes sure that I have the libraries on my stock Angstrom install. That and I have access to all of Debian's tools.

-edit-
Fixing code tags... not sure how I missed them!

Sorry, I'm not around much on weekends (And decreasingly around in general as we approach twin-day :)

I still use your 'new extend utils' (with a bunch of premount scripts, though I still think the term 'premount' is a poor choice, just creating confusion; shoudl call it 'extend mount' script or 'stuckie mount' ;)

(aside .. I think you and another fellah (PanDebian) were working on various apprtoaches to booting Debian proper.. one was going through the full installer and taking hours, and the other was just a current build that coudl be installed to nand or SD IIRC .. I'm totally interested in the ready to use image and boot to a relatively current debian in nand or SD option, since its quick to set up and my time is brutal.. but I love Debian ;)

So any updates to Extends and so on, I'm totally interested in; the boards can sometimes be slow, but I wanted to chime in that I'm watching :)

jeff

Ahh.. well I had called it preMount as generally the scripts do a lot of weird stuff before it finally throws you into the final mount, so I thought the term would be appropriate. No idea why I didn't just call it extendMount like you suggest - much more obvious! ;)
Think the next version ( whenever that will be! ) will save out as extendMount instead, to alleviate the confusion a bit.

I haven't worked on Debian for a bit, mostly as I got a bit stuck in how to proceed to try and avoid the whole "install from bootstrap" which takes hours as you point out, but leaving it open enough so I don't have to manually hack in Pandora support. And I know it takes hours, as I'm the mug that usually does it to do the prebuilt versions ;) Ironically, the lack of time here actually worked in my favour, as I just started it off and left it running; checking on it a few times till it finished, to prod it some more for a bit before it goes off again for another few hours. Glad we have such a meaty battery!

My next block of free time should be coming up around the middle to end of July, so I might have a look at Debian again then, and hopefully when you regain some time yourself, I'll have Debian in a fully usable state to play with ;)

I'm eager to try this right now. Thank you very much!

For now, I updated its entry on the Pandorawiki software list:
http://pandorawiki.org/Software_projects

Looks like some links in mcobit's tutorial will need to be updated. :)

One potential cloud on the horizon: a final release of hotfix 6 will probably be here within a month (not earlier, because people have discovered some bugs with it), and I know that ED decided to change some of the libraries in it.

Last edited by a moderator:
ESN: As I am not planning to update these tutorials (I am using another method now), you could update them and post in your own thread if you like. will take down my tutorials then.

mcobit said:
ESN: As I am not planning to update these tutorials (I am using another method now), you could update them and post in your own thread if you like. will take down my tutorials then.
Please don't take them down yet. Once I confirm a proper working method, I'll try to write an update and perhaps make a page on the wiki.

Esn said:
One potential cloud on the horizon: a final release of hotfix 6 will probably be here within a month (not earlier, because people have discovered some bugs with it), and I know that ED decided to change some of the libraries in it.

That's why I cheated and created a Debian-based extend instead ;)
It won't be dependent upon opkg and underlying Angstrom bits and pieces this time so shouldn't break apart into a horrific mess as we get new hot fixes.

Least, that's the theory... time will tell!

Ok, so everything in this new Debian extend is located at /tmp/debextend. I guess I should not mount the old Home extend at the same time as this Debian extend is mounted? Would that break anything? Should I use the "home" directory inside /tmp/debextend/ for storing sourcecodes, etc. of programs that I want to port? 130mb seems enough for libraries, but not much room for storing software.
Again, sorry for the basic questions.

EDIT: I'm getting a message right when it opens a terminal window saying "sudo: unable to resolve host esn-openpandora". Is that normal? Also, my usual system password doesn't seem to work for any sudo commands. Is there some sort of different password here?

You can use your Home Extend without issue.. bind the Home Extend first ( and if you're still using the older Extend Utils, use "mount" to make sure it actually _is_ bound as I had issues when I was testing with it and it didn't always take, ) then run the Debian Extend so that when it binds to your home folder, it binds to the right one ;) Else it can be sneaky and bind to NAND instead as I found out!

Stuckie said:
You can use your Home Extend without issue.. bind the Home Extend first ( and if you're still using the older Extend Utils, use "mount" to make sure it actually _is_ bound as I had issues when I was testing with it and it didn't always take, ) then run the Debian Extend so that when it binds to your home folder, it binds to the right one ;) Else it can be sneaky and bind to NAND instead as I found out!
Hm, maybe the problem I just edited my prior post to mention is related to that. I mounted the debian extend first, then the Home. Will try it the other way around now.

EDIT: could you be a bit more specific on what you mean by "use mount", and how to find out whether it bound to the correct home directory? It's just that the two terminals that it mounts (one for the old Home, one for the debian extend) seem unconnected to each other. When I type "gcc", the debian one says "no input files" while the Home one doesn't recognize the command. Previously, both terminal windows (Dev and Home) would say "no input files".

The Debian Extend doesn't export anything into Angstrom.. so that Debian Extend Terminal that it calls up is the _only_ place that you can run your dev tools in.
This is to stop libraries getting mangled and other things from going awry.

And by "use mount" I mean literally run "mount" from an Angstrom terminal to see what has been mounted, and ensure an aufs bind to /home is in place.
The terminal that the old Extend Utils opens up is superfluous and you can ignore it, close it, or otherwise repurpose it.

The host problem you're getting is because you're not connected to the internet, you can safely ignore it if you don't want your Debian Extend to have internet access this session. I did mention ( and even popped up a reminder window ) that if you want internet access, you need to enable it before mounting ;)
Though you can do it manually by copying /etc/resolv.conf into the Debian Extend after you've connected if you don't want to restart the Extend. Either way, it's a harmless message.

-edit-
Didn't notice the sudo thing.
Yes, as I mentioned in the big guide above, your username is actually "debian" and the password "pandora"
This is so the guid stuff matches up properly and both Angstrom and Debian users can access the same files.

Hmm, the new debian extend PND should be linked on the wiki in "available files", maybe.

So, just to get confirmation, the proper way to first bind the Home Extend and then open the Debian extend is:
1. Open Extend Utils (from ExtendUtils.pnd), select "New Premount", choose "New Overlay Mount Script", choose "Standard Home Overlay", choose your Home Extend (if you don't have one yet, you should have clicked on "new extend/overlay/swap" before selecting "New Premount"), save the premount, then open Extend Utils again, select Mount Existing Premount, choose the premount you just saved.
2. Click on Debian Dev Extend (from DebianDevExtend.pnd), mount the debian extend.

EDIT: Sorry, I realize that that doesn't seem to be it. So... how do I "bind the Home Extend"? I searched for the word "bind" in the Pandorawiki article, and it's not used once.

That sounds about right.. though once you have the mount script, you can just call it manually from a terminal without having to jump back into Extend Utils. They are just bash scripts.

And it is linked on the Wiki under OS Extends as it's a full Debian chroot plus dev tools :)
Actually, I sneaked it on the Wiki first, and it was a bit silly of me as I found a couple of bugs while I was writing up the guide to post here ;) hopefully no-one grabbed it before the guide was up, but if anyone did and they have issues with sudo, you grabbed it too quick!

Anyway, another point.. because you now have a mount script, you could copy paste the Debian Extend mount script in the spoiler up above in the guide post, add it to your mount script at the bottom, and you've got one giant handy "mount home and dev" script that does everything in one go :)

Ok, I'm still doing something wrong. My steps:
1. Followed the instructions in the Creating a Root or Home Overlay PreMount section on the wiki.
2. Copied over some files I want to work on to the newly-created directory /tmp/1gb.overlay
3. Opened Debian Dev Extend, chose the new Debian extend
4. Terminal window spawned. I do a dir of the /home directory, and it has none of the files I placed into the 1gb one, so it must be the original one.
Code:
sudo: unable to resolve host esn-openpandora
esn-openpandora:/$ gcc
gcc: no input files
esn-openpandora:/$ cd /home
esn-openpandora:/home$ dir
debian	esn

Check mount to ensure that it's put the home overlay on properly, and post up the script file it spat out. ( or post up both if you're not sure what you're looking for in the mount spam. )
I would also manually check /home to see if the files you places on the overlay are there as well - as that'll be a sign of whether it's behaved itself or not.

I'll try find some time to rework my guide to include mounting a home overlay tonight, if I get in early enough.

-edit-
Actually, have some time to do it just now....

In the case of the mount info, you're looking for a line reading "aufs on /home type aufs ....."

Anyway, from the beginning!
Download Extend Utils and stick it somewhere in your pandora directory structure: http://stuckiegamez.co.uk/apps/pandora/ExtendUtils/ExtendUtils.pnd
Run it.
Select "New Extend/Overlay/Swap"
Select "New Overlay"
Select a size ( for my purposes, I'm just testing so 256mb ) .. if you select custom, prepare for a long wait.
Place the file on your SD card and give it a name, we shall call it "homeMount"... you don't need to add .overlay or .extend, as it does it for you.
It'll now either extract a premade empty file, or it'll DD a new file, taking forever, and probably raping your SD in the process.. you have been warned ;)
You'll be pushed back to the main menu now.

Select "New Pre-Mount"
Select "New Overlay Mount Script"
Select "Standard Home Overlay"
Choose your file that you saved on card in the previous stage.
Save the mount script anywhere you like, calling it anything you like.. for our purposes, on the SD card named "homeMount"
Back to the main menu.

Select "Mount Existing Pre-Mount"
Gotcha: As we've saved the script to a FAT32 filesystem, we can't actually run it directly from the Terminal. Normally, you can. You'll need to run it through Extend Utils or do /bin/bash /my/mount/script.preMount instead.
Choose the script you saved in the previous part.
Type your sudo password.
That should be it.

For checking purposes:
Launch a Terminal.
Type mount
Look for a line at the bottom reading something like "aufs on /home type aufs (rw, si=67199377)" The number may be different... I didn't look much into it.
Type cd /tmp/NAMEOFOVERLAY.overlay for our example; cd /tmp/homeMount.overlay
We'll put a random file here to ensure it works touch MyTestFile
ls should show it up, as should ls ~

Now, Launch Debian Dev Extend.
Ok past the notifictions.
Select your Extend file.
Type your sudo password if prompted ( you may be quick enough to still be in the sudo cache that it doesn't ask )
In the Debian Dev Extend terminal, type gcc to ensure that works.
Type cd to jump directly to your home folder, and ensure our test file is there ls which if it is, you're good to go.

And now I gotta run!
If there's any issues, just post and I'll try and help :)

--further edit--
I can't remember why I split the thing between extend and overlay... that's confusing.. I'll get rid of that next release. I think it was because of OS Extends and having compressed versions of them, but that was a bit advanced and I don't think anyone uses them.
If you do, shout out! or I'll be removing them! Extends ARE Overlays, just that my menu system allows you to generate compressed Extends but not compressed Overlays. If you use Compressed Extends for whatever reason, let me know :) See, your head's probably exploded already with me mention Extend and Overlays so often ;) they're the same thing.

Here's what shows up if I type in "mount" in the terminal spawned by the Debian Dev Extend pnd:

Code:
esn-openpandora:/tmp$ mount
rootfs on / type rootfs (rw)
ubi0:rootfs on / type ubifs (rw,bulk_read)
proc on /proc type proc (rw)
tmpfs on /mnt/.splash type tmpfs (rw,size=40k)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw)
none on /dev type tmpfs (rw,mode=755)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,gid=5,mode=620)
usbfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw)
tmpfs on /var/volatile type tmpfs (rw)
tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,mode=777)
tmpfs on /media/ram type tmpfs (rw)
ubi1:boot on /boot type ubifs (rw)
/dev/mmcblk0p1 on /media/mmcblk0p1 type vfat (rw,dirsync,noatime,fmask=0000,dmask=0000,allow_utime=0022,codepage=cp437,iocharset=iso8859-1)
/dev/loop0 on /mnt/pnd/rootextend type iso9660 (ro)
none on /mnt/utmp/rootextend type aufs (rw,si=645b9f77,noplink)
/dev/loop1 on /var/volatile/tmp/osextend type ext2 (rw,errors=continue)
none on /var/volatile/tmp/osextend/dev type tmpfs (rw,mode=755)
devpts on /var/volatile/tmp/osextend/dev/pts type devpts (rw,gid=5,mode=620)
tmpfs on /var/volatile/tmp/osextend/dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,mode=777)
proc on /var/volatile/tmp/osextend/proc type proc (rw)
usbfs on /var/volatile/tmp/osextend/proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw)
sysfs on /var/volatile/tmp/osextend/sys type sysfs (rw)
tmpfs on /var/volatile/tmp/osextend/tmp type tmpfs (rw)
/dev/loop1 on /var/volatile/tmp/osextend/tmp/osextend type ext2 (rw,errors=continue)
none on /var/volatile/tmp/osextend/tmp/osextend/dev type tmpfs (rw,mode=755)
devpts on /var/volatile/tmp/osextend/tmp/osextend/dev/pts type devpts (rw,gid=5,mode=620)
tmpfs on /var/volatile/tmp/osextend/tmp/osextend/dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,mode=777)
proc on /var/volatile/tmp/osextend/tmp/osextend/proc type proc (rw)
usbfs on /var/volatile/tmp/osextend/tmp/osextend/proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw)
sysfs on /var/volatile/tmp/osextend/tmp/osextend/sys type sysfs (rw)
tmpfs on /var/volatile/tmp/osextend/var/run type tmpfs (rw)
none on /var/volatile/tmp/osextend/var/lock type tmpfs (rw)
ubi0:rootfs on /var/volatile/tmp/osextend/lib/modules type ubifs (rw,bulk_read)
ubi0:rootfs on /var/volatile/tmp/osextend/Angstrom type ubifs (rw,bulk_read)
proc on /var/volatile/tmp/osextend/Angstrom/proc type proc (rw)
usbfs on /var/volatile/tmp/osextend/Angstrom/proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw)
tmpfs on /var/volatile/tmp/osextend/Angstrom/mnt/.splash type tmpfs (rw,size=40k)
sysfs on /var/volatile/tmp/osextend/Angstrom/sys type sysfs (rw)
none on /var/volatile/tmp/osextend/Angstrom/dev type tmpfs (rw,mode=755)
devpts on /var/volatile/tmp/osextend/Angstrom/dev/pts type devpts (rw,gid=5,mode=620)
tmpfs on /var/volatile/tmp/osextend/Angstrom/dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,mode=777)
tmpfs on /var/volatile/tmp/osextend/Angstrom/var/volatile type tmpfs (rw)
/dev/loop1 on /var/volatile/tmp/osextend/Angstrom/var/volatile/tmp/osextend type ext2 (rw,errors=continue)
none on /var/volatile/tmp/osextend/Angstrom/var/volatile/tmp/osextend/dev type tmpfs (rw,mode=755)
devpts on /var/volatile/tmp/osextend/Angstrom/var/volatile/tmp/osextend/dev/pts type devpts (rw,gid=5,mode=620)
tmpfs on /var/volatile/tmp/osextend/Angstrom/var/volatile/tmp/osextend/dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,mode=777)
proc on /var/volatile/tmp/osextend/Angstrom/var/volatile/tmp/osextend/proc type proc (rw)
usbfs on /var/volatile/tmp/osextend/Angstrom/var/volatile/tmp/osextend/proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw)
sysfs on /var/volatile/tmp/osextend/Angstrom/var/volatile/tmp/osextend/sys type sysfs (rw)
tmpfs on /var/volatile/tmp/osextend/Angstrom/var/volatile/tmp/osextend/tmp type tmpfs (rw)
/dev/loop1 on /var/volatile/tmp/osextend/Angstrom/var/volatile/tmp/osextend/tmp/osextend type ext2 (rw,errors=continue)
none on /var/volatile/tmp/osextend/Angstrom/var/volatile/tmp/osextend/tmp/osextend/dev type tmpfs (rw,mode=755)
devpts on /var/volatile/tmp/osextend/Angstrom/var/volatile/tmp/osextend/tmp/osextend/dev/pts type devpts (rw,gid=5,mode=620)
tmpfs on /var/volatile/tmp/osextend/Angstrom/var/volatile/tmp/osextend/tmp/osextend/dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,mode=777)
proc on /var/volatile/tmp/osextend/Angstrom/var/volatile/tmp/osextend/tmp/osextend/proc type proc (rw)
usbfs on /var/volatile/tmp/osextend/Angstrom/var/volatile/tmp/osextend/tmp/osextend/proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw)
sysfs on /var/volatile/tmp/osextend/Angstrom/var/volatile/tmp/osextend/tmp/osextend/sys type sysfs (rw)
tmpfs on /var/volatile/tmp/osextend/Angstrom/var/volatile/tmp/osextend/var/run type tmpfs (rw)
none on /var/volatile/tmp/osextend/Angstrom/var/volatile/tmp/osextend/var/lock type tmpfs (rw)

Also, in case it's of any use, here's what shows up if I type in "mount" in a normal terminal window launched outside the Debian extend:
Code:
esn-openpandora:~$ mount
rootfs on / type rootfs (rw)
ubi0:rootfs on / type ubifs (rw,bulk_read)
proc on /proc type proc (rw)
tmpfs on /mnt/.splash type tmpfs (rw,size=40k)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw)
none on /dev type tmpfs (rw,mode=755)
/dev/mmcblk1p1 on /media/PANDORABOOT type vfat (rw,dirsync,noatime,fmask=0000,dmask=0000,allow_utime=0022,codepage=cp437,iocharset=iso8859-1)
/dev/mmcblk0p1 on /media/mmcblk0p1 type vfat (rw,dirsync,noatime,fmask=0000,dmask=0000,allow_utime=0022,codepage=cp437,iocharset=iso8859-1)
/dev/mmcblk1p3 on /media/PANDORAROOT type ext3 (rw,dirsync,noatime,errors=continue,data=ordered)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,gid=5,mode=620)
usbfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw)
tmpfs on /var/volatile type tmpfs (rw)
tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,mode=777)
tmpfs on /media/ram type tmpfs (rw)
ubi1:boot on /boot type ubifs (rw)
/dev/loop1 on /mnt/utmp/links type squashfs (ro)
none on /mnt/utmp/links type aufs (rw,si=6ffbcf37,noplink)
/dev/loop2 on /mnt/utmp/extendutils type iso9660 (ro)
none on /mnt/utmp/extendutils type aufs (rw,si=6c205177,noplink)
/dev/loop3 on /var/volatile/tmp/1gb.overlay type ext2 (rw,errors=continue)
aufs on /home type aufs (rw,si=64e0e677)
/dev/loop4 on /mnt/utmp/DebianDevExtend type iso9660 (ro)
none on /mnt/utmp/DebianDevExtend type aufs (rw,si=64c7f837,noplink)
/dev/loop5 on /var/volatile/tmp/debextend type ext2 (rw,errors=continue)
proc on /var/volatile/tmp/debextend/proc type proc (rw)
aufs on /var/volatile/tmp/debextend/home/esn type aufs (rw,si=64e0e677)
/dev/loop0 on /mnt/utmp/midori type squashfs (ro)
none on /mnt/utmp/midori type aufs (rw,si=61e1d477,noplink)

Esn said:
Here's what shows up if I type in "mount" in the terminal spawned by the Debian Dev Extend pnd:

Oops, there's a bug... anyway, don't use "mount" in the Debian Dev Extend as it doesn't know what your base system is currently mounted.
That spam is from my testing it with the Old Extend Utils, which erroneously copied my mtab in, so it thinks your mount stuff is what I had mounted at the time ;)

Try it from an Angstrom terminal.
Also, I just posted a guide above you in my edited post, so try that too :)

Ok, I edited my previous post to add in what appears if I type in "mount" from an Angstrom terminal. Thanks for the tutorial, I'll try to do things correctly this time. :)

You probably weren't far from it.. it's just a tad fiddly still.
I'm trying to figure out how people use the system ( whoever still does! ) so I can code up "wizards" to help run through it.

As well as tidy it up and get rid of confusing stuff like Extends vs Overlays, and preMount instead of extendMount.
I disappeared into work madness not long after releasing this version, so lots of niggles went uncaught. That and I had left the older version up, so that tended to be used instead, and I didn't really find out about most of these oddities. I shall be fixing all this now.. streamlining it and trying to bulletproof some of it so that maybe, just maybe, it might end up on the Repo as something useful ;)

And now I'm late.. oops.. oh well, hope that works for you!
Please post one way or another if it does or not :)

Back