F100 Or F200? Any Real Difference...

CFBLIVESHERE

Still Fresh
I am finally going to break down and purchase a GP2X. The question I have is which of the models should I spring for? The F100 or F200?

The place I am going to buy it from only has F100's used but in refurbished conditions. The F200 will be brand spanking new out of the box. Besides the touch screen what is the difference? Is one more powerful than the other or are they almost the same system?

The price difference between the two is about 80 bucks. So should I save my 80 and just get the older model or get the brand new model?

CFBLIVESHERE said:
I am finally going to break down and purchase a GP2X. The question I have is which of the models should I spring for? The F100 or F200?

The place I am going to buy it from only has F100's used but in refurbished conditions. The F200 will be brand spanking new out of the box. Besides the touch screen what is the difference? Is one more powerful than the other or are they almost the same system?

The price difference between the two is about 80 bucks. So should I save my 80 and just get the older model or get the brand new model?
Same system effectively, the F200 has a touchscreen (better for ScummVM) and D-pad (not a proper one), other than that, they're identical, apart from the lack of USB network on the F200.

See this thread:
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showt...mp;#entry597079

Last edited by a moderator:
The joystick on the F100 is utter crap and will probably break on you within a couple of months. I haven't got a F200 but the joypad has to better than the F100 joystick.

The F200 one is pretty decent if you stick a PSP d-pad cover on it to join the buttons.

Reesy said:
The joystick on the F100 is utter crap and will probably break on you within a couple of months. I haven't got a F200 but the joypad has to better than the F100 joystick.
Mine hasn't broken (F100 mk2) :p ...
If you're going to dev, probably best to get the F100 (supports usb network) else get the F200 as you get the touchscreen and (apparently) a better controller ;)
Then again it's your money and there's plenty of info on this forum....
BTW the processor is the same - dunno if you're guaranteed a better overclock with an F200 though..?

Last edited by a moderator:
Funny you mention the overclocking, kevcal. I just bought a new f200 a few weeks ago to replace my f100 first edition's stick that finally went the way of the dinosaur after this long. My original f100 was capable of overclocking to around 280-290 before getting wonky, but my f200 will hit barely over 250-260. Still, I have to say that the "d-pad" is a hell of a lot better than the original stick, which even the most steadfast GP2X supporter (myself included) will tell you was utter shite. As far as the touchscreen is concerned I really haven't seen anything too impressive for it yet, especially since the 4.00 and up firmware effectively broke it for homebrew. I guess we'll see about that. Personally I would go for the f200. Might as well be up with the times, and have a decent controller. I actually like the "d-pad" on the f200, so all is well.

p B)

edit: I should note, for the record, that my experience with the overclocking speeds of the two models isn't necessarily typical. From what I've read those numbers have been all over the board for just about everyone. Just because my f200 won't OC that high, doesn't mean that yours won't. Course it doesn't mean it will either... Personally I don't find my 250-260 OC a problem. Everything I want to play (MAME, NES, SNES, GENESIS, Cave Story, etc... ) works just fine.

My F100 mk2 generally only overclocks to 250 (you can squeeze a little more out depending on software).. but I rarely oc past 240 anyway - and that's rare - most things are fine at 200 nowadays.
Personally I have no problems with the joystick but understand some gamers prefer d-pads et al.
Problem at the moment is that GPH are their own worst enemy releasing buggy firmware upgrades for the F200.. :(

Not to completely contradict my last post but I guess I did get used to the original f100 stick after a while, and even dicked about with making my own knobs for it, such as a red ball knob like on a Ms. Pacman machine from a red plastic bee-bee. It wasn't unusable but it wasn't real good either. Personally I love the D-Pad on the f200 model and have had no problems with doing fighting game type moves with it, though truth be told, I was always more into the MK series than the Street Fighters and with MK the moves are less roll and more multi-bash.

... but I digress...

p B)

Back