Fastest music player on openPandora

Suilu/IP

Still Fresh
I am looking for fastest (least consuming CPU and thus battery) media player for my music, so far I used Audacious with great results down-clocking to 200 Mhz without any problems. But I was curious maybe theres a player that could work under slower CPU clock conditions say... 100 Mhz?

Just btw I am playing m4a (AAC), but would be glad if the player could play FLAC as well (but not necessarily).

Thanks in advance!

I think the new kernel will handle underclocking etc automatically, so possibly try various media players with the new kernel, and see what the remaining battery-life meter says?

I ran some tests past year, and i also found that audacious was the less cpu-greedy.

I also found it a bit unstable so now i stick with deadbeef.

Alsaplayer may use few cpu too.

I just tested Rockbox and it runs on 100 mhz with few glitches and on 150Mhz 100% smooth. Thanks, I will try those too :)

alsaplayer uses quite a bit less CPU than audacious, but it does have trouble with flac's id3 tags

I wish there were a music player with the playlist load speed and playback quality of Audacious, the album art functions of Exaile, working cache settings and full screen visualizations.

I wish there were a music player with the playlist load speed and playback quality of Audacious, the album art functions of Exaile, working cache settings and full screen visualizations.

I think Gnome MPlayer might be the closest to what you want, then. The major downside to using it is that it doesn't keep track of your media library, though.

I wish for someone to make a special pandora distro that is just cut down to a music app.. and nothing else... so can boot the distro from the sd card.. and just have a music program running.. and nothing else.

just have a music program running.. and nothing else.

I really would appreciate that. my lovely iriver 320 player just broke, and I m thinking of spending the extra money for a new (used) one or the Pandora upgrade.

I heard about the incredible sound of he Pandora, but is it also that handy in daily use like a rockbox-running-"mp3"player?

disregarding all the other awesomeness. driving by bike or car and trying to cope one-handed with a full distro just to listen to some music wouldn`t amuse me but the police.

You see I need a reason to upgrade. I love the whole Pandora concept. I wish there would be more open source hardware in my life!

makes sence! I missed that and now that I found the pandorap-port-section and the discussions, its time to spend money!

Last edited by a moderator:
Consider mpg123 and cplay. If you're smart about it, you don't even need to bother with X windows.

mp3s themselves take a whole lot of processing power, unless there is specialized hardware. 100 MHz is unreasonable unless you downmix or play in mono. 150 MHz is doable, assuming you're not doing anything else.

But there's really no need to underclock the system to 100 MHz. Even someone looking to get every bit of life out of their Pandora should be fine with 200-300 MHz at the very least.

I wish for someone to make a special pandora distro that is just cut down to a music app.. and nothing else... so can boot the distro from the sd card.. and just have a music program running.. and nothing else.
You have that if you autostart xmms or any audio player.

I don't see the problem.

I think he means something, that will startup in 5 seconds or so.

Back