External Harddrive Advice

spray

PSP pwner
Website
Visit site
My new 8mb net connection is beggining to take its tole on my hard drive, mostly in the form of tv shows!

i'm looking to get an external harddrive to store these on (plus a few other bits and bobs).

Basically, is a usb2 device the best thing to go for? would a network drive suit me better?

cheers for any advice

if it haves to be external i would just buy a normal harddrive + a usb2 case, but i dont see any point in external drives.

I use an external drive for backup reasons and find them very useful. Not point in having them spinning all the time inside the case, it just creates needless heat and noise pollution.

I'm gonna be looking into one of these pretty soon too. I need one for all my video editing stuff

I thought I should just counter that with the fact that I bought a Maxtor 160gb hdd last year and not only was it louder than my CPU (by a great measure), but it also crashed 3 months after I bought it. Broke. Completely. Wouldn't do anything, at all. Nothing. I bought it because it was cheap -- DAMN I wish I had spent the extra $30 and got the Western Digital one instead.

I just found a WD hard drive in my closet the other day. It's three years old. It works perfectly -- I don't know why it ever left my computer in the first place. Now it sits in my tower with my other WD hard drive ;)

I've had 2 external hard drives. One USB 2.0 and one Firewire. The firewire I took out the hard drive and put inside a computer but the USB 2.0 I have connected right now. The 2.0 is a simpletech from sam's club with 160 gb of space. I use it to store mp3s and Music videos and pictures. If you are going to be watching TV shows you can usually fit it on a dvd, like rico said. I know I burn all my shows to dvd. You'll probably run out of hard drive space if you keep them on the Hard drive. For huge data storage bigger than 4.7 gb use that is portable and you can hook up to friend's PCs and Macs use an external HDD They are super!.

point taken rico, say what you will about lost and the o.c., but arrested development is quality entertainment.

the main use for hard drive will be for PSP games, just wanted to avoid shouts of omg!!!1111 warez, whilst i guess these could also be burnt to DVD i'd prefer for them to be on a hard drive so i can easily access them all and whack it straight onto my memory stick. whilst it would be just a minor annoyance to have to browse a few dvds i'm fusy ok.

however this presents further problems as if games needing fw2 are not hacked to play with an iso loader, my days of pirating psp games may soon be over, thus eliminating the need for storage of games i can't play!

If you are planning to plug this into a laptop i'd avoid bus powered drives, most laptop usb ports don't have sufficient power to drive them and you end up using another usb port just for the power lead.

Interesting point to mention, even though firewire drives are faster on paper, in realworld use the usb ones actually go faster.

Both my external drives are from Lacie, the 2.5" 100GB bus powered one goes everywhere with me, its just like a giant usb memory stick, the 3.5" 250GB firewire one stays at home holding all my mp3's.

Back