Fascinated About Savestates In Frodo

0-bake

hi,

i just made some snapshots in the frodo beta 11, because i heard some people having trouble with it.
i didn't had any troubles, but i recognized that you can just load a snapshot, without having the disk image loaded and the game continues.

i mean, it's not a real surprise, because every snapshot generates 4 files with 16K, which makes 64K, which is the whole memory.
but my question is, what will happen, if a game has to load data, another level for example? is it enough to just attach the disk image before?

i mean, it's a great feature, because you don't have to load the game you wan't to play anymore. the disadvantage is, that a snapshots name is created by the attached disk image, you don't have slots like in other emus. and i'm not sure, if the number of snapshots is limited.

i have to try out again...

Unfortunately, the c64 disk has to be inserted if you want to play a multiload game.

This is not neccesary when you play a single load game. (of wich the are MANY)

but my question is, what will happen, if a game has to load data, another level for example?
Many scene demos crash when they need to load data. Sometimes turning on 1541 emulation helps, but most of the time emulation just stops.

Just try using any of the 'Blast from the past' disks. When (in the blast menu) you select the game you want to run, emulation stops. Not much of a problem as one can start the game directly.

Gonna try making some snapshots....

Last edited by a moderator:
0-bake posted on Sep 8 2004 at 12:59 AM said:
i didn't had any troubles, but i recognized that you can just load a snapshot, without having the disk image loaded and the game continues.
Just like the game would continue if you remove the floppy disk (image) during gameplay.

i mean, it's not a real surprise, because every snapshot generates 4 files with 16K, which makes 64K, which is the whole memory.
You're forgetting the color ram, which is 1k of 4-bit RAM. This and other needed information (like registers,etc.) is contained in a fifth file.
Question to Mike: Why is it split up in several files anyway? Whouldn't it make more sense to write all data in one file?

but my question is, what will happen, if a game has to load data, another level for example? is it enough to just attach the disk image before?
Worked for me on Pirates! It should work on any game that doesn't come with it's own fast loader that needs true floppy emulation.

Greetings,
SvOlli

I can´t get snapshots to work at all. When i select "save snapshot" and try to select an empty slot in the list, frodo just freezes. Any help?

Be patient Horscht, there's no "now saving" message but it is doing something, wait about 20-30 seconds to be sure before you panic! It does take a little while for me.

®

SvOlli posted on Sep 8 2004 at 11:30 AM said:
Question to Mike: Why is it split up in several files anyway? Whouldn't it make more sense to write all data in one file?

I can't create files bigger than 16k without random garbage appearing in them. That's why it took this long to debug save states and include them. You generally expect to be able to read back the same data you've written :)

Hey Snaff, any idea why my Frodo savestates don't seem to survive between sessions? They work fine until I switch the GP32 off, then next time I come to it, the list is blank! I may be doing something wrong...?

I'm using Beta 11.

®

Shirohagen posted on Sep 8 2004 at 09:38 PM said:
Hey Snaff, any idea why my Frodo savestates don't seem to survive between sessions? They work fine until I switch the GP32 off, then next time I come to it, the list is blank! I may be doing something wrong...?

I'm using Beta 11.

®

Have you tried loading from a blank slot?

Er, no, I haven't - I'll give that a try tonight, perhaps my "Better Dead Than Alien" save is there, just invisible.

Is this a problem you have experienced? I think one or two other people have mentioned it here. Great emulator though, worth buyng a GP32 for Frodo alone!

®

Horscht posted on Sep 8 2004 at 01:34 PM said:
I can´t get snapshots to work at all. When i select "save snapshot" and try to select an empty slot in the list, frodo just freezes. Any help?
Yes. This problem is solved by doing nothing. Saving takes up to 30 seconds. After saving it just pops back to the menu or game.

Greetings,
SvOlli

Yup, just tried this and the slots are definately blank when I restart the GP32, and hold no savestate even when selected. Everything works fine unitl I swith of the GP32 which kind of renders it pointless for me, has anyone else had this problem or can suggest anything I can try? I'm baffled if it works for other people...

®

Shirohagen posted on Sep 9 2004 at 09:34 PM said:

Yup, just tried this and the slots are definately blank when I restart the GP32, and hold no savestate even when selected. Everything works fine unitl I swith of the GP32 which kind of renders it pointless for me, has anyone else had this problem or can suggest anything I can try? I'm baffled if it works for other people...

®

exactly the same for me,.. please snaff look into it because this would be the most incredible thing ever.....

frolik posted on Sep 11 2004 at 10:50 PM said:
Shirohagen posted on Sep 9 2004 at 09:34 PM said:

®

exactly the same for me,.. please snaff look into it because this would be the most incredible thing ever.....

Does it make any difference if you delete the gpmm/c64/frodo/ directory and all its contents? There should only be temporary and snapshot files in there currently.

OK this is wierd...

I don't seem to be able to delete the Frodo folder. I have tried COMI & GPFM on the GP32 itself with no luck, and when I browse the SMC with my card reader, my Mac says the file is locked (it shows a locked symbol on the icon too) but the option to unlock it is greyed out. Also within the Frodo folder are files with no icon and gibberish names which don't show up on the GP32 at all.

Is there any way to delete this folder? Has Frodo created it with strange permissions which mean it cannnot be deleted conventionally (or even written to - hence the problem)? Also if I delete it, won't Frodo recreate the symptom, as the folder was created by Frodo in the first place...

Finally, why might this be working for some people and not others? That seems to be the question which would cut straight to the problem...

...actually got a Batman savestate to exist between 2 sessions today but when I switched it on for the 3rd session it had gone again!

®

Shirohagen posted on Sep 12 2004 at 07:35 PM said:
OK this is wierd...

I don't seem to be able to delete the Frodo folder. I have tried COMI & GPFM on the GP32 itself with no luck, and when I browse the SMC with my card reader, my Mac says the file is locked (it shows a locked symbol on the icon too) but the option to unlock it is greyed out. Also within the Frodo folder are files with no icon and gibberish names which don't show up on the GP32 at all.

Is there any way to delete this folder? Has Frodo created it with strange permissions which mean it cannnot be deleted conventionally (or even written to - hence the problem)? Also if I delete it, won't Frodo recreate the symptom, as the folder was created by Frodo in the first place...

Finally, why might this be working for some people and not others? That seems to be the question which would cut straight to the problem...

...actually got a Batman savestate to exist between 2 sessions today but when I switched it on for the 3rd session it had gone again!

®

I have sort of the same problem, but iI know why you can't delete the folder :)
At least on my SMC were 30 or so fnested olders created, so the pathname is too long to access the files inside :-O
Maybe these 30 folders are the reason why saving a state takes so long.
Any ideas?
Recently I got access to an SMC reader on a PC, I will try to reproduce the "bug" and hope I can delete ithen.

I get this a lot, have to run scandisk in windows to covert the lost clusters to files, and then delete them. damn frodo saves, I wish they worked better :(

i tried to compile the frodo source, but i couldn't make it. i asked around but nobody knows the settings or compiler cofigurations the author uses.
i really want to try to add a better gui with slots for the savestates and so on, but i really won't do commando-lines or makefiles like we did back in 1985. the dos ages are over and i don't want to go into that now again....

Back