Pandora Extended Utils on Pandora

alephhat

Still Fresh
I was looking on this page: http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/54651-debian-in-an-extend/

What I am not understanding is why is it that by gaining access to synaptic package manager that its contents also function. My understanding is that the reason many applications and games cannot be ported to the Pandora is due to it being ARM as opposed to x86... Does Debian have an ARM distribution and what is accessed is that or is it something else?

The reason I ask is that having access to a solid repository and some more familiar software (ekiga, open office, etc..) would be great, and further, if that is the case why not just have a dirtibution of Debian running instead of Angstrom at that rate. I have heard of a few people working on Ubuntu and such- I'm trying to understand how using Debian/ Ubuntu/ etc... from the get go isn't just the superior option right off? It's nice for the gamers to have an "easy" interface, but I would prefer just having a straight desktop with all the fixin's and a repository with familiar software- putting me right in between the casual user and the more andvanced one lol

I have only recently switched to linux through Ubuntu so I am still yet a bit puzzled by some things lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Most distros have an ARM ( or armel, to be exact ) port that we can use - such as Debian, Arch, Ubuntu, etc.. - so that's what I'm grabbing in that manner.

Most desktop-based distros are also rather heavy for the Pandora. I have been having success in getting Debian running, but your mileage obviously varies wildly as to how usable it is as it's not optimised specific for our Pandora; whereas Angstrom is due to it's whole bitbake mechanism ( everything on NAND is compiled specifically for the Pandora whereas Debian, for example, build as generic as possible. )

Also, you could've posted there so I could've replied quicker and noticed it easier :p

Was just luck that I logged in here and saw it in the recent topics part on the front page!

I do reply, you know :p

Most distros have an ARM ( or armel, to be exact ) port that we can use - such as Debian, Arch, Ubuntu, etc.. - so that's what I'm grabbing in that manner.

Most desktop-based distros are also rather heavy for the Pandora. I have been having success in getting Debian running, but your mileage obviously varies wildly as to how usable it is as it's not optimised specific for our Pandora; whereas Angstrom is due to it's whole bitbake mechanism ( everything on NAND is compiled specifically for the Pandora whereas Debian, for example, build as generic as possible. )

Also, you could've posted there so I could've replied quicker and noticed it easier :p

Was just luck that I logged in here and saw it in the recent topics part on the front page!

I do reply, you know :p

Yeah, i thought about it... I haven't posted on that board yet otherwise I would have. Thanks for the reply though!

Back