Fallout 1 (and probably 2 and 1.5) on the Pandora

ElPoco

Hardcore Member
Hi all,

A few months ago, ptitSeb released a Fallout 1 pnd that used dosbox. While playable, it wasn't very smooth and I couldn't imagine playing the whole game this way.
Recently, Exagear released an update that was supposed to improve game performance. I had only quickly tried Fallout 1 with Exagear before but didn't give it too much time because the fade-out/fade-in transitions were horribly slow, while the rest of the game still felt not that smooth.

I tried again with the latest version of Exagear, the standard windows version of Fallout still suffers from the same problems, but when looking at the configuration files for the High-res version, I noticed that you could change the duration of the fade effects. I changed the settings to use the 640*480 resolution (it didn't seem to like it when I tried 800*480), DirectDraw instead of DirectX 9 (not sure if that changes a lot) and reduced the fade duration to 0.

And then it worked smoothly. There are still a few hiccups here and there, but I can now imagine playing the full game on the Pandora. I'll check out Fallout 2 as well, in the hope of being able to play the recently released "Fallout 1.5" and keep you posted of the results.

(TLDR: Fallout 1 works fine on the Pandora with Exagear and some config file tweaking)

I'm vaguely wondering how this performs with your config changes through dosbox, for those of us without a spare exagear license
The config changes are for the "highres" version, which is Windows only.

@mamemaniac: you're right, I remembered it to be less smooth than that on QEMU... I'm surprised the fade-in/fade-out are so smooth in QEMU.

Sorry for being a shameful n00b and all that, but where can I get Exagear for Pandora? I'm only aware of Android version...

You need to buy Exagear Desktop from eltechs website (the generic armv7 version), and then follow the instructions to install it. There's a topic on these forums where dimag0g provided an adapted install script that's quite handy. (I also advise using a swap file and setting HOME to somewhere on a sdcard to avoid cluttering your NAND).

Hi all,

A few months ago, ptitSeb released a Fallout 1 pnd that used dosbox.
Should i try to make a Qemu backed Fallout 1 pnd for testing?
While playable, it wasn't very smooth and I couldn't imagine playing the whole game this way.
Recently, Exagear released an update that was supposed to improve game performance. I had only quickly tried Fallout 1 with Exagear before but didn't give it too much time because the fade-out/fade-in transitions were horribly slow, while the rest of the game still felt not that smooth.

I tried again with the latest version of Exagear, the standard windows version of Fallout still suffers from the same problems, but when looking at the configuration files for the High-res version, I noticed that you could change the duration of the fade effects. I changed the settings to use the 640*480 resolution (it didn't seem to like it when I tried 800*480), DirectDraw instead of DirectX 9 (not sure if that changes a lot) and reduced the fade duration to 0.

And then it worked smoothly. There are still a few hiccups here and there, but I can now imagine playing the full game on the Pandora. I'll check out Fallout 2 as well, in the hope of being able to play the recently released "Fallout 1.5" and keep you posted of the results.

(TLDR: Fallout 1 works fine on the Pandora with Exagear and some config file tweaking)
Nice with this newer Exagear Version but for me the install of the newer Version never worked here.
Did you adapted the install Script of it?

I want maybe to prepare a "Preinstalled DiskDump Image" with an installed Exagear.
Because every SD Card have their own exactly Byte Size will Exagear automatic ask for a new Activation Key when this DD Image will be installed.
In this Way we do not have a Conflict with the Copyright....
...because every User of this DiskDump Image must use his own Serial of Exagear.

Good Idea?

I asked EvilDragon for rectivating my OP Qemu Account for Uploading these Images then..but no Answer yet.

I don't think I did anything differently from usual to install the new exagear.
For the preinstalled image, you have to check with Eltechs, even if there is still a need for the serial, you don't necessarily have the rights to distribute Exagear.

I don't think I did anything differently from usual to install the new exagear.
For the preinstalled image, you have to check with Eltechs, even if there is still a need for the serial, you don't necessarily have the rights to distribute Exagear.
Ok..thx for the Warning ;)
I will write them an Email about that :)

That's on a Ghz. I don't know how it will run on a CC, I think the memory footprint of exagear is quite high so there might be problem with the RAM, And since it's still not perfect on a Ghz there's a chance it will be a bit slow on a CC.

I've installed Fallout 2 in order to play the Fallout 1.5: Resurrection mod, and it seems to be working as well. Movies are slow (it gets stuck for ages on the first frame, so I've always skipped them), but I was able to create my character and move her around in the first area and that seemed smooth enough.

Back