F-day

KickinWing

Arguable Idiot
Website
Visit site
With the up and coming F-Day and 13 emulators to be released that are supposed to be very good. What would be left for the GP32 emulation wise? If these emulators are as good as expected, i don't think there would be any incentive or reason to code new emulators, i just think that F-Day not only means we will get many great emulators, but will mark the end of emulators on the GP32.

Unless there are some systems i'm missing, i'm pretty sure the GP32 has/will have very good emulators for every possible system to be emulated.

Well for one Reesy is still planning on doing one or two more emu's for the GP, DrSMS and possibly a PC Engine emu, maybe based on Flubba's Pocket PCE for GBA.

Squidge, the original devver of GP Engine, was also working on another PC Engine emu he had to start from scratch, though it's been some time since we've heard any news about that, he still does frequent the boards pretty regularly, so I assume he's still 'in the scene' and still working on this emu.

There is of course, always the slim hope that someone will continue work on the SNES emu... who knows maybe someday they'll get it running good with sound and low frameskip.

Then there's MAME of course, on which the surface of has barely been scratched, and no one really knows just how far this can be taken on the GP... Franxis' port was good and impressed a lot of people, and now Ryleh's port sounds like it might be even better... so there is probably lots of room to grow there.

Personally I'm surprised no one has tried to get a x68000 computer emulator running on the GP... graphically that was around Mega Drive/SNES quality... not sure HOW powerful exactly, but I know it had some good games.

Then there's still WonderSwan and Lynx presumably still being worked on....

I think the emulation scene on the GP is far from dead...

And MS-DOS emulation is also missing, although I dont see many exciting reasons for doing so.

Neo Geo Pocket too. And Amiga maybe? And anyway, I don't think it would be a bad thing if/when it comes to the stage where all emus are perfect or as perfect as is possible! :) It may also encourage people to look more into trying out some of the great homebrew games too (as in non-emu based).

Edit: - Doh! I'm a slow typer!!

Amiga! :lol:

Johndifo posted on May 23 2005 at 02:47 PM said:
And MS-DOS emulation is also missing, although I dont see many exciting reasons for doing so.
LOL !!! ROFL !!! Oh my gosh, DOS emulation !!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
There´d be a thousand reasons why DOS emulation would own. But even considering it to be possible is retarded. DOS emulation is even close to emulating Dreamcast, it is very hard to implement all those drivers and commands (because you wold also need a ix86 core emulator), morever emulating a CISC Processor on a RISC is extremely slow, so ther´s no portable device (except for PoPC) with DOS emulation, and i think it will be a while ´til we see one.
You may also want to check out this discussion !!!

Last edited by a moderator:
i'm basing this on that Rylehs emus will be, very good as always, so the NeoGeo pocket is already part of his 13,

honestly i forgot about the wonderswan and Mame, shame on me. But it just seems that the list is getting very slim.

EDIT: as for Lynx, i already think that is very good on the GP32. And this thread is not about updating emus that we have already but new emulators all together.

Watara Supervision :blink:

Isnt there a Dos version for MSX and Atari ST? I'm sure Atari ST is RISC based. I've loaded it before and got a dos prompt on GP32 through Castaway but you can't run anything though.

Just an FYI, I don't think Squidge had anything to do with GPEngine. That was Black's emu if memory serves.

I may work on a vic20 emu time permitting.. Spiders from Mars baby :)

jeff

You seems to consider each emulator as a new game. I think that's not. Emulation is a tool, to play other games. Well, i don't teach you anything saying that, but considering emulation as a challenge shoul'd be better.

Look. The goal is: Emulation fullspeed woth sound f/s 1~3.

Well, if we won't reach the goal for many of them (GBA...), we can approach this level (look at DrMD, nobody could believe that...). That's the Reesy's goal: give us an emulation nearly perfect.

Don't forget that SNES, MD, GB/C, NES, Atari ST, WS, NGPC, PCE, SMS... represent some hours and hours of game !

[RPG fan mode on]
Chrono Trigger at bed... %)
[RPG fan mode of]

skeezix posted on May 23 2005 at 03:31 PM said:
I may work on a vic20 emu time permitting.. Spiders from Mars baby :)

If you need any encouragement, Skeezix, consider yourself encouraged - I'd love to have a game of Starship Escape on the GP32! Blue Meanies would be pretty cool too, although I'm not sure how you'd control it!

It's sad that a update to Osnes9x hasn't been produced, or that someone else hasn't picked it up and ran with it with a beta release based on the old source. Too bad, because Snes emulation is the one big one that the GP32 is missing(out of systems that are possible to emulate). If some could just fix the sound in Osnes9x, and maybe enough speed to drop 1-2 FS off, it would be near perfect IMO.

bast525 posted on May 23 2005 at 03:43 PM said:
Then there's still WonderSwan and Lynx presumably still being worked on....

Just to note that wonderswan is among the Rlyeh emulators :)

And for Osnes9x... yes, too bad no one is working on it, with "little" optimisation (hard work on sound..) and transparencies, it would be exellent ^^ Just see how fine some games run on Osnes9xgp 0.2!
but if you went on the Yoyo fr official stuff forum, he didn't said that, he will never work again on gp32 (can I put the link? http://yoyofr.proboards44.com/index.cgi?bo...&num=1106315479 )
(mmhh... it seems (not to play the spy on this forum) that Reesy recompiled Osnes9xGp.. maybe.... ? noo....)

:rolleyes:

And almost forgot... DrSms will be great :D (if some of you tried it on gba, it's incredible..)

I'm still here, but I'm not working on any gp32 stuff at the moment, simply due to the fact that my gp32 is toasted at the moment from a slight accident :(

Squidge posted on May 23 2005 at 04:49 PM said:
I'm still here, but I'm not working on any gp32 stuff at the moment, simply due to the fact that my gp32 is toasted at the moment from a slight accident :(
was a pencil involved?

Back