Extra Headphone Jack On The Side

Should there be and extra headphone jack on the side?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

LevelPlane

Still Fresh
I think there should be an extra headphone jack on the side for those who wish to use the Pandora as their primary MP3 player. This allows for it to easily be in your pocket without the cord jabbing into the sides of your pocket. An Mp3 player is something I would use it for *if* it had this. The key-shape connector can still stay where it is for those who use headphones while playing games.

icurafu said:
I voted no because I don't want two headphone ports. But i wouldn't mind if it was only located on the side like you requested.
I voted no because I don't want pandora to be delayed. If the change you inquire is easy to implement - then yes, it's a nice idea.

Last edited by a moderator:
This was something I had considered too because I like the music player aspect. It was just one of the ideas thrown around in the past. In order for it to work with the electrical connections set up in place, it would be important to realize that both ports could not work at the same time. The port on the front has priority over the secondary port and either port mutes the internal speakers.

I'm not saying it will be done but this is just a qualification for this poll as it relates to Pandora hardware. Carry on..... :)

Whatever you do please don't have the only one on the side, that'd completely screw up the thing for me.

i think with a 90 degree plug it's not really an issue. on the other hand, if the only jack is on the side, it might make gaming painful.

With an angled 90 degree plug what side the jack is on is pretty irrelevant. I don't have any headphones WITHOUT such a plug....

Should there be and extra headphone jack on the side?

No, I don't think that's necessary, one is enough. But I wouldn't mind if it was located on the side either.

//The following comment was written by someone who hasn't slept since a very long time
I voted yes and I believe the both jacks can be smarter than ordinary jacks (like in current mother boards) and recognize whether it is a headset or an external speaker (or maybe even set of speakers) to have 4.1 surround sound through using both jacks.

Voted no, but at the same time, I'd not be too put out so long as it were an addition (as opposed to a replacement), and of course didn't add delays or price issues...

Voted yes. I like the idea and if MWeston can add this without sacrificing anything, who could be against this idea?

Ive suggested this a while ago to because My earphones don't have an 90° plug. For Vertical usage (music Player) an additional jack would be useful, especially for using the Pandora in Pockets. I know from the GP2X that a headphone jack at the long sides of the device are very annoying.

MWeston said:
This was something I had considered too because I like the music player aspect. It was just one of the ideas thrown around in the past. In order for it to work with the electrical connections set up in place, it would be important to realize that both ports could not work at the same time. The port on the front has priority over the secondary port and either port mutes the internal speakers.

I'm not saying it will be done but this is just a qualification for this poll as it relates to Pandora hardware. Carry on..... :)
If you keep the current design with just one Headphone Jack, maybe you could place the thing near the edges of the device so the Earphone plug stays out of the Pocket:

unbenannt1ws3.gif

Best compromise I think.

Off the top, 'No'. Extra parts plus extra cost on an already pricey item that would provide no extra functionality.

Do you possess any actual knowledge the plug will be inconveniently positioned because you have a full size mock up in your pocket or do you just assume it will be?

Can't you guys buy 90 degree adapters? Quick check on froogle shows they cost a few dollars.

As far as adaptor/ers go, the more you add, the more you degrade the quality of the data passing through them. Not that it's likely a huge issue for mp3 sound, but it's worth mentioning.

My Klipsch Custom 1 buds have a 90-degree connector, which, like someone else said, makes the whole issue kind of irrelevant to me. It's even more irrelevant considering that I have a media player already that I intend to continue using for as long as I am able to plan ahead (so about five minutes ^_^ )

The OMAP3 has AC97 software audio, IIRC. You're not going to get crystal clear or powerful audio out of it in all likelihood... this is not an iPod or a high-end PC sound card. If you have ever used onboard PC sound it will probably be very similar to that albeit with less high frequency bus noise.... just buy an adapter :)

EDIT: on second thought it actually looks, from TI's block diagram, like OMAP3 requires an external IC for audio playback. So something pretty robust could be chosen. But I really doubt that super-high quality audio reproduction is a primary aim off the device. It would be nice to see a decent one chosen for a $300+ device though, especially since I'd like to stop having to carry my iPod with the decaying battery.

Exophase said:
Can't you guys buy 90 degree adapters? Quick check on froogle shows they cost a few dollars.
A good device should work with standard components and no adapters. ;) Adapters also could get LOST. I don't remember an "thing that is also able to play Musik from into the pocket" where you need an Adapter to use it in a pocket...
...Ok, the GBA (SP) needs an Adapter to use a Headphone but the GBA is not supposed for Musik play. :lol:

Well, I think the Designers will find an solution to make the Pandora Pocket-save. :) Placing the Jack at the place I suggested shouldn't cost any cent.

Back