External speakers - WiFi - advice needed

Fzero

Advanced Member
My current home viewing setup consists mainly of;

- Projector
- Shield TV [for watching telly/films]
- PC [or Steam gaming mainly]

I need speakers though, and not sure what to do.
The projector only has a 3.5mm audio output, for headphones or little portable speakers I guess?
I would like something with a bit of bass, and like the idea of those soundbars.
Something like this one: http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5608373.htm#pdpFullDesc
Which mentions 'wireless woofer', but I'm not sure how the main soundbar connects...

But do they exist which are connected to source over WiFi?
I'm guessing that's what I would need, so that I can get both sources, Shield TV an my PC, to output audio to it.

Or if I will have to get something like Turtle Beach Audio Advantage, which I see this guy using on his Shield.
...In which case, then I'd probably need some split too so can also hook up the gaming PC..?

Anyone clued up with this type of stuff?

3.5mm headphone jacks can easily be connected to the input of an audio power amplifier to drive speakers of pretty much any size you like.
Although wires carrying an analogue signal may, in some cases, be a little untidy, they have the following advantages.
  1. Wires never stutter or drop out in response to interference
  2. Wires work exactly the same way they did 50 years ago. so equipment has a very long usable life. I'm still using a *transistorised, solid-state!* audio amp from the 1970s.
You can also buy audio amplifiers and speakers packaged as one unit, if space is a concern.
Getting audio to work reliably over wifi sounds like far more trouble than its worth, in my opinion.

You local second-hand shop may well be able to sell you an audio amplifier and some proper speakers for an astonishingly low price.

You might have to buy one of these (the forum keeps mangling my link, so code'd)
Code:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/3-5mm-stereo-Phono-Sockets-length/dp/B000Q8KSS0/ref=pd_sim_107_2/255-6685762-6866603?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=DZT8W3JQRV4MJ992MRGZ
(available from any good toyshop)

+1 for cabled audio
it's easy to setup, sounds great, has the best 'bang for the buck' and is awesome since a lot of years now.
just make sure to get quality parts, good cables anf you're golden.
and the best thing, it's wireless from the speakers to your ears, too! ;)

so a k.i.s.s. setup would be:
a good oldschool amp with several inputs, so you can switch between tv and pc, maybe a bit newer one with remote-control comes handy.
good cables, nice speakers.

Cheers guys, I'll take a look into some of these options over the weekend when I get time, and hopefully have something better sounding by next week

Yeah,I tend to go overkill on my setups... I have HDMI switching/ multiplexing 4 inputs to 2 outputs. I like surround sound in my home theater setup so that adds complexity. I have pretty much everything ceiling mounted near my project sans my receiver.

Bose has good speakers, I think you can opt something interesting...I like soundtouch 10;)

Went with a wired solution to my projector, but has Bluetooth too so can zap music to it from my phone as well.
I just picked up the KitSound Boom Evolution, it sounds good so happy with that choice. Got it cheap at 25 quid as well

Went with a wired solution to my projector, but has Bluetooth too so can zap music to it from my phone as well.
I just picked up the KitSound Boom Evolution, it sounds good so happy with that choice. Got it cheap at 25 quid as well

Not bad choice!

Back